NTDS KCC 1265

I am getting a ton of NTDS KCC Event ID 1265 messages inside the Directory
Service of Event Viewer.

Does this message implied that the demotion of a DC was not successful,
meaning there still some entries in the AD that needs to be removed?

Thanks to all
4 answers Last reply
More about ntds 1265

    can be ... was that DC demoted recently ?

    for some general troubleshoting of this event look at
    http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=1265&eventno=346&source=NTDS%20KCC&phase=1

    --
    Andrei Ungureanu
    www.eventid.net

    "wli2k2" <wli2k2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am getting a ton of NTDS KCC Event ID 1265 messages inside the Directory
    > Service of Event Viewer.
    >
    > Does this message implied that the demotion of a DC was not successful,
    > meaning there still some entries in the AD that needs to be removed?
    >
    > Thanks to all

    Actually, someone else in my group demoted it recently. My understanding is
    that he could not demote the DC via running DCPROMO, so he manually deleted
    the data in AD (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/216498/). The next day,
    users were having problems logging in, so he did a dcpromo /forceremoval.

    But now we are having this NTDS KCC error in the event viewer.

    Also, on a related note, the KB216498 article states that to remove the DC
    from Active Directory Sites and Services. Yet, when I tried to delete, it
    gave me the message "the DSA object cannot be deleted."

    Any suggestions on this, because I think the problem might be solved if I am
    able to delete the DC from Active Directory Sites and Services.

    thanks

    "Andrei Ungureanu" wrote:

    > can be ... was that DC demoted recently ?
    >
    > for some general troubleshoting of this event look at
    > http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=1265&eventno=346&source=NTDS%20KCC&phase=1
    >

    > --
    > Andrei Ungureanu
    > www.eventid.net
    > Free Windows event logs reports
    > http://www.altairtech.ca/evlog/
    >

    > "wli2k2" <wli2k2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I am getting a ton of NTDS KCC Event ID 1265 messages inside the Directory
    > > Service of Event Viewer.
    > >
    > > Does this message implied that the demotion of a DC was not successful,
    > > meaning there still some entries in the AD that needs to be removed?
    > >
    > > Thanks to all

    try using ADSIEDIT (but make a backup first)

    --

    > Actually, someone else in my group demoted it recently. My understanding
    > is
    > that he could not demote the DC via running DCPROMO, so he manually
    > deleted
    > the data in AD (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/216498/). The next day,
    > users were having problems logging in, so he did a dcpromo /forceremoval.
    >
    > But now we are having this NTDS KCC error in the event viewer.
    >
    > Also, on a related note, the KB216498 article states that to remove the DC
    > from Active Directory Sites and Services. Yet, when I tried to delete, it
    > gave me the message "the DSA object cannot be deleted."
    >
    > Any suggestions on this, because I think the problem might be solved if I
    > am
    > able to delete the DC from Active Directory Sites and Services.
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > "Andrei Ungureanu" wrote:
    >
    >> can be ... was that DC demoted recently ?
    >>
    >> for some general troubleshoting of this event look at
    >> http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=1265&eventno=346&source=NTDS%20KCC&phase=1
    >>

    >> --
    >> Andrei Ungureanu
    >> www.eventid.net
    >> Free Windows event logs reports
    >> http://www.altairtech.ca/evlog/
    >>

    >> "wli2k2" <wli2k2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I am getting a ton of NTDS KCC Event ID 1265 messages inside the
    >> >Directory
    >> > Service of Event Viewer.
    >> >
    >> > Does this message implied that the demotion of a DC was not successful,
    >> > meaning there still some entries in the AD that needs to be removed?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks to all

    My problem is that I followed everything in KB216498, including the using
    ADSIEDIT and I did not find the DC name. But, I did found the DC name in AD
    Sites and Services. However, I get the "the DSA object cannot be deleted"
    message when I tried to delete it.

    There must be something that can be done to remove the object.

    thanks

    "Andrei Ungureanu" wrote:

    > try using ADSIEDIT (but make a backup first)
    >

    > --
    > Andrei Ungureanu
    > www.eventid.net
    > Free Windows event logs reports
    > http://www.altairtech.ca/evlog/
    >
    > "wli2k2" <wli2k2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Actually, someone else in my group demoted it recently. My understanding
    > > is
    > > that he could not demote the DC via running DCPROMO, so he manually
    > > deleted
    > > the data in AD (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/216498/). The next day,
    > > users were having problems logging in, so he did a dcpromo /forceremoval.
    > >
    > > But now we are having this NTDS KCC error in the event viewer.
    > >
    > > Also, on a related note, the KB216498 article states that to remove the DC
    > > from Active Directory Sites and Services. Yet, when I tried to delete, it
    > > gave me the message "the DSA object cannot be deleted."
    > >
    > > Any suggestions on this, because I think the problem might be solved if I
    > > am
    > > able to delete the DC from Active Directory Sites and Services.
    > >
    > > thanks
    > >
    > > "Andrei Ungureanu" wrote:
    > >
    > >> can be ... was that DC demoted recently ?
    > >>
    > >> for some general troubleshoting of this event look at
    > >> http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=1265&eventno=346&source=NTDS%20KCC&phase=1
    > >>

    > >> --
    > >> Andrei Ungureanu
    > >> www.eventid.net