Two systems in the same partition

Dear fellows,

I have installed Windows XP Home Edition in the same partition where
Windows 2000 Professional was installed, in a different path/directory
(WINDOWS 2>). I did it because my computer was given to me as a gift with the
Windows 2000 already installed, and I did not have the administrator's
password, nor the person who gave it to me remembered it (it was in my
uncle's company, before he changed all the PCs for new ones). Thus, I was not
allowed to install or upgrade important programmes such as Norton Antivirus,
Internet Explorer and MSN. The problem now is that the Windows 2000
Professional is not working anymore (everytime I try to load it, my computer
is restarted).

I would like to know any or all of these three things: 1 - if anyone knows a
way of transferring a couple of programmes plus loads of important word text
files from the Windows 2000 to my windows XP, when they share the same
partition and computer (I already have tried to do it from the Windows
Explorer of my Windows XP, but I cannot find my files and programmes such as
WORD). 2 - If anyone knows a way of deleting the Windows 2000 totally after
accessing it and copying my files. 3 - If none of these procedures are
possible, if anyone knows a way of making my Windows 2000 Professional work
again, when it is not working possibly due to it be sharing the same
partition with the Windows XP Home Edition.

Kind regards,

Rodrigo Campos

Placing two Win OSes in one partition is not recommneded and can indeed
cause problems. This does not mean that your Win 2K is failing because
of this,
especially if you already had problems with it before you installed Win
XP.

If you only have one partition, then your data files must be inside one
or more
folders. I would create a folder, maybe call it Work or Data or
something else
of your choice and copy all your data files (and folders) into it.

Unfortunately, you can not do the same with the applications. You must
reinstall
them while in XP. I have no idea what applications you have, hopefully
you
have the install disks. If not, maybe your uncle can help you get them.
The
problem with donating unwanted used computers is that these usually also
contain an operating system and applications, so (assumng commercial
stuff)
when the PC is donated, technically, the software is too, also assuming
that
there is no other agreement that overrides this. This means that you
should have
also received any install disks for Windows 2K and the applications that
were included. In most cases, all you get is the computer. You turn it
on and
you have the OS and applications ready for your use<g>.

In conclusion, I hope that you get your computer working fine. The best
thing to
do, if possible, is to back up all your work (data files), delete
everything on the
hard drive and reinstall Win XP. This garantees a clean install of
everything.

Good luck!
Saga

"CAMPOS" <CAMPOS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Dear fellows,
>
> I have installed Windows XP Home Edition in the same partition where
> Windows 2000 Professional was installed, in a different path/directory
> (WINDOWS 2>). I did it because my computer was given to me as a gift
> with the
> Windows 2000 already installed, and I did not have the administrator's
> password, nor the person who gave it to me remembered it (it was in my
> uncle's company, before he changed all the PCs for new ones). Thus, I
> was not
> allowed to install or upgrade important programmes such as Norton
> Antivirus,
> Internet Explorer and MSN. The problem now is that the Windows 2000
> Professional is not working anymore (everytime I try to load it, my
> computer
> is restarted).
>
> I would like to know any or all of these three things: 1 - if anyone
> knows a
> way of transferring a couple of programmes plus loads of important
> word text
> files from the Windows 2000 to my windows XP, when they share the same
> partition and computer (I already have tried to do it from the Windows
> Explorer of my Windows XP, but I cannot find my files and programmes
> such as
> WORD). 2 - If anyone knows a way of deleting the Windows 2000 totally
> after
> accessing it and copying my files. 3 - If none of these procedures are
> possible, if anyone knows a way of making my Windows 2000 Professional
> work
> again, when it is not working possibly due to it be sharing the same
> partition with the Windows XP Home Edition.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Rodrigo Campos

1.) Not possible.

2.) To do a clean install boot the Windows XP install CD-Rom. When you get
to the point, delete the existing NTFS and or other partitions found. After
you delete the partition(s) abort the install, then again restart the pc
booting the CD-Rom to avoid unexpected drive letter assignments with your
new install.

