Ken

From: "kmkrause2" <kmkrause2@discussions.microsoft.com>

| Does Microsoft have any utilities that will convert and executable into a
| Windows Service? I know there are 3rd party utilities, but I didn't want to
| buy one if there was already one available in Win2k.
|
| TIA,
| Ken

From the NT Resource Kit...

INSTSRV.EXE
SRVANY.EXE

The following is an example of installing the SETI Command Line utility as a service.
The SETI Command Line utility was renamed to; myseti.exe for the following...

@echo off
:
: S@H Client Daemon
: v1.3
:
copy ".\SaH\*.*" %windir% >nul
%windir%\instsrv MySeti %windir%\srvany.exe
regedit /s .\sah_serv.reg
c:
cd %windir%
cmd

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MySeti]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MySeti\Parameters]
"Application"="c:\\winnt\\MySeti.exe"
"AppDirectory"="c:\\winnt"

To remove a service use the NT Resource Kit utility; delsrv.exe

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Does this work under Win2k?

From: "kmkrause2" <kmkrause2@discussions.microsoft.com>

| Does this work under Win2k?

Duh !
That's why I posted the information in a Win2K News Group.

I used the term NT Resource Kit because the three utilities;
INSTSRV.EXE
SRVANY.EXE
DELSRV.EXE

Will work for; NT4, Win2K, WinXP and Win2003 Server which are all "NT" Operating Systems.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

You know "NT" can cause some to scurry so his question was understandable. I believe there is a good KB artcle on the David.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;137890

--
George Hester
_________________________________

From: "George Hester" <hesterloli@hotmail.com>

| You know "NT" can cause some to scurry so his question was understandable. I believe
| there is a good KB artcle on the David.
|
| http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;137890
|
| --
| George Hester

Thanx George !

Note that the MS article uses the same language... "...Windows NT and Srvany.exe allows any
Windows NT application..."

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm