Creating shortcut without "Shortcut to" name

I'm creating many shortcuts and I have to rename them always to get rid of
the "Shortcut to......". This is tedious and time consuming. Is there a
way of creating a shortcut in Windows Explorer with the name being exactly
the same as the original? That would be great.

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 21:44:32 -0600, "sdlfkj" <blah@blah.com> wrote:

>I'm creating many shortcuts and I have to rename them always to get rid of
>the "Shortcut to......". This is tedious and time consuming. Is there a
>way of creating a shortcut in Windows Explorer with the name being exactly
>the same as the original? That would be great.

Use TweakUI. After installing it (do a search on the MS site), open
TweakUI in the control panel. Under the Explorer tab, you'll have the
option to prevent the "Shortcut to..." from being appended.

Open the registry editor (Start--Run--regedit)

Navigate to:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Currentversion\Explorer

Create a new binary value named "link"
Give it a value of 00 00 00

Or save this as a .reg file and double click it:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer]
"link"=hex:00,00,00

Ray at home

p.s. This same value exists under HKCU. On my machine, the value is 17 00
00. Changing it to 00 00 00 did not remove the "Shortcut to" prefix. So,
my guess is that the only way to change it is to do as above, but note that
this will affect all users of the computer.

"sdlfkj" <blah@blah.com> wrote in message
> I'm creating many shortcuts and I have to rename them always to get rid of
> the "Shortcut to......". This is tedious and time consuming. Is there a
> way of creating a shortcut in Windows Explorer with the name being exactly
> the same as the original? That would be great.

Looks like the binary value should be 00 00 00 00

But then again not having tried it, it may make no difference.
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=253212

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional