Replacing a Radeon 9800 Pro on ASRock 775Dual-VSTA

I decided to upgrade my system to something that was faster but also didn't sound like a vacuum cleaner. I dropped my Athlon 3200 in a cheap box with cheap power supply for an Antec SOLO, Corsair 520, ASRock Dual-VSTA and a Ninja heat sink on a Core 2 Duo. I couldn't be happier. My only problem now is my Radeon 9800 Pro with stock cooler is just too loud. To be honest, it is fast enough for the light gaming I do and one of the reasons I got the Dual-VSTA was to keep it. But it is just too loud. I thought about getting a different cooler for it......maybe the Ati Silencer or something else that people recommend. Something in the 30 dollar range. Then I got to thinking. Although this card works for me, maybe I should put that money towards a newer, quieter PCIe card. I bet I could get 50 bucks for my old card on ebay which means I'd have like 80 bucks to spend on a new one. I snooped around and found these 2 options....

The GIGABYTE GeForce 7600GT for $134 after Rebate
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16814125025

or

The XFX GeForce 7600GS for $69
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=203000306

Now I know the GT is more then I want to spend, but everything I read tells me this is a great card for the money. Maybe it would be worth it. Then again, with DX10 boards coming online now, maybe I should get the 7600GS and wait for everyone to dump their current high end cards.

or I could just get a cooler for the Radeon.

One more thing to really mess me up is I was reminded that hybrid boards can be picky about what PCIe boards they will work with. I looked at the ASRock website for supported cards and it doesn't mention either of these two....but I don't know if that means they just never tested them or what.

Thoughts and opinions please.......
1 answer Last reply
More about replacing radeon 9800 asrock 775dual vsta
  1. One thing you absolutely need to consider is air flow. Fanless video cards (even the 7600 GT) get hot. Just something to think about.

Anyways, as far as recommendations go... I wouldn't invest too much money. Budget DX10 cards will be out in a few months and you don't want to be stuck with something you paid too much for. But that's just me...

But what the heck, get the 7600GT.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards ASrock Radeon Graphics