System failed - unable to repair - what does install do?

My windows 2000 system crashed on startup, message said file corrupt
ntoskrnl.exe. The automatic and manual repair methods were unable to find
the system or fix it, even with the emergency disk. I *was* able to copy the
file from the windows 2000 cd using the console repair option. Of course it
is an older version. The system still does not startup. I do get past the
missing or corrupt file message, and windows appears to be loading, as the
graphic bar progresses across the Welcome to Windows 2000 Professional
screen. There is a blue stop screen that flashes by and the machine reboots
so fast that it is impossible to read. I have tried several different
options for startup, including safe mode, logging, etc. Still get the blue
stop screen flying by before i could read it.

Thanks for your ideas.
5 answers Last reply
More about system failed unable repair install

    I don't know how much good this will do, but from a parallel install, run
    regedt32.exe, then from the Local Machine Hive, choose Registry|Load Hive,
    then navigate to the
    %windir%\system32\config
    directory on the other install, and find the system file, then Open, in the
    Key Name box give it some temp name, then under tempname, navigate to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Select
    and look in the Reg_Dword value of "Current", this is the current
    controlset, then navigate to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet00x\Control\CrashControl
    Where x = the value of "Current" (found above) and set the values as follows

    "AutoReboot"=dword:00000000
    "CrashDumpEnabled"=dword:00000001
    "LogEvent"=dword:00000001
    "Overwrite"=dword:00000001
    Then navigate back up to "tempname" and choose Unload Hive, and boot your
    original install, Autoreboot is now turned off so you should be able to read
    the stop error.

    Bug Check Codes
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/ddtools/hh/ddtools/BCIntro_f55acfed-3296-4e84-8885-c3162fd0ddbf.xml.asp

    If nothing else you can at least recover your data from the parallel install
    prior to rebuilding the operating system.

    This article may also help you.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;266465

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Peter Pepper" wrote:
    | My windows 2000 system crashed on startup, message said file corrupt
    | ntoskrnl.exe. The automatic and manual repair methods were unable to
    find
    | the system or fix it, even with the emergency disk. I *was* able to copy
    the
    | file from the windows 2000 cd using the console repair option. Of course
    it
    | is an older version. The system still does not startup. I do get past
    the
    | missing or corrupt file message, and windows appears to be loading, as the
    | graphic bar progresses across the Welcome to Windows 2000 Professional
    | screen. There is a blue stop screen that flashes by and the machine
    reboots
    | so fast that it is impossible to read. I have tried several different
    | options for startup, including safe mode, logging, etc. Still get the
    blue
    | stop screen flying by before i could read it.
    |
    | Thanks for your ideas.

    Thanks for responding Dave.
    (1) I successfully performed a parallel install following the instructions.
    (2) I did as you suggested, using regedt32 to navigate to the local_machine
    on local_machine, and loading the hive from the old install, and giving it a
    temp name, so now I see
    Hkeylocal_machine...>tempname>controloo1>control>crash control>
    There are seven values visible in the format,
    AutoReboot: Reg_Dword: 0 or
    CrashDumpEnabled: Reg_Dword: 0x3
    I am unable to edit values from here. Message is, Access Denied. Registry
    Editor could not save the value entry. The Key currently selected does not
    give you access to a value entry.

    Can you guide me through this, or can you refer me to a reference page to
    read to understand the regedt32 process better? In a past life I was a
    Win'98/Me poweruser, so these win2k problems and commands are foreign to me.

