whats the easiest way to share a webcam on home LAN

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
March 12, 2005 9:02:26 PM

Until I can afford a webcam that plugs in via ethernet to my switch, I
have to make do with my Intel pc camera pro, hooked up via USB (1.0) to
my main PC. I want to use it to monitor the playroom in our basment
where the main PC resides. I have 2 PC's running XP pro, for the time
being I can use remote desktop connection and just view the tiny window
by clicking on the webcam in windows explorer, but I am thinking there
has to be a better way than this.

Is there a simple, preferably free way I can stream the video so I can
look at it from the other networked pc? I'm not fussy whether its thru a
browser, media player or whatever else works.

Do I need to run Apache or some other http server to do this?

TIA
March 12, 2005 9:02:27 PM

GS wrote:
> Until I can afford a webcam that plugs in via ethernet to my switch, I
> have to make do with my Intel pc camera pro, hooked up via USB (1.0)
> to my main PC. I want to use it to monitor the playroom in our basment
> where the main PC resides. I have 2 PC's running XP pro, for the time
> being I can use remote desktop connection and just view the tiny
> window by clicking on the webcam in windows explorer, but I am
> thinking there has to be a better way than this.
>
> Is there a simple, preferably free way I can stream the video so I can
> look at it from the other networked pc? I'm not fussy whether its
> thru a browser, media player or whatever else works.
>
> Do I need to run Apache or some other http server to do this?
>
> TIA

Have you tried Netmeeting? I find it to work well along with the Create and
Share SW package that came with my Intel Webcam. I use an old P3 win98se to
a P4 XP Pro.

J.
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 10:06:57 PM

In news:byGYd.456$mq2.343@trnddc08,
bumtracks <visitor@corner.bar> the stupid moronic freak from an alien planet
where his/her mother was a universal whore, wrote:

for this myself i use remote desktop coupled with easyfreewebcam from uk
software.....

i have this software running the webcam full screen which is an ok image
(live too)on the remote pc....i helped develop this software too and i made
sure things like always on top was applicable as i wanted a software that
did what i needed.. a full screen image of my webcam looking into my front
garden......

this is then seen on my main pc.....which i have 3 monitors on ... one
showing the remote desktop image from the upstairs pc.....the other two used
for tv listings and the net.....

if yu check this page http://www.quavis.co.uk/ the background image is the
same one as i see on the monitor down here....

the other main image is taken from my main pc again but this time uses the
desktop capture facility of easyfreewebcam..... which again was an idea of
mine that the author of the software implemented for me... bless him.....

so you could use this method at little cost..... as the easyfreewebcam needs
to be registered for full screen i think....

but as a developer i got it for free....

but the whole thing works well enough for me.........im not sure there are
any other ways of doing this and getting a full screen image.....also i find
remote desktop adequate enough for the task too.....fast enough ,, maybe
could be a little faster......

did your camera come with any software to view it full screen?

if it did then yr problem is solved but as yu didnt say it did i guess it
hasnt any software for this....

anyway hope i helped!!!

regards slayer
March 12, 2005 10:54:58 PM

Jimmy wrote:
> GS wrote:
>
>>Until I can afford a webcam that plugs in via ethernet to my switch, I
>>have to make do with my Intel pc camera pro, hooked up via USB (1.0)
>>to my main PC. I want to use it to monitor the playroom in our basment
>>where the main PC resides. I have 2 PC's running XP pro, for the time
>>being I can use remote desktop connection and just view the tiny
>>window by clicking on the webcam in windows explorer, but I am
>>thinking there has to be a better way than this.
>>
>>Is there a simple, preferably free way I can stream the video so I can
>>look at it from the other networked pc? I'm not fussy whether its
>>thru a browser, media player or whatever else works.
>>
>>Do I need to run Apache or some other http server to do this?
>>
>>TIA
>

> Have you tried Netmeeting? I find it to work well along with the Create and
> Share SW package that came with my Intel Webcam. I use an old P3 win98se to
> a P4 XP Pro.
>
> J.

I was thinking of trying netmeeting, but can you to a pc to pc
connection thru LAN? Or do you have to connect via the net?, and I am on
dial up so anything thru the net is not feasible
March 12, 2005 10:54:59 PM

GS wrote:
> Jimmy wrote:
>> GS wrote:
>>
>>> Until I can afford a webcam that plugs in via ethernet to my
>>> switch, I have to make do with my Intel pc camera pro, hooked up
>>> via USB (1.0) to my main PC. I want to use it to monitor the
>>> playroom in our basment where the main PC resides. I have 2 PC's
>>> running XP pro, for the time being I can use remote desktop
>>> connection and just view the tiny window by clicking on the webcam
>>> in windows explorer, but I am thinking there has to be a better way
>>> than this. Is there a simple, preferably free way I can stream the video
>>> so I
>>> can look at it from the other networked pc? I'm not fussy whether
>>> its thru a browser, media player or whatever else works.
>>>
>>> Do I need to run Apache or some other http server to do this?
>>>
>>> TIA
>>

>> Have you tried Netmeeting? I find it to work well along with the
>> Create and Share SW package that came with my Intel Webcam. I use an
>> old P3 win98se to a P4 XP Pro.
>>
>> J.
>>

> I was thinking of trying netmeeting, but can you to a pc to pc
> connection through LAN? Or do you have to connect via the net?, and I am
> on dial up so anything through the net is not feasible

LAN. I am using mine now to view this snow storm from the front room while
I am in the back. Wireless-B connection is fine. I haven't tried wireless-G
yet so I am not sure if it would be any faster or clearer.

J.
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 1:16:42 AM

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 18:02:26 GMT, GS <whatever@spam.com> wrote:

>Until I can afford a webcam that plugs in via ethernet to my switch, I
>have to make do with my Intel pc camera pro, hooked up via USB (1.0) to
>my main PC. I want to use it to monitor the playroom in our basment
>where the main PC resides. I have 2 PC's running XP pro, for the time
>being I can use remote desktop connection and just view the tiny window
>by clicking on the webcam in windows explorer, but I am thinking there
>has to be a better way than this.
>
>Is there a simple, preferably free way I can stream the video so I can
>look at it from the other networked pc? I'm not fussy whether its thru a
>browser, media player or whatever else works.
>
>Do I need to run Apache or some other http server to do this?
>
>TIA

You can do what you want using the free webcam2000 webcam
application. Webcam2000 is setup to just send single frames, but
you can use a java applet to keep them reloading in a stream. The
below page is a demo link. If you stop the video on the main page
then click the multicam popout link, you can see an intel 430 pro
USB cam in use. It is cam #4. You can copy the source of the demo
page and use the ip address of your computer running the
webcam2000 software and your cam. Running on your lan, you won't
have to deal with the geocities stuff, just put the html page on
your other computer's desktop. The bottom link has some more info
on using this setup for time laps pix and such. All free.

http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/wc2000.htm
http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/webcamsetup.htm
!