SUS and the XP SP2 update deadline

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Hi,

How will SUS handle the April 12th deadline for XP SP2? If I don't approve
the update, will my machines not update until I approve it? I have them set
in group policy to only get updates from the SUS server.

Being an accoounting firm, April 12 is not a good deadline date for us.

Thanks,
John

Microsoft has confirmed that if you do not approve it on SUS and all
machines are managed by SUS, then they will not receive it. However this
will not stop a user from visiting windowsupdate.microsoft.com and having
the site offer it to them or stop them from applying in manually if they
have sufficient rights.

"John" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> How will SUS handle the April 12th deadline for XP SP2? If I don't
> approve the update, will my machines not update until I approve it? I
> have them set in group policy to only get updates from the SUS server.
>
> Being an accoounting firm, April 12 is not a good deadline date for us.
>
> Thanks,
> John

If you upgrade to WSUS (the LATEST and 3rd name for this product!), you can
decline it and it will never be rolled out, I believe.

--

Mike Matheny

"John" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> How will SUS handle the April 12th deadline for XP SP2? If I don't
> approve the update, will my machines not update until I approve it? I
> have them set in group policy to only get updates from the SUS server.
>
> Being an accoounting firm, April 12 is not a good deadline date for us.
>
> Thanks,
> John

TRENDING THREADS