Sign in with
Your question

General Question about Gigabyte's C.I.A.2 on P965 Chipset

Last response: in Overclocking
December 19, 2006 10:40:30 PM

Hey all,

I've been using a dual AMD MP2400+ rig for about 3 years now (and have swapped out most components except for the mobo), and am ready to step up to the GA-965P-DQ6. I just ordered an Intel E6600 and a pack of Corsair XMS2 (2 x 1GB) TWIN2X2048-6400C4 and a pack of of Patriot eXtreme Performance (2 x 1GB) PDC22G6400LLK. Both are PC 6400 with 4-4-4-12 timings.

I'm pretty damn handy with PCs, but new to overclocking. I was wondering what kind of success folks have had with C.I.A.2 with stock cooling with the E6600 chip. Is it a waste of time and should I immediately start playing with FSB (and VERY carefully adjusting voltage settings)?

Question 1: By how much will the FSB boost with C.I.A.2?
Question 2: Will my motherboard use the proper RAM timings/frequency for my memory, or must I manually adjust to benefit. Will C.I.A.2 help here?

Thanks for any input!
December 19, 2006 11:10:13 PM

Quote:
Hey all,

I've been using a dual AMD MP2400+ rig for about 3 years now (and have swapped out most components except for the mobo), and am ready to step up to the GA-965P-DQ6. I just ordered an Intel E6600 and a pack of Corsair XMS2 (2 x 1GB) TWIN2X2048-6400C4 and a pack of of Patriot eXtreme Performance (2 x 1GB) PDC22G6400LLK. Both are PC 6400 with 4-4-4-12 timings.

I'm pretty damn handy with PCs, but new to overclocking. I was wondering what kind of success folks have had with C.I.A.2 with stock cooling with the E6600 chip. Is it a waste of time and should I immediately start playing with FSB (and VERY carefully adjusting voltage settings)?

Question 1: By how much will the FSB boost with C.I.A.2?
Question 2: Will my motherboard use the proper RAM timings/frequency for my memory, or must I manually adjust to benefit. Will C.I.A.2 help here?

Thanks for any input!

C.I.A.2 is for sissies. Set the FSB, Timings and Voltages manually.
December 19, 2006 11:16:34 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Hey all,

That was as helpful as my reply to yours...

...on Dancer!!!... on Vixen!!!... on...Prancer!!!... on Chicken???
Related resources
December 19, 2006 11:29:20 PM

Quote:

Well thank you for that objective response! :) 

In all seriousness, what about my second question? Will the memory's proper timings be set by my mobo or will I need to fool around with them?
December 19, 2006 11:38:09 PM

Seriously, you will have to hand-tune the memory settings. My memory has 5-5-5-15 programmed in the SPD, but I ended up running it at 5-4-5-12 after changing the memory multiplier to 2 , lowering the processor multiplier and raising the FSB to 400. This gives me a E6600 running at 3.2GHz with 1:1 FSB:D RAM ratio at DDR2-800. C.I.A.2 just won't do that.
December 19, 2006 11:42:16 PM

sruane - did you have to tweak any of the voltage settings for vcore or memory?
December 19, 2006 11:49:47 PM

Yes. I added +0.2v to vDIMM and +0.10v to the FSB.

I didn't need to add any voltage to vCore.
December 19, 2006 11:51:59 PM

Not to sound like a smart ass, but the only way to figure out the proper voltage levels is by making baby increments, praying the system posts, then running Prime95 overnight?

Seems like an imprecise process!
December 19, 2006 11:58:44 PM

Quote:
Not to sound like a smart ass, but the only way to figure out the proper voltage levels is by making baby increments, praying the system posts, then running Prime95 overnight?

Seems like an imprecise process!

That's one way. I also like to boot from a Memtest 86+ CD because if the memory is messed up, it'll scramble your copy of windows if you try to boot it.

Another way it to use the settings of someone who has a stable configuration. I have a stable configuration running an e6600 at 3.2GHz 1:1 DDR2-800 if you need the settings.
December 20, 2006 12:03:32 AM

I will be using stock cooling. What, pre-tell, are your BIOS settings? I presume you're running the F7 BIOS?

