Policies and security

Hi everyone

I posted this question elsewhere but it didn't score a lot of "hits" so
wonder if it should have been posted here. There was one response which I
didn't really understand.

I have XP Pro SP2 and have several users set up. Some have Admin rights and
others have only basic rights. I need to specify exactly *who* can have
access to *what* applications by user name, rather than by their status as
an Administrator or Ordinary user. I know that I can copy the shortcut(s)
into their start folder but that won't stop them using Windows Explorer to
find the application and run it from there. I anticipate that I'll have to
set specific policies to allow/deny access but, as I've found out from NGs
and various internet sites, I shouldn't "play" with this until I know what
I'm doing. It's rather like the warnings I saw about the registry a couple
of years ago when I started to delve into that. I'm fairly confident about
that now but not about secpol.msc or gpedit.msc.

Is this the way to grant/deny access to these applications or is there some
other way? Ideally, I'd like a spreadsheet with Applications listed along
the top and Accounts down the side - I'd simply tick the intersections where
I'd like to grant access but I know it's not that simple!!!

Thanks for your time and patience.

Apologies - I just got some comprehensive responses to the question I posted
elsewhere. If I can't get it to work, I'll ask again!