Overclocked ATI X300 SE 128MB Hypermemory

bkiserx7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
Just downloaded ATItool on a buddy's Dell that has the above video card and did some serious overclocking on this fanless turd. Does not seem to have a core temp sensor, but by the ol' touch method seemed 60+ C. Current clocks are: Core 425 Mhz & Memory 389 Mhz (778 effective) 8O . Thats up from stock clocks of: Core 325 Mhz & Memory 297 Mhz (594 effective). I think these results are pretty good for a cheap card with only a heatsink. In WOW he is seeing about a 10 fps boost. Tell me what ya'll think. :?:

almerac

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
Just downloaded ATItool on a buddy's Dell that has the above video card and did some serious overclocking on this fanless turd. Does not seem to have a core temp sensor, but by the ol' touch method seemed 60+ C. Current clocks are: Core 425 Mhz & Memory 389 Mhz (778 effective) 8O . Thats up from stock clocks of: Core 325 Mhz & Memory 297 Mhz (594 effective). I think these results are pretty good for a cheap card with only a heatsink. In WOW he is seeing about a 10 fps boost. Tell me what ya'll think. :?:

well im actually inclined to burn you a little since if you did actually overclock its "hyper memory" you would have overclocked the main system ram (since hyper memory is just normal ram that is "stolen" by the video card for extra ram for itself), secondly i surely hope you tell your friend that this will void his warranty with dell, and that this will devrease the life of his card. also the fact that you put alot of confidence in the "touch method" scares me. you would be better off just telling your friend to buy a new video card, considering the one he has sucks, and he will probably burn it out in a couple of months with stock cooling. WOW is also a poor reason to burn out your video card, considering for less then $100 he could get a card that would toast his current one, at both stock speeds, and overclock to a level that would put that overclock to shame.

i wouldn't be so harsh if you overclocked your card, in fact i would be congratulating you (because that is a really nice overclock), however since you overclocked your buddies card, i am making you feel bad because you are probably going to end up breaking his card, and that is bad enthusiast etiquette.

so..... shame shame (slaps your hand) :twisted:

you really should set your friends speeds back to stock unless hes ok with the idea of his video card burning out in less then a year.

no matter how far you push it it still had the same rendering pipelines, limited architecture and same crap performance ;)

bkiserx7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
Well almerac, we are wanting to get a new card and just wanted to thrash the hell out of the x300 in the meantime. Dont have to worry bout the Dell warranty since it just expired bout a month ago. Its a BTX case so the card is upside down and from 3rd grade science we all know that heat rises so I actually trust the "touch method" more in this situation. We want the 7600gs from buy.com for 90 with 40 in rebates, but it looks like the card wont be in stock before the rebates run up. Anyone have a sub $85 single slot card in mind that would rip through WOW? I had a spare x1300 layin around, but its the passive heat pipe model so would not work in the BTX case without major case mods :x .

almerac

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
7600GS would take anything wow can throw at it (if hes gaming higher then 1600/1200 tho you might want to consider a 7600GT or better tho).

i still disagree with your "touch method" :?: , it doesnt matter which way the card is oriented, i was pointing out the rudimentary testing you use, and its rather scary connotations (if it was used on any video card of value).

bkiserx7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
I am not an idiot, if it was a card of any value I would not be touching it to see how hot it is. It would have a temperature sensor in it too. And yes, the orientation does matter. Example: Hot Air Baloon. I wanna see you fly one of those upside down. HEAT RISES and in a BTX format heat rises away from the card instead of rising into the card.

bkiserx7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
outlw6669,

Of the three that you mentioned above, which would you go with on this system: P 630, 1 GB 533, 305 Watt PSU, and BTX?

Thanx,

BK

bigsby

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
So I'm guessing your friend either has a Dimension 5150 or 9150. I had the 5150 with a P4 630, 1 gig ddr2 533 ram and an X600 as opposed to the X300, before I sold it to my friend and made the one I have now.

You'll need to get a better power supply if you want to get another graphics card, as the stock Dell PSU is a crap on the cob. 7600gs is a good card for the money. He should get it, it is made of win.

And good job on your overclock, that's more than I got with my x600 SE.

bkiserx7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
Yeap, its a 5150 alright. Man I wish he would have let me build him a system instead of buying that thing, but you think the x700 would run with this PSU? I just need to improve his WOW experience and hes not really into the eye candy.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
And in other pointless news, I put a V8 in a Metro, put a bigger fuse on the plug for my toaster and modified the VCR remoter to take more batteries.

All of this I accomplished before even thinking about overclocking a PoS X300 HyperMemory.

My actual point was (not sure if anyone's pointed this out yet) that the 'old touch method' that you outlined is quite risky. All it's telling you is that the heatsink is hot, which all depends on the thermal transfer paste on the chip itself...which isn't exactly an exact science. Be careful!

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I don't care if you got 1ghz, this card sucks ass.

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I don't care if you got 1ghz, this card sucks ass.

Not everyone has money for an x1950xt like you do :x
I agree fully, but there are better options than the X300.
...Like my integrated GPU, for example.

If you really want to do some good overclocking on a budget, the 7600gs will suit your needs. It's AGP and PCI-E compatible, too. Keep in mind with voltage mods 700+ mhz is possible.

And in other pointless news, I put a V8 in a Metro, put a bigger fuse on the plug for my toaster and modified the VCR remoter to take more batteries.

Lmao

OH what temps are you getting with the toaster mod? I did the VCR controler mod for a Philips VCR. Great to ahve 10 AAA batteries instead of stock2.

bkiserx7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
yeah, those periphial port motors dont have crap for torque. mine was a standard side port from '87 and holy cow the difference the first time i dropped the pedal with just a stock 305 outta iroc-z was AMAZING!

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006

Lmao

OH what temps are you getting with the toaster mod? I did the VCR controler mod for a Philips VCR. Great to ahve 10 AAA batteries instead of stock2.

The temps were always going to be high, being it that it's a toaster, so that's sort of the idea. However by liquid cooling it I've managed to get the temps so low that it doesn't actually toast bread any more. Of course I could have unplugged it. But where's the fun in that?

The weight of the controller is up, due to the extra batteries, but the signal strength is getting much better. I'm thinking of cabling it to the VCR with a fibre-channel gigabit connection (because of the lag with the IR).