I think we are running similar hardware:

Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6
Intel E6600
Corsair XMS2 (2 x 1GB) TWIN2X2048-6400C4 (4-4-4-12)
Patriot eXtreme Performance (2 x 1GB) PDC22G6400LLK (4-4-4-12)
December 20, 2006 12:11:24 AM

Quote:
I will be using stock cooling. What, pre-tell, are your BIOS settings? I presume you're running the F7 BIOS?

I think we are running similar hardware:

Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6
Intel E6600
Corsair XMS2 (2 x 1GB) TWIN2X2048-6400C4 (4-4-4-12)
Patriot eXtreme Performance (2 x 1GB) PDC22G6400LLK (4-4-4-12)

Same Motherboard and Processor, except I'm running OCZ memory (2x1Gb) at 5-4-5-12. I'm using a Zallman cooler and the F7 BIOS. Right mow, as I'm writing this, my CPU temperature is 44C

What are my BIOS settings? Here are the main ones-

CPU Multiplier 8
FSB 400
Memory Multiplier 2
Memory timings 5-4-5-12 (your memory will run tighter)
FSB Voltage +0.1
Memory voltage +0.2
December 20, 2006 12:17:28 AM

You rock--I appreciate the info. Another quick question since you appear to be very knowledgeable--why will my "extreme" RAM DIMMS not properly share with the F7 BIOS their SPD information?

I thought the whole point of buying high end memory was #1 for overclocking but #2 for the BIOS to read the right timing capabilities?
December 20, 2006 12:18:41 AM

As an example of how much C.I.A.2 sucks, here's an excerpt from the DS3 manual. It should be pretty much the same as what you'd get for C.I.A.2 on the DQ6:
Quote:
Cruise: Automatically increase CPU frequency (5%,7%) by CPU loading.
Sports: Automatically increase CPU frequency (7%,9%) by CPU loading.
Racing: Automatically increase CPU frequency (9%,11%) by CPU loading.
Turbo: Automatically increase CPU frequency (15%,17%) by CPU loading.
Full Thrust: Automatically increase CPU frequency (17%,19%) by CPU loading.

Trust me, you can do much better manually.

So, yeah. C.I.A.2 is for sissies.
December 20, 2006 12:27:11 AM

Quote:
You rock--I appreciate the info. Another quick question since you appear to be very knowledgeable--why will my "extreme" RAM DIMMS not properly share with the F7 BIOS their SPD information?

I thought the whole point of buying high end memory was #1 for overclocking but #2 for the BIOS to read the right timing capabilities?

Your memory may require more voltage than the P965 chipset provides by default (1.8v). Some manufacturers program their SPDs with looser timings to get around this so you can at least boot to raise the voltage. Your memory may need between 1.9 and 2.1v. Mine needed 2.0v, so I added 0.2v and tightened the timings (from 5-5-5-15 to 5-4-5-12) after that.
December 20, 2006 12:27:59 AM

Hi ya jminiman. Here's my two centz...
With sruane's help in the past two months I got these settings working for me as laid out in the BIOS using the F7 version VERBATIM.
PS: You ask nine different people & you'll get nine different answers. Here are my findings...

A wise man once said to me:
"User the Force" & remember the DISCLAIMER!!!

DISCLAIMER: If someone reading this wishes to OC & test their system using these parameters below please do so at your own risk. The parameters are for my specific hardware. I'm not sure if it would work equally for a different system.
I took a chance with the help from the guys hanging out here & I'm still here writing about it on my OC'ed system. I'm only posting my findings to make it easy/easier for noobies like me on OCing. Your welcome.

My system is stable @ 3.20Ghz with the settings below.
My temp readings are hovering @ around 42C when idle.
When I run 3DMark06 the temp goes up to 50C. This temp reading I get from Intel's Thermal Analysis Tool.

