Roaming Profiles too large! HELP!!

My roaming profiles on my 2000 Server network are generally in the area of
50-200 mb. I was able to hone this a bit by removing desktop items,
configuring Temp Internet, etc. But the core profile is still huge. Is
there a way to maintain a 5-10mb size on these? I don't want to limit the
sizes in the policies. Please advise.

Thank You,

Greg
3 answers Last reply
More about roaming profiles large help

    "Gregory" <Gregory@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My roaming profiles on my 2000 Server network are generally in the area of
    > 50-200 mb. I was able to hone this a bit by removing desktop items,
    > configuring Temp Internet, etc. But the core profile is still huge. Is
    > there a way to maintain a 5-10mb size on these? I don't want to limit the
    > sizes in the policies. Please advise.
    >
    > Thank You,
    >
    > Greg

    You have to identify why the roaming profiles are so large. Is it because
    users store data files on their desktop? Force them to use server drives!
    Do they keep their EMail data store in their profile folder? Depending on
    the mail client, you may be able to move it to a server share.

    Mind you, 5..10 MBytes is quite moderate. On a 100 MBit/s
    network it will take 2..3 seconds to copy this amount of data.

    Here's the thing. The email is stored on the server and the MY Docs is as
    well. I think you are missing the point. It seems to be the "Windows"
    Folder and other Folders with in the profile taking up the space.

    Thanks Again

    "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

    > "Gregory" <Gregory@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > My roaming profiles on my 2000 Server network are generally in the area of
    > > 50-200 mb. I was able to hone this a bit by removing desktop items,
    > > configuring Temp Internet, etc. But the core profile is still huge. Is
    > > there a way to maintain a 5-10mb size on these? I don't want to limit the
    > > sizes in the policies. Please advise.
    > >
    > > Thank You,
    > >
    > > Greg
    >
    > You have to identify why the roaming profiles are so large. Is it because
    > users store data files on their desktop? Force them to use server drives!
    > Do they keep their EMail data store in their profile folder? Depending on
    > the mail client, you may be able to move it to a server share.
    >
    > Mind you, 5..10 MBytes is quite moderate. On a 100 MBit/s
    > network it will take 2..3 seconds to copy this amount of data.

    Since I did not make any point I don't think I'm missing any . . .

    You write "It seems to be the Windows folder . . .". I suggest
    you start nailing this issue by determining without any doubt
    whatsovever what consumes those 10 MBytes. There is no
    room for guessing in this game! Let's have a list of folders
    and how much disk space each consumes!

    "Greg M" <GregM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Here's the thing. The email is stored on the server and the MY Docs is as
    > well. I think you are missing the point. It seems to be the "Windows"
    > Folder and other Folders with in the profile taking up the space.
    >
    > Thanks Again
    >
    > "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
    >

    > > "Gregory" <Gregory@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > My roaming profiles on my 2000 Server network are generally in the
    area of
    > > > 50-200 mb. I was able to hone this a bit by removing desktop items,
    > > > configuring Temp Internet, etc. But the core profile is still huge.
    Is
    > > > there a way to maintain a 5-10mb size on these? I don't want to limit
    the
    > > > sizes in the policies. Please advise.
    > > >
    > > > Thank You,
    > > >
    > > > Greg
    > >
    > > You have to identify why the roaming profiles are so large. Is it
    because
    > > users store data files on their desktop? Force them to use server
    drives!
    > > Do they keep their EMail data store in their profile folder? Depending
    on
    > > the mail client, you may be able to move it to a server share.
    > >
    > > Mind you, 5..10 MBytes is quite moderate. On a 100 MBit/s
    > > network it will take 2..3 seconds to copy this amount of data.

Roaming Profiles Microsoft Windows