Windows Explorer doesn't refresh after a folder is deleted

Hi

This is a trivial problem really but it's been driving me nuts.

When I delete a folder, say FolderA, in Windows Explorer (Win2K with SP4),
the left hand pane does not refresh itself. ie, FolderA is still visible. If
I then click on it, an error message will come up saying '... is not
accessible. The folder is moved or removed.' I have to close and relaunch
Explorer for the folder list to refresh itself.

Thanks.

Cube
7 answers Last reply
More about windows explorer doesn refresh folder deleted

    Press F5?

    Cube wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > This is a trivial problem really but it's been driving me nuts.
    >
    > When I delete a folder, say FolderA, in Windows Explorer (Win2K with SP4),
    > the left hand pane does not refresh itself. ie, FolderA is still visible. If
    > I then click on it, an error message will come up saying '... is not
    > accessible. The folder is moved or removed.' I have to close and relaunch
    > Explorer for the folder list to refresh itself.
    >
    > Does anyone know how to solve this problem?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Cube

    Tried that many times already but it doesn't refresh.

    Thanks.

    > Press F5?
    >
    > Cube wrote:
    >
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > This is a trivial problem really but it's been driving me nuts.
    > >
    > > When I delete a folder, say FolderA, in Windows Explorer (Win2K with
    SP4),
    > > the left hand pane does not refresh itself. ie, FolderA is still
    visible. If
    > > I then click on it, an error message will come up saying '... is not
    > > accessible. The folder is moved or removed.' I have to close and
    relaunch
    > > Explorer for the folder list to refresh itself.
    > >
    > > Does anyone know how to solve this problem?
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >
    > > Cube

    That's A pretty persistant cache job, and seems to point to an "I.E 5"
    issue.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;273798

    Cube wrote:

    > Tried that many times already but it doesn't refresh.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Press F5?
    >>
    >>Cube wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi
    >>>
    >>>This is a trivial problem really but it's been driving me nuts.
    >>>
    >>>When I delete a folder, say FolderA, in Windows Explorer (Win2K with
    >
    > SP4),
    >
    >>>the left hand pane does not refresh itself. ie, FolderA is still
    >
    > visible. If
    >
    >>>I then click on it, an error message will come up saying '... is not
    >>>accessible. The folder is moved or removed.' I have to close and
    >
    > relaunch
    >
    >>>Explorer for the folder list to refresh itself.
    >>>
    >>>Does anyone know how to solve this problem?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks.
    >>>
    >>>Cube

    The article is a little misleading. In that the "cause" is not "THE" cause. A more truthful cause would be Windows. This issue has been true in all versions of Windows. Your "fix" to close Explorer and reopen it is one way of doing it. The other way to "fix" this is NOT to delete the folder from the folder tree on left. But to delete the folder from the right-pane.

    --
    George Hester
    _________________________________

    Bob I wrote:
    > That's A pretty persistant cache job, and seems to point to an "I.E 5"
    > issue.
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;273798

    I see this problem all the time even though every W2K system I
    use has SP4 and IE6/SP1 - regardless of whether or not "View as
    Web Page" is disabled.

    I also have frequent Explorer refreshment issues in other situations:
    - When I delete files/folders from the Search Results
    - When I delete files/folders from the Recycle Bin
    - When I empty the Recycle Bin

    I frequently talked to MicroSoft techies about these refresh
    issues for a couple of years, with no solution. Since then
    another three years has gone by and still no solution.

    > Cube wrote:
    >

    >>Tried that many times already but it doesn't refresh.
    >>
    >>Thanks.
    >>
    >>"Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>

    >>>Press F5?

    >>SP4),

    >>visible. If

    >>relaunch

    Thanks but the article doesn't seem to apply to my situation. I'm using IE6
    and do not have 'view as web page' enabled.

    George, I will try to delete folder from the right hand pane in the future.
    Thanks for your suggestion.

    Cube

    > That's A pretty persistant cache job, and seems to point to an "I.E 5"
    > issue.
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;273798
    >
    > Cube wrote:
    >
    > > Tried that many times already but it doesn't refresh.
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >
    > > "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>Press F5?

    > > SP4),

    > > visible. If

    > > relaunch

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Rob Stow wrote:
    > Bob I wrote:
    >
    >>That's A pretty persistant cache job, and seems to point to an "I.E 5"
    >>issue.
    >>
    >>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;273798
    >

    > I see this problem all the time even though every W2K system I
    > use has SP4 and IE6/SP1 - regardless of whether or not "View as
    > Web Page" is disabled.
    >
    > I also have frequent Explorer refreshment issues in other situations:
    > - When I delete files/folders from the Search Results
    > - When I delete files/folders from the Recycle Bin
    > - When I empty the Recycle Bin
    >
    > I frequently talked to MicroSoft techies about these refresh
    > issues for a couple of years, with no solution. Since then
    > another three years has gone by and still no solution.

    Just remembered another Recycle Bin refresh-failure situation I
    frequently see:
    1.) Have Explorer open and showing the contents of the RB.
    2.) Use another app or even a second instance of Explorer to
    delete some files.
    3.) Note that the instance of Explorer in (1) does not always
    refresh to display the newly deleted items and using View|Refresh
    does not work. (I often have to click on a different folder and
    then come back to the RB to see the newly deleted items.)

Windows Explorer Internet Explorer Windows