Help solve this mistery please

9xcalibur9

Distinguished
May 22, 2006
I've recently bought a SATA2 250 WD HDD.
My board itself only supports SATA1.
I pluged everything, formatted and it worked like a charm for a day.
I left my computer running for a day and woke up this morning to a squeeking sound coming from that very brand new HDD. Next thing I know, it's as hot as hell comparing to my other 2 HDDs and the BIOS wont detect it. I tried switching power cords and nothing. I then waited for it to cool off and it is now working just fine.

How could this have happened and does it have anything to do with me not jumpering it to sata1?

thank you

almerac

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
it sounds like a defective drive, you should not need to get a fan for a hard drive, most 7200RPM's just dont get that hot. it also should not be making any kind of grinding noise, other then on spinup and when they seek (both of which shouldn't make a grinding noise), modern hard drives are near silent. RMA your drive.

bydesign

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
It's possible. You have jumpered it to SATA1 now right?

Could be that there is mechanical issues with the drive. If it was making a high pitch squeal then there could be major problem. It could be a bad dering in the motor. I would send it back and get another one just to be safe.

Jumpered?

Sounds like an RMA is in order to me. Aside from that you should have no problems connecting SATA2 drive to a SATA controller

9xcalibur9

Distinguished
May 22, 2006
Well thank you all.
Jumpering didnt help eventually as the clicking noise came back 30 minutes later.
This is the 2nd time I replaced this HDD so it's just a lesson for me I guess:
STAY AWAY FROM WESTERN DIGITAL!

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
It's possible. You have jumpered it to SATA1 now right?

Could be that there is mechanical issues with the drive. If it was making a high pitch squeal then there could be major problem. It could be a bad dering in the motor. I would send it back and get another one just to be safe.

Jumpered?

Sounds like an RMA is in order to me. Aside from that you should have no problems connecting SATA2 drive to a SATA controller

Yup...no mystery there. RAM

miribus

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
These things happen, even with brand new stuff.
It's possibly a short generating that heat and the squeal.
Either way it's abnormal and unlikely you did anything wrong, especially since it was working earlier. It's very hard to screw up a HDD like the way you describe unless there was something mechanically wrong with it, and 7200s don't need fans unless you have a ton of them in a poorly ventilated case, in a poorly ventilated room like a closet or something like a server room in the boiler room of a tramp steamer circling South America.