RDP clients cannot log on

Mike

Splendid

I have started getting the message on my W2K server with Terminal Services:

" The client could not establish a connection to the remote computer"

The most likely causes for this error are:
1. Remote connections might not be enabled at the remote computer.
not likely since I have 10 others connected and I have 25 licenses.
However, when I look at licensing, I see 29 Per Server Reached.
2. The Maximum number of connections was exceeded at the remote computer.
I have checked the remote connections in the TSM Configuration.
On the
Network Adapter tab, the # of connections is unlimited
3. A network error occurred while establishing the connection.

I only have 13 workstations on the network, but they were recently replaced
with Win XP Professionals. I also have 6 remote workstations, but not all
are on at the same time. Any suggestions on how to resolve this issue?

Does this happen over a WAN, through a firewall?

Also, if SP2 is installed on the XP machines, try turning off the builtin
firewall feature, it shouldn't make a difference, but it might be blocking
the connection attempt.

Also go into the TS Manager and look for disconnected or idle sessions.
Reset all the idle and disconnected sessions to make sure they are not
locking you connections.

Hope this helps.

"Mike" wrote:

> I have started getting the message on my W2K server with Terminal Services:
>
> " The client could not establish a connection to the remote computer"
>
> The most likely causes for this error are:
> 1. Remote connections might not be enabled at the remote computer.
> not likely since I have 10 others connected and I have 25 licenses.
> However, when I look at licensing, I see 29 Per Server Reached.
> 2. The Maximum number of connections was exceeded at the remote computer.
> I have checked the remote connections in the TSM Configuration.
> On the
> Network Adapter tab, the # of connections is unlimited
> 3. A network error occurred while establishing the connection.
>
> I only have 13 workstations on the network, but they were recently replaced
> with Win XP Professionals. I also have 6 remote workstations, but not all
> are on at the same time. Any suggestions on how to resolve this issue?

Mike

Splendid

The workstation in question is connected to the LAN, however, I am
experiencing the same issue when connecting through the firewall. I don't
believe this workstation is at SP2, but will check.

"McGraw" wrote:

> Does this happen over a WAN, through a firewall?
>
> Also, if SP2 is installed on the XP machines, try turning off the builtin
> firewall feature, it shouldn't make a difference, but it might be blocking
> the connection attempt.
>
> Also go into the TS Manager and look for disconnected or idle sessions.
> Reset all the idle and disconnected sessions to make sure they are not
> locking you connections.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> "Mike" wrote:
>
> > I have started getting the message on my W2K server with Terminal Services:
> >
> > " The client could not establish a connection to the remote computer"
> >
> > The most likely causes for this error are:
> > 1. Remote connections might not be enabled at the remote computer.
> > not likely since I have 10 others connected and I have 25 licenses.
> > However, when I look at licensing, I see 29 Per Server Reached.
> > 2. The Maximum number of connections was exceeded at the remote computer.
> > I have checked the remote connections in the TSM Configuration.
> > On the
> > Network Adapter tab, the # of connections is unlimited
> > 3. A network error occurred while establishing the connection.
> >
> > I only have 13 workstations on the network, but they were recently replaced
> > with Win XP Professionals. I also have 6 remote workstations, but not all
> > are on at the same time. Any suggestions on how to resolve this issue?

I don't know if you are using ISA or not as a FW, but we had an issue where
the firewall client was turned on on the workstation, and that did not allow
any RDP connections. Once we turned off the Firewall client, everything
worked fine.

Hope this helps.