High-end game system, need critique and opinions!

icewolf69

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
Hey all, I’m going to be ordering my parts for my new PC about January 1st, and I’d like everyone to Critique my build. I need to know if there’s any compatibility issues, if there’s a particular part or brand that’s better for me than what I’ve selected, and any other input whatsoever. I didn’t include some of the little stuff like clamps and case fans, because it’s not *that* big of a deal to me which ones I get, but if anyone has any recommendations, please let me know; keep in mind though, I’m looking for a near silent running PC. Lastly, I know you guys on the forums look through these posts all the time, and I can speak for everyone by saying we appreciate your help and opinions.
Also, my budget isn’t limitless, so if you know of a part that’s just as good for cheaper, please let me know. The PC will be over clocked AHARA.
Main System
Case: Silverstone TJ-09B w/ Window
PSU: SIlverstone Zeus ST85ZF 850W
Motherboard: EVGA nForce 680i
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo Extreme x6800 2.93 Ghz (hopefully @ 4GHz)
HDD: 2x SG 750GB SATA 3gb/s Raid 1
HDD: 2x WD Raptor 74GB SATA 10K 16MB Raid0
Video Card: 2x (SLi) BFG GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB Water Cooled Edition
RAM: 4x 1GB OCZ FlexXLC Edition DDR2 1150 (PC2 9200)
DVD: 2x Plextor PX-760A 16x DVD +/- r 10x DVD+R-DL
Audio Card: Creative 7.1 Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Professional Series
Monitor: Samsung 24" 244t
Keyboard: Logitech G15
Mouse: Logitech G5
Speakers: Logitech Z-5500
OS: Windows XP Pro 64bit if I can get my hand on it, if not; Vista RTM
Water Cooling Components
Pump: Swiftech MCP-655 Pump
CPU Block: Swiftech STORM CPU Block 1/2"
Fans (for radiator): 3x Enermax Enlobal Marathon 120 x 25mm Fan (17 dba 44 cfm) Fan
Radiator Mount: MCB-120 Radbox
Reservoir: Swiftech MCRES-Micro High-Flow Reservoir
GPU Block: (included on BFG 8800’s)
Radiator: Thermochill PA120.3 Radiator
Tubing: Tygon Tubing $3.25/ft - 6 ft
Solution: Swiftech HydrX coolant

Also, while you guys (and gals) are here, any recommendations on CPU, RAM, and GPU voltage and bus speeds for over clocking as high as reasonably possible, would be greatly appreciated.
Please let me know what you think ^^;

js2k6

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
That all looks good although a bit of overkill IMO. You might as well get pc2-8500 memory though...

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Also, my budget isn’t limitless,

8O this is like one of the pc's you would see in the "if you won the lotto" thread! since your already dropping insane amounts of cash on this rig, and your putting in a water cooling system, i would go with 2 sets of this ram, that way you can add it to the loop and have water cooled memory. the temps will be much better, so you can oc even higher.

icewolf69

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
Also, my budget isn’t limitless,

8O this is like one of the pc's you would see in the "if you won the lotto" thread! since your already dropping insane amounts of cash on this rig, and your putting in a water cooling system, i would go with 2 sets of this ram, that way you can add it to the loop and have water cooled memory. the temps will be much better, so you can oc even higher.

Problem is, other than being pretty outragously priced, is that their 3/8 fitting. my system is 1/2"

And the system is expensive, but it's my christmas present for spending a year in Iraq. ^^

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
I agree with the other poster about getting the PC9200 instead of the current choice. But another gripe i have is that a SINGLE 8800GTX is more than enough to run a 24" monitor @ native res and full detail on any game. I'd personally buy a single 8800GTX and wait until the R600 comes along and see what the performance difference is. You'd hate to be stuck with 2 under-performing cards rather than one :p

t2couger

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
Hey all, I’m going to be ordering my parts for my new PC about January 1st, and I’d like everyone to Critique my build. I need to know if there’s any compatibility issues, if there’s a particular part or brand that’s better for me than what I’ve selected, and any other input whatsoever. I didn’t include some of the little stuff like clamps and case fans, because it’s not *that* big of a deal to me which ones I get, but if anyone has any recommendations, please let me know; keep in mind though, I’m looking for a near silent running PC. Lastly, I know you guys on the forums look through these posts all the time, and I can speak for everyone by saying we appreciate your help and opinions.
Also, my budget isn’t limitless, so if you know of a part that’s just as good for cheaper, please let me know. The PC will be over clocked AHARA.
Main System
PSU: PC Power and Cooling Turbo-cool 1KW
RAM: 4x 1GB Mushkin extreme performance DDR2 800
Audio Card: Creative Audigy2 ZS
Water Cooling Components
Fans (for radiator): 3x Enermax Enlobal Marathon 120 x 25mm Fan (17 dba 44 cfm) Fan
HD Cooler: 2x Koolance HD-55-L06 Duel HD cooler

Also, while you guys (and gals) are here, any recommendations on CPU, RAM, and GPU voltage and bus speeds for over clocking as high as reasonably possible, would be greatly appreciated.
Please let me know what you think ^^;

overall a great build almost exact like myn i have 2 gig of corsair pc800 C4 and silverstone 750 watt if i need extra power i will run dual 750's

Awsome Case this is what i have and it works great

i would switch thes 2 out to a single 160 raptor i could be wrong but it would be faster that the dual 74 gig

RAM: 4x 1GB Mushkin extreme performance DDR2 800
go for a higher clock cycle for better overclocking

you might want to get a headset as well unless your people don't mind the extra sound. i recommend the Medusa 5.1 headset sounds great i love myn
why go xp 64 when vista is out

make sure you get the revision 2

the new black ice series cam out witch looks good but the extreme series still works good and will fit on bottom section of the case according to measurements and will not have to be mounted on the outside of the case.

icewolf69

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
I agree with the other poster about getting the PC9200 instead of the current choice. But another gripe i have is that a SINGLE 8800GTX is more than enough to run a 24" monitor @ native res and full detail on any game. I'd personally buy a single 8800GTX and wait until the R600 comes along and see what the performance difference is. You'd hate to be stuck with 2 under-performing cards rather than one :p

Well I'm still entertaining the thought of a Dell 30", but I just haven't heard as many good things about it as the Samsung, not to mention the spec's aren't up to par. Samsung is releasing a 30", but I'm unable to find a projected release date, and i think it'll retail for around $2000 ( a little steep for me).

I"ll probably do some more research on the Dell 30" when i wake up. If i don't get it i have thought about dropping the extra 8800, and maybe adding it later on down the road when the intense DX10 games are out.

I'm just not too sure, i may hold off till R600 has been tested, but I'm pretty sure the 8800 will hold it's own no problem against it.

sviola

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
Great rig you'll be assembling. Just make sure you get the OCZ 9200 memo (it doesn't need to be watercooled - just check this anandtech review: http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=2885) and exchange the sound card for a X-Fi, which is way better than a Audigy.

Dell's 30" is considered a great monitor. I've got the Dell 2007 FPW, and it's just great. Also Dell has a great customer support.

On the R600, it'll probably be faster than the 8800 gtx (if it isn't, then ATi/AMD are going to be sc***ed, but I don't think it'll be that much faster as some ATi fans are bragging about), but then, the 8800 gtx is here and will be cheaper by the time R600 comes by (it has also gotten cheaper, you can get a PNY 8800 gtx for 580 usd at newegg).

icewolf69

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
I changed the Ram from the mushkin to the OCZ PC2 9200, i changed the PSU from the PC power and Cooling 1KW to the Silverstone Zeus 850w (ST85ZF) for half the price. I also got rid of the duel HD coolers, because i dont think it's worth $130. I also changed the Audio card from the Audigy to the x-fi. saved like 50 bucks too

I'll update my main post here in a second.

thanks for your help guys, keep it up ^^

hatsurfer

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
The Samsungs resolution of 1920x1200 is high enough to warrant 2 8800gtxs. The size of a screen(i.e.17" vs. 32") is not what is important, but the number of pixels that are displayed. The extra card will also allow him to turn on v-sync and high shadowing options in the most demanding games at his native resolution.

I used a single 8800 for a week at 1920x1080. I've played Oblivion, BF 2142, never winter nights 2, Total war 2, ECT. Believe me, even 1 8800 GTX can get bogged down at some points. The addition of a second card smoothed everything out and is quite impressive. I think with his laundry list he wants the ultimate eye candy. He could always turn down a few of the higher graphics settings, but I don't think that's the point of his new build.

icewolf69

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
The Samsungs resolution of 1920x1200 is high enough to warrant 2 8800gtxs. The size of a screen(i.e.17" vs. 32") is not what is important, but the number of pixels that are displayed. The extra card will also allow him to turn on v-sync and high shadowing options in the most demanding games at his native resolution.

I used a single 8800 for a week at 1920x1080. I've played Oblivion, BF 2142, never winter nights 2, Total war 2, ECT. Believe me, even 1 8800 GTX can get bogged down at some points. The addition of a second card smoothed everything out and is quite impressive. I think with his laundry list he wants the ultimate eye candy. He could always turn down a few of the higher graphics settings, but I don't think that's the point of his new build.

I think you've figured me out ^^

I'm looking for both speed and looks here, true a single GTX would power the 24", but with 2, highest FPS and lowest FPS will both raise. This way, if i have all the HQ settings turned up on 2 GTX's, it can still look good when I'm in an intense firefight. i hate getting bogged down in a battle, it happens to me now on my P4 2.8 @ 3.5 GHz and a FX5700 ultra.

I'm still looking into the 30" dell, but I'm really not all that impressed with it, lower specs, feedback has been ho-hum, and i don't see any real alternative to the 30" dell... an Apple? yeah right.

hatsurfer

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
The Dell 30" is looking mighty nice with the 15% off and free shipping. I think the total comes out to be around 1300~. I got my 37" Westinghouse for $1400 from Best Buy. Not a bad deal for a LCD which serves as TV, XBOX360, HDDVD, and PC monitor for my bedroom.

I also have a SAMSUNG 242MP 24" which is pretty similar to the one you are looking at. The Samsung is a fantastic gaming LCD that I have owned for over a year. It does look a bit better than my westy. I just enjoy the larger screen, so I let my girlfriend watch TV on the Samsung while I get my game on the 37".

SAMSUNG 242MP 24"
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824001103

G

GO for the new 2GB rams at Newegg. That way, you can have 8GB!!!

My opinion.

weskurtz81

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
Yeah,

Nothing like, tax free, hostile fire, and my per diem which was more than 3.50(96 a day :D )

But, I wasn't in Iraq, and not for a year either..... just south of there.

Back on topic, I have a 20inch Dell, and it has been great. Even though the refresh rates might not be as high as you would like, every company measures the refresh rates differently, so, a 14-16ms dell, could be better than an 8ms other brand.

wes

ramble235

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2005
Excellent choice on the mouse :) The G5 may just be the finest gaming mouse ever devised by mankind (including the G7, tho thats very good too and probably the best cordless mouse).

jeepn

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Hey Wes... with your Chuck Norris comments did you happen to get those in the ever popular "Cadillacs"? lol Ive been there quite a bit myself... I built this rig a couple years ago after I returned from there on 98 a day... my last trips have not been so fruitful at 3.50 lol :twisted:

weskurtz81

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
HAHAHA,

3.50 for us now also. Worked at the airport when I was there, but they moved us from our normal NICE "billeting", to a not so near by base, and we just commute. Not naming any specifics for obvious reasons, but if we are talking about the same sandy country, that is extremely small... then we are on track.

As for the jokes, Cadillacs?? I have never seen that site, Cadillacs.com doesn't pull anything up. I went to chuck norris facts and found a bunch.

wes

hatsurfer

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Excellent choice on the mouse :) The G5

Yup, got my G5 in my hand right now. There have been many, but none have claimed as many lives by my hands before. No G7 for me. The battery life is too short. I can't be bothered swapping batteries every day, especially in the middle of a fight.

s-d

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
Main System
Audio Card: Creative 7.1 Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Professional Series
Water Cooling Components

;

yes, no plastic on the front panel and solid enough for an elephant to sit on :lol:

yes, with silverstone you cannot go wrong and less than 1kw is best (1kw means peak input current of 15 to 16 A and most household breakers for general use room outlets are rated at 15 A! --- thus you would need to have the case ALONE on one circuit and everything else (monitor, speakers, a 40W light bulb -lol, etc.) on a separate circuit breaker )

this is a severe problem and kills the entire idea of this build at this time if it were me --- someone else told you to get the ASUS striker extreme which would be better but .... better yet would be to wait till May and get a second generation 680i !

as someone said why not get the quad?

raid 5 standing by (opps ment red 5), hd's fail and they can fail in pairs

i guess

2 x 8800's of anybrand from what i have seen

like someone said water is over the top

fine

xfi elite pro = external, a lot of heat generated that would be better outside of the case, and any plug-ins are not habitually dangling off the front of your case

dell 30"

yes

corded mouse wires break inside the point that attaches to the mouse body so better the g7 - and the g7 activity of swapping batteries is better than a dead g5 mouse battery with no backup

yes

wait for vista for fresh install

Water Cooling Components

sorry but i fall into the catagory of fans versus water - the concept of putting a conductive liquid inside an electrical appliance is way to frightening to me!

thus fans instead of this stuff that follows:

:)

icewolf69

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
this is a severe problem and kills the entire idea of this build at this time if it were me --- someone else told you to get the ASUS striker extreme which would be better but .... better yet would be to wait till May and get a second generation 680i !

I haven't really heard anything bad about the eVGA mobo, why do you say it kills the entire build? The asus striker is pretty nice yes, but worth $400+?

dell 30"

I've decided to stick with the Samsung 244t, i think it's a better quality monitor, not to mention the 30" may be a bit too big for me.

xfi elite pro = external, a lot of heat generated that would be better outside of the case, and any plug-ins are not habitually dangling off the front of your case

I'm confused? you're saying i should pick an external audio card, or the one i picked is external?

I chose an internal because I've never had any audio cords in front of my case that would be solved by an external card, they all go behind my desk. Also, in most of the tests I've done, an audio card has hardly any impact on ambient temperature, hard drives get hotter than that.

Thanks for the help again guys.