automatrix

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2006
My present configuration is
AMD Athlon 64-3000
Asus A8N-SLI Premium
Leadtek Geforce 6600GT
1 GB TwinMos Dual Channel DDR400

I wish to get a Geforce 8800 for my present system. Does I need to upgrade to a faster processor?

Valtiel

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2005
the 8800 would like it if you had a faster CPU but it doesn't need it persay.

Looking at your system though it loks like it might be due for an upgrade if you're thinking of switching to DX10 capable. For instance 1gig is the bare minimum for DX10/Vista

miribus

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
I agree with the other poster, your system would use it just fine although not as well as it could.
I would very much suggest more ram and a lesser video card unless DX10 is an absolute must for you right away.
And, given the ram prices it's hard to recommend DDR1 when DDR2 is a similar price... though that involves upgrading everything else.
Presuming you can't afford that...
The thing that I would do is hold out with this system for as long as possible and save up for a more complete upgrade. Whether it's C2D or AM2 doesn't matter a tremendous amount in my opinion since price is more of a factor to me, I can't afford the fastest CPU so it doesn't matter to me which company makes it I just want the fastest for the money I can afford, but I can't make that choice for you.
I would only get the 8800 now if you plan on upgrading the rest of the system fairly soon, otherwise by the time you get around to upgrading it you might very well want something better than the 8800, and you'll have the same problem. :)

mattthenewb

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2003
Whether you need an upgrade aside, part of DX10 is it's design to make the Vid Card more independent of the processor. So while a CPU boost may make some difference in gaming performance, it will be more negligable than before.

makrossv

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
I would get a core2 6300 duo OCed to the max or an even faster processor stock, even with my amd clocked to 2.8ghz, my amd x2 3800 is the bottleneck for everything. I did however achieve a 3dmark06 of 9500 with the vid card.

Regardless, hold off on 8800 till Nvidia can release better drivers. There is a massive issues list. I really regret buying one as it doesn't really work with my 32inch lcd properly. DVI output is fudged unless you use a specific driver version. Also, fog effects are screwd for one of the games I play most. CSS does wierd things.

atom22

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
No, It just needs a slow operating system. It won't run on Vista, so you are stuck with XP (makes alot of sense, being a direct x 10 card and all)

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
I haven't messed around with any of the Vista betas and such. Is it really a fast operating system compared to the slower XP OS? Or could it be that you need faster hardware to run Vista?

Parge

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
No, It just needs a slow operating system. It won't run on Vista, so you are stuck with XP (makes alot of sense, being a direct x 10 card and all)

seriously, WTF is this guy on about?

I am always happy to have new people join the forum, but recently there seems to have been a spate of fruitloops joining, who post just for the sake of it, and what they do say, is typically WRONG.

Dade_0182

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
You are going to look like such a fool when nVidia releases the DX10 drivers.
Do you think it will make a big difference in the current games we have when the card can finally take advantage of DX10 in vista? Obviously it'll make a big difference in the DX10 games but how will the DX10 support affect the DX9 games? (if this has been spoken about, my bad, haven't really read up about the new cards all that much)