More about convert windows service

    From: "kmkrause2" <kmkrause2@discussions.microsoft.com>

    | Does Microsoft have any utilities that will convert and executable into a
    | Windows Service? I know there are 3rd party utilities, but I didn't want to
    | buy one if there was already one available in Win2k.
    |
    | TIA,
    | Ken

    From the NT Resource Kit...

    INSTSRV.EXE
    SRVANY.EXE

    The following is an example of installing the SETI Command Line utility as a service.
    The SETI Command Line utility was renamed to; myseti.exe for the following...

    @echo off
    :
    : S@H Client Daemon
    : v1.3
    :
    copy ".\SaH\*.*" %windir% >nul
    %windir%\instsrv MySeti %windir%\srvany.exe
    regedit /s .\sah_serv.reg
    c:
    cd %windir%
    cmd

    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MySeti]

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MySeti\Parameters]
    "Application"="c:\\winnt\\MySeti.exe"
    "AppDirectory"="c:\\winnt"

    To remove a service use the NT Resource Kit utility; delsrv.exe

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    Does this work under Win2k?

    From: "kmkrause2" <kmkrause2@discussions.microsoft.com>

    | Does this work under Win2k?

    Duh !
    That's why I posted the information in a Win2K News Group.

    I used the term NT Resource Kit because the three utilities;
    INSTSRV.EXE
    SRVANY.EXE
    DELSRV.EXE

    Will work for; NT4, Win2K, WinXP and Win2003 Server which are all "NT" Operating Systems.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    You know "NT" can cause some to scurry so his question was understandable. I believe there is a good KB artcle on the David.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;137890

    --
    George Hester
    _________________________________

    From: "George Hester" <hesterloli@hotmail.com>

    | You know "NT" can cause some to scurry so his question was understandable. I believe
    | there is a good KB artcle on the David.
    |
    | http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;137890
    |
    | --
    | George Hester

    Thanx George !

    Note that the MS article uses the same language... "...Windows NT and Srvany.exe allows any
    Windows NT application..."

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm