OCZ's Vector PCIe SSD to Include TRIM and SMART support

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssd_pro

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
I hope this drive is amazing and priced reasonably. Right now there aren't many PCIe cards even available and it is such a great interface to base storage on. The Intel 910's are crazy expensive and the Revo 3's have wildly varying performance depending on data type. I'll watch for the reviews - if they are as good as Vector SATA3, I'll take a couple.

ssd_pro

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
[citation][nom]unknown9122[/nom]Why arent they using PCI3? I guess not many people have mobos that support it.[/citation]

Also a lot of boards have a x4 slot that isn't 3.0 anyway. That and at 1GB/s 3.0 vs 2.0 wouldn't matter.

CrArC

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
[citation][nom]unknown9122[/nom]Why arent they using PCI3? I guess not many people have mobos that support it.[/citation] It's also unnecessary. Even 4x PCIE gen1 can support the bandwidth used. They won't avoid PCIE3 if it's cheaper to implement of course, but I guess that isn't the case.

bunga28

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
"As a result of it's two Indilinx Barefoot 3 controllers," The correct spelling is "its" not "it's." Sorry to correct you, but I think this way makes you smarter.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]ssd_pro[/nom]I hope this drive is amazing and priced reasonably. Right now there aren't many PCIe cards even available and it is such a great interface to base storage on. The Intel 910's are crazy expensive and the Revo 3's have wildly varying performance depending on data type. I'll watch for the reviews - if they are as good as Vector SATA3, I'll take a couple.[/citation]

Priced reasonably? LOL that kind of IOPS is for servers, these are probably going to start at $1000 for the 240 gig and the 960 gig will hit $3000

jurassic1024

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2008
[citation][nom]unknown9122[/nom]Why arent they using PCI3? I guess not many people have mobos that support it.[/citation]

The controller is new, so it makes sense to start "small" with PCI2.

[citation][nom]tsnor[/nom]"OCZ's Vector PCIe SSD to Include TRIM and SMART support" Wow. Now find an SSD that doesn't. Then maybe change the title to "OCZ claims Vector PCIe SSD hits 1GB/sec"[/citation]

I bet that I can find many PCIe SSDs with internal RAID that don't support TRIM and/or SMART.

[citation][nom]joebob2000[/nom]Priced reasonably? LOL that kind of IOPS is for servers, these are probably going to start at $1000 for the 240 gig and the 960 gig will hit $3000[/citation]

OCZ already has had many PCIe SSDs with comparable performance specs for very reasonable prices, sometimes around $1 per GB despite great performance. I think that you're greatly overestimating the pricing.

[citation][nom]howmuch[/nom]How much bandwidth in GB/s terms does PCIE 2.0 x4 deliver?[/citation]

Max theoretical bandwidth for PCIe 2.0 is 2GB/s (500MB/s per PCIe 2.0 lane). Practical performance can get fairly close to theoretical for PCIe 2.0, so around 1.5GB's to 1.8GB/s max is not unreasonable, granted the SSDs in this article aren't fast enough to achieve such speeds anyway.

G

My 2 Agility in raid 0 achieve 930MB transfer rates, for a fraction of the costs this will endure, and its trim enabled through Intels Rapid Storage techs, and it takes up less space, but yes 5 year warranty would be nice.

Rhinofart

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
[citation][nom]bunga28[/nom]"As a result of it's two Indilinx Barefoot 3 controllers," The correct spelling is "its" not "it's." Sorry to correct you, but I think this way makes you smarter.[/citation]
LOL I was about to correct you because thinking naturally being a possessive phrase to use the apostrophe, but alas! You are correct!

Status
Not open for further replies.