The changes made in the BIOS are colored in below:

[Gigabyte BIOS (M.I.T.) Menu Options word-for-word with the F7 BIOS update]

Robust Graphics Booster: [AUTO]
CPU Clock Ratio: (9x)
CPU Host Frequency (Mhz): [356]
PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) [100]
C.I.A.2: [Disabled]
System Memory Multiplier: [2.00]

Memory Frequency (Mhz) {this option is shaded out}: [712]

======================================

{Pressing Ctrl + F1 key Combo At Main BIOS Screen Enables DRAM Timings Below}

DRAM Timing Selectable: [AUTO]
CAS Latency Time: [grayed out]
DRAM RAS# To CAS# Delay: [grayed out]
DRAM RAS# Precharge: [grayed out]
Precharge Delay: [grayed out]
ACT to ACT Delay: [Auto]
Rank Write To READ Delay: [Auto]
Write To Precharge Delay: [Auto]
Refresh To ACT Delay: [0]
Read To Precharge Delay: [Auto]
Memory Performance Enhance: [Normal]

{blinking} ***** System Voltage NOT Optimized!! ***** {blinking}

System Voltage Control: [Manual]
DDR2 OverVoltage Control: [+0.025V]

PCI-E OverVoltage Control: [Normal]
{option appears after pressing Ctrl + F1 key combo}

(G)MCH OverVoltage Control: [Normal]
FSB OverVoltage Control: [+0.15V]
CPU OverVoltage Control: [1.37500V]

Thanks for trying. I think I'm stuck with a max of 3.40Ghz.

--------------------------------------------------

I was running it with the stock CPU Fan upto 3.24Ghz.
Since I got a new CPU Fan Cooler now since I'm OC'ing it at a stable 3.4Ghz. I went & ordered the ThermalTake BIG TYPHOON-V with the variable speed controller for $44 from EWIZ.COM.
December 20, 2006 1:14:40 AM

thanks, suzuki,

Two questions:

1. Are the temps listed for the stock cooler or after, with the Typhoon?
2. My memory is 4-4-4-12 and v2.1 or v2.2. Should my memory timing settings be different from yours? Or should I just leave them be and hope the DQ6 configures them correctly?
December 20, 2006 1:20:46 AM

Quote:
thanks, suzuki,

Two questions:

2. My memory is 4-4-4-12 and v2.1 or v2.2. Should my memory timing settings be different from yours? Or should I just leave them be and hope the DQ6 configures them correctly?

Excuse me for jumping in, but if I had your memory. I'd try 4-4-4-14 at 2.1v. Maybe even 4-4-4-12. The SPD will likely be different so the DQ6 won't configure it that way. cpu-z will tell you for sure. You might even get away with a memory multiplier of 2.5 (DDR2-890) if you don't want to lower the processor multiplier and raise the FSB more.
December 20, 2006 1:29:51 AM

What if I play it "safe" and do the following:

1. Put FSB at 333 MHz
2. Bump memory voltage to v2.1
3. Put the Memory Multiplier at 2.5
4. PCI Express to 100 MHz

What kind of a gain over stock would I get with this? I want to do better than the C.I.A.2 crap, but I also want this to be a reasonably quiet/cool machine.

Am I still wimping out here?
December 20, 2006 10:32:51 AM

Quote:
What if I play it "safe" and do the following:

1. Put FSB at 333 MHz
2. Bump memory voltage to v2.1
3. Put the Memory Multiplier at 2.5
4. PCI Express to 100 MHz

What kind of a gain over stock would I get with this? I want to do better than the C.I.A.2 crap, but I also want this to be a reasonably quiet/cool machine.

Am I still wimping out here?

With the default CPU multiplier that will give you 3GHz - a very tame overclock. Your memory will be overclocked a little too. And you should be able to do it with stock cooling. Actually, I've tried these settings myself.
December 21, 2006 8:24:45 AM

Quote:
thanks, suzuki,

Two questions:

Excuse me for jumping in, but if I had your memory. I'd try 4-4-4-14 at 2.1v. Maybe even 4-4-4-12. The SPD will likely be different so the DQ6 won't configure it that way. cpu-z will tell you for sure. You might even get away with a memory multiplier of 2.5 (DDR2-890) if you don't want to lower the processor multiplier and raise the FSB more.

Hi Jminiman. I'm still pretty new at this stuff, too. The settings I obtained were for my memory which is actually labeled 5-5-5-12 on the RAM module itself, even though CPU-Z tells me my ram is at 5-4-5-12. I'll try the suggested CPU-Z timings to see if I get any different results.

Sruane is more experienced than I am at this point. I'm still learnin Y'all.

"The things I go through to save a few hundred bux."
"All I want for XMAS if for my E6600 to run like a CRAY."
!