Sign in with
Your question

Cell phone comparisons

Last response: in Site Feedback
July 8, 2011 10:22:04 PM

There should be articles rating cell phones the same way computer hardware is rated.

$0-100 w/o contract best bang for your buck is...

$100-200 w/o contract..

$0 with 2yr contract

$100-200 with 2 yr contract

etc.

I have a consumerreports.org account but they do not keep their reviews of phones as up to date as I would like and I do not know how biased they are.

Thanks.

Also, along the same train of thought, how does TH make its money? Advertising? Do companies pay for articles on their products? Thanks again.

More about : cell phone comparisons

July 11, 2011 2:10:35 PM

While we do have quite a few smartphone comparison articles up on Tom's Guide, doing up a version of this with prices attached would render the feature obsolete way too fast. Many carriers change their promotional pricing on a month to month basis.

As for revenue, advertising helps sustain the network of sites, as well as some non-editorial partnering.
July 11, 2011 8:38:55 PM

jpishgar said:
While we do have quite a few smartphone comparison articles up on Tom's Guide, doing up a version of this with prices attached would render the feature obsolete way too fast. Many carriers change their promotional pricing on a month to month basis.

As for revenue, advertising helps sustain the network of sites, as well as some non-editorial partnering.

Fair enough! Good points. However, I would really like a comprehensive list of phones with reviews. Price is not very important after you made your point. Is my request fair?

Basically I mean like a spreadsheet-type page that lists OS, keyboard(qwerty, num pad, otherwise), processor, screen size, touch screen(yes/no), etc. etc. plus a "special features" column.

Thaks for the response.
July 12, 2011 11:25:02 AM

Ahh, a cellphone chart. Sure, I can be sure our editorial team gets the suggestion. :) 
!