External HDD Enclosure using USB question.

ms

Hi,

I'm thinking about getting an External HDD Enclosure such as the Manhattan
USB 2.0 3.5" External HDD Enclosure and have a couple of questions.

1) Assuming they work well, what kind of data transfer rates do they
achieve over USB and is it a lot slower than a normal IDE connection? Is
the speed bottleneck the speed of the USB connection rather than the hard
disk's speed?

2) How can I tell if my USB ports are USB 2.0 or not? I've looked in
'device manager' which doesn't seem to say whether it's v. 2.0 or not.

3. I only have 2 USB ports and both are currently in use by 2 printers.
I've seen a 4 port USB hub, which has one end to connect to a USB port in
my PC and the other end which provides 4 USB input ports. Is there any
reason why I can't buy one of these and use all the devices as normal (the
printers don't get much use) rather than buying a card and having to open
the PC up and install it (I'm physically disabled and opening the PC and
installing things is a major mission)?

Many thanks,

MS

dl

Everest Home will reveal a wealth of info
http://www.lavalys.com/products.php?lang=en
3) A USB hub will be fine
2) Everest
1) http://www.necel.com/en/faq/f_usbspec.html one site that gives info
Whether the actual data rate is important to you may depend on what your
using the disk for. eg Office docs may be fine, but video/graphics
manipulation may be too slow.

"MS" <matthews@mailsnare.---nojunktakeout---.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm thinking about getting an External HDD Enclosure such as the Manhattan
> USB 2.0 3.5" External HDD Enclosure and have a couple of questions.
>
> 1) Assuming they work well, what kind of data transfer rates do they
> achieve over USB and is it a lot slower than a normal IDE connection? Is
> the speed bottleneck the speed of the USB connection rather than the hard
> disk's speed?
>
> 2) How can I tell if my USB ports are USB 2.0 or not? I've looked in
> 'device manager' which doesn't seem to say whether it's v. 2.0 or not.
>
> 3. I only have 2 USB ports and both are currently in use by 2 printers.
> I've seen a 4 port USB hub, which has one end to connect to a USB port in
> my PC and the other end which provides 4 USB input ports. Is there any
> reason why I can't buy one of these and use all the devices as normal (the
> printers don't get much use) rather than buying a card and having to open
> the PC up and install it (I'm physically disabled and opening the PC and
> installing things is a major mission)?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> MS

ms

Many, many thanks DL.

Wow 'Everest' is one great bit of software, so much better than MSInfo32
which is now redundant! In fact Everest looks so good it has already
graduated to a desktop icon even after running it just once --that's not
bad going on my machine (it is also now bookmarked in my 'Great Free
Software' folder). The bad news is that Everest says the USB controller is
version 1, no mention of version 2, so I will have to also buy a USB 2
card and install it. Oh well.

Thanks also for the USB NEC link, which informs me speeds are approx.
60MB/s which will be fine for me. It is in fact for video files but to be
used as a repository and not for editing or such like.

Cheers,

MS

PS. This is the reply I made to you in 'hardware':

"Thanks... and I forgot to add microsoft.public.win2000.hardware to my
recipient list before posting and so posted here as well. Sorry about the
multi-post."

DL emailed this:
> Everest Home will reveal a wealth of info
> http://www.lavalys.com/products.php?lang=en
> 3) A USB hub will be fine
> 2) Everest
> 1) http://www.necel.com/en/faq/f_usbspec.html one site that gives info
> Whether the actual data rate is important to you may depend on what your
> using the disk for. eg Office docs may be fine, but video/graphics
> manipulation may be too slow.
>
> "MS" <matthews@mailsnare.---nojunktakeout---.net> wrote in message
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I'm thinking about getting an External HDD Enclosure such as the Manhattan
>>USB 2.0 3.5" External HDD Enclosure and have a couple of questions.
>>
>>1) Assuming they work well, what kind of data transfer rates do they
>>achieve over USB and is it a lot slower than a normal IDE connection? Is
>>the speed bottleneck the speed of the USB connection rather than the hard
>>disk's speed?
>>
>>2) How can I tell if my USB ports are USB 2.0 or not? I've looked in
>>'device manager' which doesn't seem to say whether it's v. 2.0 or not.
>>
>>3. I only have 2 USB ports and both are currently in use by 2 printers.
>>I've seen a 4 port USB hub, which has one end to connect to a USB port in
>>my PC and the other end which provides 4 USB input ports. Is there any
>>reason why I can't buy one of these and use all the devices as normal (the
>>printers don't get much use) rather than buying a card and having to open
>>the PC up and install it (I'm physically disabled and opening the PC and
>>installing things is a major mission)?
>>
>>Many thanks,
>>
>>MS

dl