Be sure to apply SP2 or at least these two below to your new install before
connecting to any network.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&displaylang=en

3.) Post the details of what happens when you try to start the OS. Be
specific.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"CAMPOS" wrote:

| Dear fellows,
|
| I have installed Windows XP Home Edition in the same partition where
| Windows 2000 Professional was installed, in a different path/directory
| (WINDOWS 2>). I did it because my computer was given to me as a gift with
the
| Windows 2000 already installed, and I did not have the administrator's
| password, nor the person who gave it to me remembered it (it was in my
| uncle's company, before he changed all the PCs for new ones). Thus, I was
not
| allowed to install or upgrade important programmes such as Norton
Antivirus,
| Internet Explorer and MSN. The problem now is that the Windows 2000
| Professional is not working anymore (everytime I try to load it, my
computer
| is restarted).
|
| I would like to know any or all of these three things: 1 - if anyone knows
| way of transferring a couple of programmes plus loads of important word
text
| files from the Windows 2000 to my windows XP, when they share the same
| partition and computer (I already have tried to do it from the Windows
| Explorer of my Windows XP, but I cannot find my files and programmes such
as
| WORD). 2 - If anyone knows a way of deleting the Windows 2000 totally
after
| accessing it and copying my files. 3 - If none of these procedures are
| possible, if anyone knows a way of making my Windows 2000 Professional
work
| again, when it is not working possibly due to it be sharing the same
| partition with the Windows XP Home Edition.
|
| Kind regards,
|
| Rodrigo Campos

Dear fellows,

Firstly, I would like to thank very much Saga and Dave Patrick for their
interest in my problem and quick replies - I have really been going through
hell with these two OSs. To be honest, as a first-time user and no expert in
computers, I was a bit sceptical about getting any help online in the
Microsoft users discussion groups. So, thanks!

As I could get from the two replies, the best thing to do in my case is to
back up my files, delete everything and start again from zero. I couldn't
agree more. So, the point now is to find my files, since I have already
looked for them everywhere in my HD C:, in WINDOWS> (where Windows 2K is) and
WINDOWS 2> (Where windows XP is) with no luck. Thus, it seems to me that the
best way to find them (I am being positive here, since I won't know what to
do if they were completely lost!) is to regain access to my WIndows 2000,
where they were originally saved.

Now, it comes to Dave's request for me to post the specific details of what
happens when I try to start the Windows 2000. So, there we go:

1 - The boot is normal until it gets to this (I guess DOS) screen: "Please
select the operating system to start". As expected, I have two options:
Windows XP Home edition & Windows 2000 Professional. If I either select it
myself or do not do anything, since it appears highlighted, the Windows XP is
started normally, with no problem at all.

2 - When I select the Windows 2000, though, it initially starts ok. However,
immediately after the screen in which appears "Please wait, Windows is
starting up...", the screen where I am asked to enter my username and
password only flashes through and the computer is automatically restarted.

3 - When I then start the Windows XP, everything goes fine, but an error
report appears on my desktop. The error signature is: BCCode: 50 BCP1:
80480000 BCP2: 00000000 BCP3: 8052C399 BCP4: 00000000 OSVer: 5_1_2600
SP: 1_0 PRODUCT: 768_1. The Error Report Contents Screen says: "The
following files will be included in this error report: C:\WINDOWS
2\Minidump\Mini040105-01.dmp &
C:\DOCUME~1\RODRIG~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER4.tmp.dir00\sysdata.xml. Yet, everytime
I send the report to Microsoft I get an answer: "The error was likely caused
by: Symantec (symevent.sys). An update is available for this component. Run
the live update utility from within your Symantec application."

However, I cannot find any Symantec application in my Windows XP and, when I
look for it in the Windows Explorer, I find a Symantec folder in HD C: and a
Norton Antivirus in WINDOWS> (where the windows 2000 is), although I cannot
do anything with any of the two (when I double click on the Norton Icon, it
says: "This application has expired").

3 - I would like to add - since I am not able to evaluate what is really
relavant for my problem and what is not - that I have a PC Bug Doctor
installed in my Windows 2000, which I have copied through the Windows XP's
Windows Explorer to my Windows XP's desktop. It is running ok (and normally
find some errors which it quickly fixes, but have returned a couple of
times), since I still have a valid unlock key.

4 - Finally, Dave, could you please clarify to me what SP2 and NTFS are?

