Sound Problems, and Questions.

clutchstrike

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
It's me again, the computer retard. Well I have effectively built my computer, except for one thing. I get no sound. I want to use the onboard sound on the Gigabyte DS3 Motherboard, so I don't need to connect anything right? Even when I connect the front audio panel it doesn't work.

The problem is that:
I have an illegal copy of Windows XP Professional, with no Service Pack. My Motherboard Audio, USB, and Front Panel Audio drivers require Windows XP Service Pack 1 to install. I also tried downloading straight from Gigabyte's website, but that didn't work. Illegal copies of Windows don't allow downloading of updates such as SP1 and SP2. Right now I am strongly considering buying this:

Microsoft Windows XP Professional With SP2B 1 Pack - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16832116059

Would this fix the problem? OR
Am I just not plugging something in/downloading something else.

P.S. I have tested speakers and headphones that worked with my previous computer on both the main audio and the front panel audio. No sound.
P.P.S. The Device Manager on my computer states that there is No Audio Hardware.
Thanks in advance.

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
The problem is that:
I have an illegal copy of Windows XP Professional, with no Service Pack. My Motherboard Audio, USB, and Front Panel Audio drivers require Windows XP Service Pack 1 to install.

well thats your problem, buy a legal version of 'dow's and this unholy violation of the ToS can end.

KlaasVaak

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
Before you buy the official version you might want to try to download an illegal copy including service pack 2, you know, to see if this will fix your problem. If it does fix your problem you can go out and buy the official Windows XP.

AKJ

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
Process of elimination...

First check that the onboard Audio is enabled in your BIOS.
Then, boot up windows and go to your device manager. Any device that is either displayed with a question mark or exclamation mark next to it, is either faulty or does not have the relevant driver installed.

Then try and install the driver for it.. If that fails, then you know that you need Service pack 2. (You should get a relevant error message if the installation fails)

Most of the newer hardware requires at least XP Service Pack 1 though.

clutchstrike

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
How do I enable onboard sound in BIOS?

And when I go to device manager, it says that I have audio codecs. But when I go to sound options in control panel, it says no sound hardware.

And yes, all the audio drivers require windows service pack 1, but i thought it would be better for me to buy XP with SP2 so I am most updated.

Thanks.

Crapola

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2006
But will buying Windows XP solve my problem? And if so, is the one I picked OK?

It will solve the problem of being illegal...

Please, don't come into this forum boasting that you have an illegal copy of anything..., it's not right....

The sp1 and sp2 will fix a lot of things... :?

AKJ

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
To enable your onboard audio in your BIOS (not sure about gigabyte boards) but it should be under ther "Advanced" menu. Then find the "Chipset" submenu. There you should see something that says "legacy audio" or "onboard audio". Ensure that it is enabled....

However, your drivers WONT work unless you have at least XP SP1 installed... (That is its requirements) Even USB2 wont work without SP1...