Explorer problem (I think!)

What does it mean when I open Explorer and the view always shows an open
folder buried in the tree? I think there must be a problem, it always shows
the start folder open, but I don't understand.

Please comment.

TIA, pjl

Check the shortcut's "Target"

Edit the shortcut's "Target" to read
%systemroot%\explorer.exe /e,E:\
where E:\ is the drive and or directory you wish to expand.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Paul Lady" wrote:
| What does it mean when I open Explorer and the view always shows an open
| folder buried in the tree? I think there must be a problem, it always
shows
| the start folder open, but I don't understand.
|
| Please comment.
|
| TIA, pjl

Dave, I'm right clicking the start, getting the menu with options, one of
which is explorer. I left click, wanting just the normal, unexpanded tree,
and I get the expansion to the start folder. Is this normal? Guess it
could be, but I thought it used to be different. I just want a quick way to
open explorer.

Thx, pjl

"Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
> Check the shortcut's "Target"
>
> Edit the shortcut's "Target" to read
> %systemroot%\explorer.exe /e,E:\
> where E:\ is the drive and or directory you wish to expand.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Paul Lady" wrote:
> | What does it mean when I open Explorer and the view always shows an open
> | folder buried in the tree? I think there must be a problem, it always
> shows
> | the start folder open, but I don't understand.
> |
> | Please comment.
> |
> | TIA, pjl

This is meant more for profiles management. Not recommended as other things
may break but you can edit the default (no name) Reg_Sz values;

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\explore\ddeexec
[ExploreFolder("%l", %I, %S)]
[ExploreFolder("C:\", C:\, %S)]

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\open\ddeexec
[ViewFolder("%l", %I, %S)]
[ViewFolder("C:\", C:\, %S)]

Or just create a shortcut on the desktop.
%systemroot%\explorer.exe /e,C:\
where C:\ is the drive and or directory you wish to expand.