Win. 2000 Pro Runtime error

Good afternoon,
I am a part-time IT consultant who has come up against a particularly nasty
problem that is resisting all attempts to get past.

In a small business environment; running Windows 2000 Pro. and Windows NT
the main server computer is down.

The message on startup reads;
C://WINNT/explorer.exe has requested the Runtime to close in an unusual way.
Please contact application support team.

The system/ computer is unavailable for functioning. I have tried the
Microsoft info pages...(puzzled now) I have contacted the MSN techies...a
long time ago...

Anybody have any ideas on cracking this blockade? I've even tried a
safe-mode recovery and selecting "revert to last known good configuration" -
to no avail.

-- this is the end of my rope and I'm almost there... any suggestions;
comments or feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,

"aeongoth" <aeongoth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Good afternoon,
> I am a part-time IT consultant who has come up against a particularly
nasty
> problem that is resisting all attempts to get past.
>
> In a small business environment; running Windows 2000 Pro. and Windows NT
> the main server computer is down.
>
> The message on startup reads;
> C://WINNT/explorer.exe has requested the Runtime to close in an unusual
way.
> Please contact application support team.
>
> The system/ computer is unavailable for functioning. I have tried the
> Microsoft info pages...(puzzled now) I have contacted the MSN techies...a
> long time ago...
>
> Anybody have any ideas on cracking this blockade? I've even tried a
> safe-mode recovery and selecting "revert to last known good
configuration" -
> to no avail.
>
> -- this is the end of my rope and I'm almost there... any suggestions;
> comments or feedback would be greatly appreciated.
> Regards,

I am concerned about your client's installation. Windows NT Workstation
expired on 30 June 2003 whereas Windows NT Server expired on
31 December 2004. Your client is running an unsupported version
of Windows, which means that he can no longer get third-party software
for it. Virus scanners and firewalls are probably the most important ones:
Most of these products can no longer be installed or upgraded on the
NT platform. This means that your client is gradually moving into an
unprotected zone.

The above observation affects your next step. You could spend
time trying to fix your current problem (e.g. by reloading WinNT
over the top of the existing installation), or you could upgrade the
installation to WinXP Professional and probably solve the problem
immediately. If not then a fresh installation of WinXP would probably
be a good idea anyway.

Here is what I would do:
1. Get a hard disk of a suitable size.
2. Use an imaging product to copy the system partition to this disk.
3. Remove the old, then boot with the new disk.
4. Upgrade the OS on the new disk to WinXP Professional.

If something goes wrong then you can immediately revert to
your current installation.

You know the only thing I can think of with this runtime error is from MFC , a Microsoft Visual C++ runtime library.

--
George Hester
_________________________________
"aeongoth" <aeongoth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AB35E733-F9D2-4094-BA98-7C46EBE7DAD3@microsoft.com...
> Good afternoon,
> I am a part-time IT consultant who has come up against a particularly nasty
> problem that is resisting all attempts to get past.
>
> In a small business environment; running Windows 2000 Pro. and Windows NT
> the main server computer is down.
>
> The message on startup reads;
> C://WINNT/explorer.exe has requested the Runtime to close in an unusual way.
> Please contact application support team.
>
> The system/ computer is unavailable for functioning. I have tried the
> Microsoft info pages...(puzzled now) I have contacted the MSN techies...a
> long time ago...
>
> Anybody have any ideas on cracking this blockade? I've even tried a
> safe-mode recovery and selecting "revert to last known good configuration" -
> to no avail.
>
> -- this is the end of my rope and I'm almost there... any suggestions;
> comments or feedback would be greatly appreciated.
> Regards,

Many thanks for your reply Pegasus,
I shall take this into account and apply it to the problem.
Regards

"George Hester" wrote:

> You know the only thing I can think of with this runtime error is from MFC , a Microsoft Visual C++ runtime library.
>
> --
> George Hester
> _________________________________
Dear Sir,
Indeed that seemed to be the program that was actually open but minimised on
the toolbar at the time.

I was, initially, considering trying to dump the Microsoft Visual C++
runtime library but I am uncertain of the full ramifications of that step at
this stage. Many thanks for your reply.
Regards

If this server has Visual Studio 6 installed what is its SP? One thing I can tell you is that Windows NT is notorious for these kinds of issues. I would seriously consider switching to Windows 2000 at a minimum. Windows 2003 would probably be best. But working with NT 4 especially with Win 2000 Prof clients I suspect you'll always be trouble shooting it. IMHO.

One thing you might try is looking into the Active Desktop. I suspect that is the root issue here. Somehow explorer.exe has a hook into it (probably the Active Desktop) and either from the registry or a "unknown" hook is causing a conflict. You might try returning IE to a prior version.

--
George Hester