Is my new custom computer junk????

josh123

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
Hi, I don't know if this question is in the right category, but hopefully it is. Ok, so I have a:

MOBO: MSI K9N6PGM2-V2

GRAPHICS: Integrated 256MB nVIDIA 6150 V2 ( I think)

PSU: 300W basic PSU that came with my Foxconn case

CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 240 2.8ghz ( I don't over clock because I have just the stock cooler)

RAM: DDR2 667mhz 2GB Centron memory

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 250GB SATA and a Maxtor 200GB IDE HDD for Hackintosh, but I cant get it to work (let me know if Hackintosh will work with my system)

DVD/CD Drive: ASUS Super Multi Drive (Burns every CD and DVD format available, except Blu ray) and a Pioneer DVD-ROM IDE ($2.00 at a thrift store)

NETWORKING: A D-Link b/g PCI card

MONITORS: A 19" DELL monitor ($30 on Craigslist) and a SAMSUNG 15" monitor ( I got it free last week, but I cant use it because I have only one video output)

KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Both Logitech basic wired keyboard and basic wireless mouse

Also, I am only 14 years old and built and planned this system by myself. (My dad helped me out on some of the wiring and stuff) I only spent $150 on my entire system not including the keyboard and mouse (They were Christmas presents). Please let me know what you think of my system and what I should upgrade on. Thank you, Josh

cs82575

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010

I think for being 14 yrs old and doing this on your own you should be extremly proud of yourself.. don't look at the specs..look at what you acomplished. I'm 34 and just trying to learn all of this .... Ya did good :)

dopey117

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
i cant give much advice but i agree with the above poster you should look at what you accomplished not the specs... Now that you know what your doing you could save up and build yourself a really nice pc or continue upgrading your current one.

djg9205

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
I can't really provide you with any recommendations without knowing what you're planning on using the computer for (i.e. gaming, mutlitasking, media, etc.) They way you're planning on using the computer greatly affects almost every part you're going to use in your build. If you can let me know what you want this computer to do, I might be able to recommend some things.

dEAne

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Socket AM2+/AM2 CPU (Max Support) Phenom II AM3 CPU Ready Chipset NVIDIA® MCP61P (6150SE) DDR2 Memory
DDR2 667/800 Memory Channel Dual DIMM Slots 2 Max Memory (GB) 8

Ok Your Graphics you can buy a 512Mb PCI-e card.
Memory your ram try DDR2 800 (much little faster) you only have to slots for this that means you buy 2 memory sticks for a total of 8Gb. For a Windows 7 Ultimate get about 4Gb.

For the Maxtor 200GB IDE HDD for Hackintosh - go to your BIOS make sure it is detected. Check the IDE cable connected properly and power secured. It should work.mm you have another DVD with a IDE connector on it - consult the manual it has a MASTER and SLAVE settings on it so you can set the Maxtor to Master and the DVD to Slave or vice versa then go to your BIOS to confirm. that is for now. try it with your dad.