Sign in with
Your question

Please get rid of the ads!

Last response: in Site Feedback
July 13, 2011 12:37:46 PM

I used to love tomshardware.com, but now I almost try not to visit because every time I visit in between reading articles etc, I get the overlay with some random java advertisement.

People will stop coming here if this continues. They will choose to goto a site that doesn't have any annoying ads for stuff they don't want.

Off the top of my head I can think of 3 other sites, that seem to have news just as fast or faster as Toms Hardware, and none of them have any forceful ads that takeover your screen for moments at a time.

Please! I don't know who thought that was a good idea, but I guarantee your numbers will drop.

More about : rid ads

July 13, 2011 2:33:11 PM

Ads aren't really something we can "get rid of" as they pay for bandwidth costs to sustain the site. However, if you are encountering a particularly egregious violator of your browsing experience, we want to hear about it so we can have it removed. Sometimes those kinds sneak into the ad partner network. Is there one in particular you giving you a headache?
August 30, 2011 3:30:12 AM

Things are running a lot smoother these days than they were a couple of months ago!
Related resources
August 30, 2011 2:16:36 PM

Fantastic to hear!
August 30, 2011 2:34:57 PM

Thanks Joe! The hard work that you guys did has paid off well. Even the lags waiting for the ads monitoring sites to load have disappeared! Keep it up!
December 3, 2011 2:08:03 PM

I am normally the quiet type who doesn't complain much so when I have something to say please understand I truely mean it.

The annoying overlay ads that dim my screen for every page read in a single review pissed me off to extent of never returning to Tom's Hardware.

Some of you wil try to explain it away as "they need ads to pay for content." No doubt and I understand but is as annoying as a stop sign in the street for every 10 feet traveled.

Best of luck! And good bye.

December 3, 2011 6:57:22 PM

Use Firefox with the addon adblock plus.
December 11, 2011 10:16:13 AM

Unfortunately I should not have to use a specific browser with add-ons just to stop iFrame ads that pop up after every click. I understand that ads help support for bandwidth and so on, but this is getting ridiculous. In the past month or so, EVERY click pops an add via Chrome. I love tomshardware and the honest nature of the reviews and up-to-date information but come on....There is a tipping point to this problem and this site will start to lose many readers because of the annoying iFrame ads. Hell, open another window instead of dimming my damn screen and have the ads in the new window change accordingly. Completely dimming the screen and FORCING you to click the ad close is a joke. Hell, make a system for people that post in forums or how many reviews read lowers the amount of ads or stops the iFrame ads all together.
December 11, 2011 1:03:21 PM

I was wondering what effect and the extent of possible damage would occur to the LCD screen with repeated dimming as the result of some of the ads.

After all, dimming and subsequent brightening is one way of stressing the LCD (it is not in a 'steady state' condition during this dimming).

The damage may be slow and additive, and subsequent failure of the LCD display may not be attributed to this repeated dimming and brightening.

Your thoughts on this please!
December 11, 2011 2:49:49 PM

d0zer said:
Unfortunately I should not have to use a specific browser with add-ons just to stop iFrame ads that pop up after every click. I understand that ads help support for bandwidth and so on, but this is getting ridiculous. In the past month or so, EVERY click pops an add via Chrome. I love tomshardware and the honest nature of the reviews and up-to-date information but come on....There is a tipping point to this problem and this site will start to lose many readers because of the annoying iFrame ads. Hell, open another window instead of dimming my damn screen and have the ads in the new window change accordingly. Completely dimming the screen and FORCING you to click the ad close is a joke. Hell, make a system for people that post in forums or how many reviews read lowers the amount of ads or stops the iFrame ads all together.

Nope, not buying it. Your complaint should be directed at Burger King where you can 'Have it your way'. There is a perfect solution to the problem but you won't budge. Firefox with Adblock Plus completely stops all the adds and makes the browsing experience quite sanitary. If Firefox was plagued with problems it might be another story but FF works very well and is produced with putting power and control in the hands of the user. The browsers that keep you 'in the box' with no way out should be abandoned on principle alone since they dictate how you will use your computer despite your disappointments.