    I appreciate your time and effort.
    Peter Pepper

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > I don't know how much good this will do, but from a parallel install, run
    > regedt32.exe, then from the Local Machine Hive, choose Registry|Load Hive,
    > then navigate to the
    > %windir%\system32\config
    > directory on the other install, and find the system file, then Open, in the
    > Key Name box give it some temp name, then under tempname, navigate to
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Select
    > and look in the Reg_Dword value of "Current", this is the current
    > controlset, then navigate to
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet00x\Control\CrashControl
    > Where x = the value of "Current" (found above) and set the values as follows
    >
    > "AutoReboot"=dword:00000000
    > "CrashDumpEnabled"=dword:00000001
    > "LogEvent"=dword:00000001
    > "Overwrite"=dword:00000001
    > Then navigate back up to "tempname" and choose Unload Hive, and boot your
    > original install, Autoreboot is now turned off so you should be able to read
    > the stop error.
    >
    > Bug Check Codes
    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/ddtools/hh/ddtools/BCIntro_f55acfed-3296-4e84-8885-c3162fd0ddbf.xml.asp
    >
    > If nothing else you can at least recover your data from the parallel install
    > prior to rebuilding the operating system.
    >
    > This article may also help you.
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;266465
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "Peter Pepper" wrote:
    > | My windows 2000 system crashed on startup, message said file corrupt
    > | ntoskrnl.exe. The automatic and manual repair methods were unable to
    > find
    > | the system or fix it, even with the emergency disk. I *was* able to copy
    > the
    > | file from the windows 2000 cd using the console repair option. Of course
    > it
    > | is an older version. The system still does not startup. I do get past
    > the
    > | missing or corrupt file message, and windows appears to be loading, as the
    > | graphic bar progresses across the Welcome to Windows 2000 Professional
    > | screen. There is a blue stop screen that flashes by and the machine
    > reboots
    > | so fast that it is impossible to read. I have tried several different
    > | options for startup, including safe mode, logging, etc. Still get the
    > blue
    > | stop screen flying by before i could read it.
    > |
    > | Thanks for your ideas.

    You must logon as local administrator. This article may help you.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];256986

    --

    "Peter Pepper" wrote:
    | Thanks for responding Dave.
    | (1) I successfully performed a parallel install following the
    instructions.
    | (2) I did as you suggested, using regedt32 to navigate to the
    local_machine
    | on local_machine, and loading the hive from the old install, and giving it
    | temp name, so now I see
    | Hkeylocal_machine...>tempname>controloo1>control>crash control>
    | There are seven values visible in the format,
    | AutoReboot: Reg_Dword: 0 or
    | CrashDumpEnabled: Reg_Dword: 0x3
    | I am unable to edit values from here. Message is, Access Denied.
    Registry
    | Editor could not save the value entry. The Key currently selected does
    not
    | give you access to a value entry.
    |
    | Can you guide me through this, or can you refer me to a reference page to
    | read to understand the regedt32 process better? In a past life I was a
    | Win'98/Me poweruser, so these win2k problems and commands are foreign to
    me.

    | I appreciate your time and effort.
    | Peter Pepper

    Hi Dave:

    I am unable to login as administrator. Perhaps I botched the install?
    There does not seem to be an administrator login. Should I assume the user
    name and pwd would be administrator if I did not create any users? Is my
    lack of capitalization an issue?

    I would really like to get this desktop running, as it has some important
    infor relative to April 15 on it.

    Thanks.
    Peter

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > You must logon as local administrator. This article may help you.
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];256986
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "Peter Pepper" wrote:
    > | Thanks for responding Dave.
    > | (1) I successfully performed a parallel install following the
    > instructions.
    > | (2) I did as you suggested, using regedt32 to navigate to the
    > local_machine
    > | on local_machine, and loading the hive from the old install, and giving it
    > | temp name, so now I see
    > | Hkeylocal_machine...>tempname>controloo1>control>crash control>
    > | There are seven values visible in the format,
    > | AutoReboot: Reg_Dword: 0 or
    > | CrashDumpEnabled: Reg_Dword: 0x3
    > | I am unable to edit values from here. Message is, Access Denied.
    > Registry
    > | Editor could not save the value entry. The Key currently selected does
    > not
    > | give you access to a value entry.
    > |
    > | Can you guide me through this, or can you refer me to a reference page to
    > | read to understand the regedt32 process better? In a past life I was a
    > | Win'98/Me poweruser, so these win2k problems and commands are foreign to
    > me.
    > |
    > | I appreciate your time and effort.
    > | Peter Pepper

    The local administrator account is a built-in account and exists in all new
    installs. The user name is not case sensitive but the password (if any) is
    case sensitive. Try leaving the password blank which may be the case if you
    didn't specify one at the time of the install.

    --

    "Peter Pepper" wrote:
    | Hi Dave:
    |
    | I am unable to login as administrator. Perhaps I botched the install?
    | There does not seem to be an administrator login. Should I assume the
    user
    | name and pwd would be administrator if I did not create any users? Is my
    | lack of capitalization an issue?
    |
    | I would really like to get this desktop running, as it has some important
    | infor relative to April 15 on it.
    |
    | Thanks.
    | Peter

Windows 2000 Microsoft Windows