Icon for Show Desktop Does Not Work

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
April 1, 2005 10:49:02 AM

After help from people on this site I have managed to re-create my show
desktop button and put it on the quick launch bar but when I click on it I
get a box asking what programe to open the file with?!

I wonder if I am missing a programe on my machine - any ideas?

More about : icon show desktop work

Anonymous
April 1, 2005 12:05:44 PM

From a command prompt;
E:\>assoc .scf
should return with
..scf=SHCmdFile

E:\>ftype SHCmdFile
should return with
SHCmdFile=explorer.exe

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Nikkit72" wrote:
| After help from people on this site I have managed to re-create my show
| desktop button and put it on the quick launch bar but when I click on it I
| get a box asking what programe to open the file with?!
|
| I wonder if I am missing a programe on my machine - any ideas?
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 12:05:45 PM

Sorry Dave I am a bit thick! What does that mean?

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> From a command prompt;
> E:\>assoc .scf
> should return with
> ..scf=SHCmdFile
>
> E:\>ftype SHCmdFile
> should return with
> SHCmdFile=explorer.exe
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Nikkit72" wrote:
> | After help from people on this site I have managed to re-create my show
> | desktop button and put it on the quick launch bar but when I click on it I
> | get a box asking what programe to open the file with?!
> |
> | I wonder if I am missing a programe on my machine - any ideas?

April 1, 2005 12:31:58 PM

Just wanted to check for the correct file type association.

--

"Nikkit72" wrote:
| Sorry Dave I am a bit thick! What does that mean?
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 12:31:59 PM

Sorry I mean what do I do or where do I type in the "command prompt"? Do I
type it in the "run" box? If so what should I see??

Sorry!!

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> Just wanted to check for the correct file type association.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Nikkit72" wrote:
> | Sorry Dave I am a bit thick! What does that mean?

Anonymous
April 1, 2005 1:30:01 PM

Start|Run|cmd.exe
to open a command prompt window

then type;
assoc .scf
should return with
..scf=SHCmdFile

then type;
ftype SHCmdFile
should return with
SHCmdFile=explorer.exe

--

"Nikkit72" wrote:
| Sorry I mean what do I do or where do I type in the "command prompt"? Do
| type it in the "run" box? If so what should I see??
|
| Sorry!!
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 2:21:01 PM

Thanks Dave, im at home now and will try this in work on Monday - thanks.

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> Start|Run|cmd.exe
> to open a command prompt window
>
> then type;
> assoc .scf
> should return with
> ..scf=SHCmdFile
>
> then type;
> ftype SHCmdFile
> should return with
> SHCmdFile=explorer.exe
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Nikkit72" wrote:
> | Sorry I mean what do I do or where do I type in the "command prompt"? Do
> | type it in the "run" box? If so what should I see??
> |
> | Sorry!!

Anonymous
April 1, 2005 3:28:17 PM

You're welcome. Post back the result.

--

"Nikkit72" wrote:
| Thanks Dave, im at home now and will try this in work on Monday - thanks.
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 5:47:02 AM

Hi Dave, I have now tried the command prompts on my work computer and these
are the result:-

"assoc.scf" - File association not found for extension .scf

and

"SHCmdFile" - SHCmdFile is not recognised as an internal or external
command, operable program or bach file.

I presume these are not the expected results, so any ideas what next??

Thanks Nikki

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> You're welcome. Post back the result.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Nikkit72" wrote:
> | Thanks Dave, im at home now and will try this in work on Monday - thanks.

Anonymous
April 4, 2005 12:51:36 PM

You must type the commands exactly as shown. Note the space between assoc
and .scf
assoc .scf

space between ftype and SHCmdFile
ftype SHCmdFile

--

"Nikkit72" wrote:
| Hi Dave, I have now tried the command prompts on my work computer and
these
| are the result:-
|
| "assoc.scf" - File association not found for extension .scf
|
| and
|
| "SHCmdFile" - SHCmdFile is not recognised as an internal or external
| command, operable program or bach file.
|
| I presume these are not the expected results, so any ideas what next??
|
| Thanks Nikki
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 12:51:37 PM

Hi Dave

Ok, I have tried the command line again and for the

ass .scf I still get - File association not found for extension .scf

and for
SHC mdFIle I get the expected result of = explorer.exe

Any ideas?

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> You must type the commands exactly as shown. Note the space between assoc
> and .scf
> assoc .scf
>
> space between ftype and SHCmdFile
> ftype SHCmdFile
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Nikkit72" wrote:
> | Hi Dave, I have now tried the command prompts on my work computer and
> these
> | are the result:-
> |
> | "assoc.scf" - File association not found for extension .scf
> |
> | and
> |
> | "SHCmdFile" - SHCmdFile is not recognised as an internal or external
> | command, operable program or bach file.
> |
> | I presume these are not the expected results, so any ideas what next??
> |
> | Thanks Nikki

Anonymous
April 4, 2005 1:29:01 PM

From a command prompt;

assoc .scf=SHCmdFile

(note: it must be typed exactly as shown, not with the haphazardness you
typed in your replies)

Sorry for being picky, it's just that it is extremely important. :)

--

"Nikkit72" wrote:
| Hi Dave
|
| Ok, I have tried the command line again and for the
|
| ass .scf I still get - File association not found for extension .scf
|
| and for
| SHC mdFIle I get the expected result of = explorer.exe
|
| Any ideas?
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 5:59:04 AM

Ok, dont worry about being picky!!

When I type "assoc .scf" I get - File Association Not Found For Extension .scf

When I type "ftype SHCmdFile" I get - SHCmdFile=explorer.exe

Is this right?!

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> From a command prompt;
>
> assoc .scf=SHCmdFile
>
> (note: it must be typed exactly as shown, not with the haphazardness you
> typed in your replies)
>
> Sorry for being picky, it's just that it is extremely important. :)
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Nikkit72" wrote:
> | Hi Dave
> |
> | Ok, I have tried the command line again and for the
> |
> | ass .scf I still get - File association not found for extension .scf
> |
> | and for
> | SHC mdFIle I get the expected result of = explorer.exe
> |
> | Any ideas?

Anonymous
April 5, 2005 11:37:58 AM

No, it is not right. To correct it type;

assoc .scf=SHCmdFile

to restore the file type association.

--

"Nikkit72" wrote:
| Ok, dont worry about being picky!!
|
| When I type "assoc .scf" I get - File Association Not Found For Extension
..scf

| When I type "ftype SHCmdFile" I get - SHCmdFile=explorer.exe
|
| Is this right?!
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 4:03:02 PM

Thanks Dave, I am off work now until next Monday, so I will try it then.

Nikki

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> No, it is not right. To correct it type;
>
> assoc .scf=SHCmdFile
>
> to restore the file type association.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Nikkit72" wrote:
> | Ok, dont worry about being picky!!
> |
> | When I type "assoc .scf" I get - File Association Not Found For Extension
> ..scf
> |
> | When I type "ftype SHCmdFile" I get - SHCmdFile=explorer.exe
> |
> | Is this right?!

Anonymous
April 5, 2005 5:51:15 PM

You're welcome.

--

"Nikkit72" wrote:
| Thanks Dave, I am off work now until next Monday, so I will try it then.
|
| Nikki
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 8:02:02 AM

Hi Dave, I have now corrected the command and I get the expected results when
I type both commands in.

What do I do now? Do I retry creating the icon again?

Thanks Nikki

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> You're welcome.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Nikkit72" wrote:
> | Thanks Dave, I am off work now until next Monday, so I will try it then.
> |
> | Nikki

Anonymous
April 11, 2005 10:46:03 AM

Thanks Dave for all your help, sorry if I was a bit dim, but the button now
works!

Thanks again Nikki

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> You're welcome.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Nikkit72" wrote:
> | Thanks Dave, I am off work now until next Monday, so I will try it then.
> |
> | Nikki

Anonymous
April 11, 2005 11:58:01 AM

Glad to hear it's sorted. Thanks for the feedback.

--

!