Thank you for your patience and help,

CAMPOS

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> 1.) Not possible.
>
> 2.) To do a clean install boot the Windows XP install CD-Rom. When you get
> to the point, delete the existing NTFS and or other partitions found. After
> you delete the partition(s) abort the install, then again restart the pc
> booting the CD-Rom to avoid unexpected drive letter assignments with your
> new install.
>
> Be sure to apply SP2 or at least these two below to your new install before
> connecting to any network.
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&displaylang=en
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-043.mspx
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-049.mspx
>
> 3.) Post the details of what happens when you try to start the OS. Be
> specific.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "CAMPOS" wrote:
> |
> | Dear fellows,
> |
> | I have installed Windows XP Home Edition in the same partition where
> | Windows 2000 Professional was installed, in a different path/directory
> | (WINDOWS 2>). I did it because my computer was given to me as a gift with
> the
> | Windows 2000 already installed, and I did not have the administrator's
> | password, nor the person who gave it to me remembered it (it was in my
> | uncle's company, before he changed all the PCs for new ones). Thus, I was
> not
> | allowed to install or upgrade important programmes such as Norton
> Antivirus,
> | Internet Explorer and MSN. The problem now is that the Windows 2000
> | Professional is not working anymore (everytime I try to load it, my
> computer
> | is restarted).
> |
> | I would like to know any or all of these three things: 1 - if anyone knows
> | way of transferring a couple of programmes plus loads of important word
> text
> | files from the Windows 2000 to my windows XP, when they share the same
> | partition and computer (I already have tried to do it from the Windows
> | Explorer of my Windows XP, but I cannot find my files and programmes such
> as
> | WORD). 2 - If anyone knows a way of deleting the Windows 2000 totally
> after
> | accessing it and copying my files. 3 - If none of these procedures are
> | possible, if anyone knows a way of making my Windows 2000 Professional
> work
> | again, when it is not working possibly due to it be sharing the same
> | partition with the Windows XP Home Edition.
> |
> | Kind regards,
> |
> | Rodrigo Campos

1.) By default Windows 2000 installs in the \winnt directory.
If you can't find your data files from the XP boot then you likely won't
find them from the 2000 boot either. There is no mechanism to hide the files
in one OS from the other unless the data was encrypted.
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/distrib/dsck_efs_XHKD.asp

The files may simply be hidden so Explorer|Tools|Folder Options|View, then
radio button for "Show hidden files and folders", then uncheck the box for
"Hide protected operating system files".

2.) The Windows 2000 boot is setup to restart on a blue screen stop error.
I don't know how much good this will do, but from a parallel install, run
regedt32.exe, then from the Local Machine Hive, choose Registry|Load Hive,
then navigate to the
%windir%\system32\config
directory on the other install, and find the system file, then Open, in the
Key Name box give it some temp name, then under tempname, navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Select
and look in the Reg_Dword value of "Current", this is the current
controlset, then navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet00x\Control\CrashControl
Where x = the value of "Current" (found above) and set the values as follows

"AutoReboot"=dword:00000000
"CrashDumpEnabled"=dword:00000001
"LogEvent"=dword:00000001
"Overwrite"=dword:00000001
Then navigate back up to "tempname" and choose Unload Hive, and boot your
original install, Autoreboot is now turned off so you should be able to read
the stop error.

Bug Check Codes
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/ddtools/hh/ddtools/BCIntro_f55acfed-3296-4e84-8885-c3162fd0ddbf.xml.asp

Since you have Windows XP you can do the hive editing from the Windows XP
boot.

3a.) I don't know what you've got going there but if the error is generated
only after booting Windows 2000 then I wouldn't read too much into the
details of this error.

3b.) SP2 = service pack two
NTFS is the native file system of Windows NT/2000/XP/2003

--

"CAMPOS" wrote:

> [...]
| look for it in the Windows Explorer, I find a Symantec folder in HD C: and
| Norton Antivirus in WINDOWS> (where the windows 2000 is), although I
cannot
| do anything with any of the two (when I double click on the Norton Icon,
it
| says: "This application has expired").
|
| 3 - I would like to add - since I am not able to evaluate what is really
| relavant for my problem and what is not - that I have a PC Bug Doctor
| installed in my Windows 2000, which I have copied through the Windows XP's
| Windows Explorer to my Windows XP's desktop. It is running ok (and
normally
| find some errors which it quickly fixes, but have returned a couple of
| times), since I still have a valid unlock key.
|
| 4 - Finally, Dave, could you please clarify to me what SP2 and NTFS are?

TRENDING THREADS