Light and noiseless cooler - which one?

musicmaker

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2006
I'm building a E6600 and need a cpu cooler that isn't too heavy but still noiseless.

I'm going to transport my rig a lot because I'm making live audio recordings.

I've read that heavy coolers can damage the MB under transport so it's got to be lightweight but as I'm also using the PC in my studio it's got to be quiet too.

I'm only planning to OC to 3 GHz. (333MHz FSB)

I've been looking at the following:

NorthQ 3316
Zalman CNPS8000

Which should I choose? And are there others that are better?

Thanks

dimwhited

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
I would look into liquid cooling. it would require only a very small block on the cpu, thus minimizing the strain on the mobo. The heavy components would be attached to the side of the case, off of the mobo. I don;t know much about liquid cooling yet, I was actually in this forum researching it.... I would read the sticky, i just got done with it, its a great read!

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
I know it isnt listed there but the Scythe Ninja is the best of the "light" coolers ive seen around. Keep a good airflow within the case and that fin density will do wonders.
And by the way, thats what backplates are for...

Jerfer

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
the original fan is light and quiet~ the radiators of water cooling is also heavy. small fan do not have much better performance than the original cooler in the cpu box.

i recommend you to lower your cpu voltage when overclocking, keep your air flow in your chassis good, and use the original fan~~

i am now using e6300 at 1.18v(default 1.325v) and 2.8GHZ with original fan at 900rpm, the cpu temperature is below 30 degrees normally and 35 degrees under gaming condition. the core temperature is normally under 45 degrees. :p

musicmaker

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2006
Thanks for the replies. I'll go with the stock cooler then. If I don't like it or I can't OC as much as I want without raising the voltage I can just replace it later.