Zalman CNPS9700 Mounting Problem

solacedagony

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2004
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118019
I just ordered this from NewEgg to replace my extremely, horribly noisy fan. I went to mount it up and the retention bracket that for my Asus K8V Deluxe (Athlon 64 754-pin 2800+ CPU) is just short of the mounting pins.
On my motherboard, there are two threaded inserts coming up through, mounted onto a black metal piece which goes on the opposite side of the board. I have screws which have attached springs for mounting. I am replacing a Thermalright SLK-948U heatsink and huge noisy fan with the new setup.
What am I doing wrong? Do I need a different bracket or a different piece that the threaded studs attach to? Please help!

PCD

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
My guess is that your problem originates in that the retention bracket you describe is not the original mounting mechanism for the board but belongs to the Thermalright cooler.

The original mounting mechanism is a black plastic frame that is fastened to a silver colored backplate. There are no springs on the original mounting mechanism.

solacedagony

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2004
Oh geez, you're right! I built this system like 2-3 years ago and it's been a long time since I've had to open it. Is there anywhere I can buy another one of these original mounting brackets?

PCD

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
You could try ask at the local hardware pusher if they have a thrown out socket 754 laying or knows if it's possible to order that mounting frame.