Tom's Hardware is a technical site that allows, teaches and encourages regulars how to prevent the ads from showing/disrupting their experience here. I disable Adblock once in awhile just to click ads as a way to help support the site. There are ways to make the ads persistent but Tom's hasn't resorted to that so to go ad-clicking is the least I can do every few days. When the ads are viewed/clicked intentionally, they aren't so bad to look at. You should try it sometime.
December 13, 2011 6:42:33 AM

I really dislike how SLOW your site is. Clicking any link takes AGES on my internet, and it's not my internet because I get 20-50Mbps download depending on the other users in my house. It literally takes 2 seconds for the screen to load (ie. it loads to the new link, then I wait 2 seconds for it to flash and sidebar pops up another 2 seconds later). I don't want to hide the sidebar because I like having the information of recent posts/messages. Can you at least put the recent posts/messages as a section on the header so that it always displays so I can hide the ad sidebar? Or change the forum to another layout with less ads. I'm a very active member of 3+ other forums and I experience none of these problems on any of them. I'm sure if you create a premium membership or ask for donations, this could all be avoided.

I'm just voicing my opinion because I get very frustrated at the Dial-Up-like feel of the website, but I love the content! So please help me enjoy it more!
December 13, 2011 1:48:59 PM

tigsounds said:
Nope, not buying it. Your complaint should be directed at Burger King where you can 'Have it your way'. There is a perfect solution to the problem but you won't budge. Firefox with Adblock Plus completely stops all the adds and makes the browsing experience quite sanitary. If Firefox was plagued with problems it might be another story but FF works very well and is produced with putting power and control in the hands of the user. The browsers that keep you 'in the box' with no way out should be abandoned on principle alone since they dictate how you will use your computer despite your disappointments.

Tom's Hardware is a technical site that allows, teaches and encourages regulars how to prevent the ads from showing/disrupting their experience here. I disable Adblock once in awhile just to click ads as a way to help support the site. There are ways to make the ads persistent but Tom's hasn't resorted to that so to go ad-clicking is the least I can do every few days. When the ads are viewed/clicked intentionally, they aren't so bad to look at. You should try it sometime.

Just for good measure, I did not say that ads were not needed. I understand that. If you got past the first couple sentences you will see that I love toms reviews and honest nature of the reviews. There is nothing wrong with what I am writing about and I am not alone. As I already stated, have the ads pop in another window or have a points system that if you are a registered user and post or read so many reviews, the ads will either be minimal or be removed all together. So relax on the fanboy aggressive attitude. I myself I do have FF installed and use FF, Chrome and IE depending on the site and requirements. As you know, some companies only work correctly via IE. Some support FF ok but not Chrome. I get it. I use them all. I know what adblock plus is and have used it since it first arrived forever and a day ago. I never said that I won't use it, you just assumed that. I actually found a way to stop the iFrame ads while browsing via Chrome with no 3rd party installer or change on your browser. I just shouldn't have to do it. So, going forward, accusing people of what they are or not doing and telling them how to browse is none of your concern. It is MY browsing experience that I am concerned with and if you think that I am the ONLY person disgusted with the iFrame ads, Google away and you will be surprised.

I do have to say something about this comment:

Tom's Hardware is a technical site that allows, teaches and encourages regulars how to prevent the ads from showing/disrupting their experience here.

Really? So, if I understand your statement correctly, I need to come here and use the site to stop the same ads it is producing? Now that's funny. To give you an idea of the ads and how they have progressed in the past few months, go ahead and fire up Chrome or IE and browse for a week. I myself have clicked some of the ads on the page itself but NEVER the ads that take control of my screen. For one, it pisses me off. But honestly, I am not going to support a product or try to benefit a site when my screen was basically hijacked from an ad. Also, read up on iFrame and some of the software that can be injected via a popup of this type. Toms actually had an ad that installed malware a while back unbeknownst to the admin! There are other ways to gain revenue, but screen hijacking from an iFrame ad is obtrusive and dangerous.

So, relax. Smile. Merry Christmas!

Just for kicks, I even got an ad when I tried to reply to this message!
December 13, 2011 3:30:21 PM

It all boils down to opinion and preferences concerning browsers and their various characteristics. If a Ford goes over bumps in the road smoother than a Chevy then I guess I'd drive a Ford if I knew I'd be driving over a bumpy road and bumps bothered me. I use the browser that gets around the ads and recommend it to anyone having a problem with them.
Quote:
I myself I do have FF installed and use FF, Chrome and IE depending on the site and requirements. As you know, some companies only work correctly via IE. Some support FF ok but not Chrome. I get it. I use them all. I know what adblock plus is and have used it since it first arrived forever and a day ago.
Well, now we know. :) 

I'm smiling. You're right... Merry Christmas.

!