XP-installing on other PC

I'm about to upgrade my PC which has XP home installed. Can I re-use it on
the new PC (which I am building myself) or do I have to get a new version? I
will not be re-using any components of the old machine.

Steve

In news:csbhh1$uu$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk,
steve church <steve@rivend.freeserve.co.uk> typed:

> I'm about to upgrade my PC which has XP home installed. Can I
> re-use
> it on the new PC (which I am building myself) or do I have to
> get a
> new version? I will not be re-using any components of the old
> machine.

If yours is a retail version, yes, you can reuse it as desired,
whether on a upgraded machine, or a complete new one. The only
restriction is that you can not have it installed on more than
one computer at once.

But if it's an OEM version, its license limits it to the first
computer it's installed on and it can never be moved to another.
Exactly what constitutes a "new" computer is a somewhat gray
area, and people have differing views on this. However in your
case, since you say "I will not be re-using any components of the
old machine," it seems clear that it would be an entirely new
machine and if it's an OEM license, it's not transferable.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Yes you will have to obtain a new XP CD, you cannot use the original XP on
more than one computer.
Mick

If your version is an OEM version (came preinstalled or the CD says OEM)
then no you can not legally transfer it to any other computer. OEM versions
are forever tied to the first system they are activated on. If the version
is a Retail version (either and Upgrade version or a Full version) then yes
you can install it on another system provided you first remove it from any
previous system it was on. If the last time you activated your Upgrade or
Full Retail version on the old system was over 120 days ago then it is very
likely that you will be able to activate on the new system without incident.
If you find that you get a message stating that "The activation centre could
not be reached..." then you will have to activate using the Telephone
method. It is quite painless and simple to do.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"steve church" <steve@rivend.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> I'm about to upgrade my PC which has XP home installed. Can I re-use it on
> the new PC (which I am building myself) or do I have to get a new version?
> I will not be re-using any components of the old machine.
>
> Steve

If you have a retail (boxed) copy of XP Home, then you can transfer that to
the new machine as long as you no longer have it installed on any other
machine. If XP Home was preinstalled on your pc it is likely to be an OEM
version and not retail and is tied to the original computer and you may not
reinstall it on a different machine. If your XP Home is an upgrade version,
you will need a cd from an earlier version of Windows at the time of
installation on the new machine because the upgrade version will ask you at
one point to prove you own a previous version.

steve church wrote:
> I'm about to upgrade my PC which has XP home installed. Can I re-use it on
> the new PC (which I am building myself) or do I have to get a new version? I
> will not be re-using any components of the old machine.
>
> Steve

Assuming a retail license (OEM licenses are not transferable),
simply remove WinXP from the computer it is currently on and then
install it on the new PC. If it's been more than 120 days since you
last activated that specific Product Key, you'll most likely be able to
activate via the Internet without problem. If it's been less, you might
have to make a 5 minute phone call.

Here are the facts pertaining to activation:

Piracy Basics - Microsoft Product Activation
http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/basics/activation/

Windows Product Activation (WPA)
http://www.aumha.org/a/wpa.htm

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Thanks. I'm aware of that. I will be using my old machine with Windows ME so
I will not be using more than one installation.
Is the original installation 'tied' to the hardware footprint of the old
machine? I had an impression that the installation takes an inventory of the
hardware and allows a few changes to be made.

Steve

> Thanks. I'm aware of that. I will be using my old machine with
> Windows ME so I will not be using more than one installation.
> Is the original installation 'tied' to the hardware footprint of the
> old machine? I had an impression that the installation takes an
> inventory of the hardware and allows a few changes to be made.
>
> Steve
> "Mickey W. Barker Sr." <mandpbarker@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>> Yes you will have to obtain a new XP CD, you cannot use the original
>> XP on more than one computer.
>> Mick

If it is an OEM version it can only be installed on the first machine. If
it is a retail version you can install it on a different machine if you
remove it from the first.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

1 PC = 1 copy of XP - therefore if you are not going to use your old machine
there is no problem.Uninstall it from the old machine and then install it on
the new machine (providing its a full/upgrade copy and not an OEM) if it
hasn't been activated for less that 120 days (i think thats the figure) it
will activate over the internet.

--
HTH - Any Advice Appreciated - Please Reply To Newsgroup Only

jel183(UK)

"steve church" <steve@rivend.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> I'm about to upgrade my PC which has XP home installed. Can I re-use it on
> the new PC (which I am building myself) or do I have to get a new version?
> I will not be re-using any components of the old machine.
>
> Steve

...... but I would leave the activation for a couple of weeks just incase you
have to change any of the components of your new machine...

--

"jel183(UK)" <nospam@myhome.com> wrote in message
>1 PC = 1 copy of XP - therefore if you are not going to use your old
>machine there is no problem.Uninstall it from the old machine and then
>install it on the new machine (providing its a full/upgrade copy and not an
>OEM) if it hasn't been activated for less that 120 days (i think thats the
>figure) it will activate over the internet.
>
> --
> HTH - Any Advice Appreciated - Please Reply To Newsgroup Only
>
> jel183(UK)
>
> "steve church" <steve@rivend.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>> I'm about to upgrade my PC which has XP home installed. Can I re-use it
>> on the new PC (which I am building myself) or do I have to get a new
>> version? I will not be re-using any components of the old machine.
>>
>> Steve

My version was bought as an upgrade but it seemed to install ok on a bare
machine. Anyway, it's not an oem version so looks like I can reuse it.

Harry Ohrn wrote:
> If your version is an OEM version (came preinstalled or the CD says
> OEM) then no you can not legally transfer it to any other computer.
> OEM versions are forever tied to the first system they are activated
> on.

Out of curiousity: What is in this case the definition of "system", i.e.
what specific components is the license tied to? The motherboard? The
(primary) hard drive? The casing? If the OP has an OEM license, can he add
and/or remove components in his setup? Can he add memory, a DVD recorder or
a digital camera? Can he replace his CPU with a faster one? Or what if he
removes every single component except his hard drive from his system, and
replaces them with new components?

André Gulliksen wrote:

> Out of curiousity: What is in this case the definition of "system", i.e.
> what specific components is the license tied to? The motherboard? The
> (primary) hard drive? The casing? If the OP has an OEM license, can he add
> and/or remove components in his setup? Can he add memory, a DVD recorder or
> a digital camera? Can he replace his CPU with a faster one? Or what if he
> removes every single component except his hard drive from his system, and
> replaces them with new components?

According to the EULA, an OEM license may not be transferred from
one distinct PC to another PC. However, this most emphatically does not
prohibit one from repairing or upgrading the PC on which an OEM license
is installed.

Now, some people believe that the motherboard is the key component
that defines the "original computer," but the OEM EULA does not make any
such distinction. Others have said that one could successfully argue
that it's the PC's case that is the deciding component, as that is where
one is instructed to affix the OEM CoA label w/Product Key. Again, the
EULA does not specifically define any single component as the computer.

Microsoft has, to date, been very careful _not_ publicly to define
when an incrementally upgraded computer ceases to be the original
computer. The closest I've ever seen a Microsoft employee come to this
definition (in a public forum) is to tell the person making the inquiry
to consult the PC's manufacturer. As the OEM license's support is
solely the responsibility of said manufacturer, they should determine
what sort of hardware changes to allow before the warranty and support
agreements are voided. To paraphrase: An incrementally upgraded
computer ceases to be the original computer, as pertains to the OEM
EULA, only when the *OEM* says it's a different computer. If you've
built the system yourself, and used a generic OEM CD, then _you_ are the
"OEM," and _you_ get to decide when you'll no longer support your product."

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Yes you can transfer the license to another system.