Roaming Profiles too large! HELP!!

GREGORY

My roaming profiles on my 2000 Server network are generally in the area of
50-200 mb. I was able to hone this a bit by removing desktop items,
configuring Temp Internet, etc. But the core profile is still huge. Is
there a way to maintain a 5-10mb size on these? I don't want to limit the
sizes in the policies. Please advise.

Thank You,

Greg

"Gregory" <Gregory@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My roaming profiles on my 2000 Server network are generally in the area of
> 50-200 mb. I was able to hone this a bit by removing desktop items,
> configuring Temp Internet, etc. But the core profile is still huge. Is
> there a way to maintain a 5-10mb size on these? I don't want to limit the
> sizes in the policies. Please advise.
>
> Thank You,
>
> Greg

You have to identify why the roaming profiles are so large. Is it because
users store data files on their desktop? Force them to use server drives!
Do they keep their EMail data store in their profile folder? Depending on
the mail client, you may be able to move it to a server share.

Mind you, 5..10 MBytes is quite moderate. On a 100 MBit/s
network it will take 2..3 seconds to copy this amount of data.

Here's the thing. The email is stored on the server and the MY Docs is as
well. I think you are missing the point. It seems to be the "Windows"
Folder and other Folders with in the profile taking up the space.

Thanks Again

"Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

> "Gregory" <Gregory@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My roaming profiles on my 2000 Server network are generally in the area of
> > 50-200 mb. I was able to hone this a bit by removing desktop items,
> > configuring Temp Internet, etc. But the core profile is still huge. Is
> > there a way to maintain a 5-10mb size on these? I don't want to limit the
> > sizes in the policies. Please advise.
> >
> > Thank You,
> >
> > Greg
>
> You have to identify why the roaming profiles are so large. Is it because
> users store data files on their desktop? Force them to use server drives!
> Do they keep their EMail data store in their profile folder? Depending on
> the mail client, you may be able to move it to a server share.
>
> Mind you, 5..10 MBytes is quite moderate. On a 100 MBit/s
> network it will take 2..3 seconds to copy this amount of data.

Since I did not make any point I don't think I'm missing any . . .

You write "It seems to be the Windows folder . . .". I suggest
you start nailing this issue by determining without any doubt
whatsovever what consumes those 10 MBytes. There is no
room for guessing in this game! Let's have a list of folders
and how much disk space each consumes!