restore in 2000 pro?

Win98SE has scanreg/restore, XP has restore points... what is it called in
2000pro? How do you turn back time in 2000 if something buggers up?

I really have some problems in the boy's 98se install and would like to
upgrade it to a 2000pro that I got forever ago and never put on it, but...
what if he screws it up (he's about to turn 12)? What if I put one of his
apps on it and it doesn't agree with something? Is there some sort of magic
fix for the basic stuff? I absolutely hate doing formats and reinstalling
all that stuff and, frankly do not have time for it... I'm also not spending
90beans on putting XP on each and every machine in this house (there has to
be some family friendly alternative).

How do I restore 2000?
3 answers Last reply
More about restore 2000

    Be advised that upgrades from win9x almost always fail for any number of
    reasons. Save yourself some time and trouble, given that you'll more than
    likely end up with an unstable OS with all the remnants/ corruption left
    behind from the upgrade. Best to blow it all away and go for the clean
    install.

    To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 CD-Rom or setup disks.
    The set of four install disks can be created from your Win2k CD-rom; change
    to the \bootdisk directory on the cd-rom and execute makeboot.exe (from dos)
    or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the prompts.

    During Windows 2000 setup, at some point, will want to confirm the previous
    operating system for the upgrade; at that point you'll simply insert the
    qualified product install CD for it to verify. Then the install will
    proceed.

    Check the pc, mb or hardware manufacturer's web site for the latest bios and
    or Windows 2000 drivers for your devices.

    Be sure to apply these to your new install before connecting to any network.

    http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFECD095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE

    There is no system restore in Windows 2000

    You can run Programs|Accessories|System Tools|Backup, then choose ERD, then
    if you check the box for "Also backup....", then the reg will also be backed
    up to
    %windir%\repair\RegBack
    leaving the
    %windir%\repair\
    directory files intact as original installation.

    Then archive the files in
    %windir%\repair\RegBack
    These would, in effect, be registry restore points.

    You can replace registry hives from within the recovery console by copying
    the files from your archive to;
    %windir%\system32\config

    To start the Recovery Console, start the computer from the Windows 2000
    Setup CD or the Windows 2000 Setup floppy disks. If you do not have Setup
    floppy disks and your computer cannot start from the Windows 2000 Setup CD,
    use another Windows 2000-based computer to create the Setup floppy disks.
    Press ENTER at the "Setup Notification" screen. Press R to repair a Windows
    2000 installation, and then press C to use the Recovery Console. The
    Recovery Console then prompts you for the administrator password. If you do
    not have the correct password, Recovery Console does not allow access to the
    computer. If an incorrect password is entered three times, the Recovery
    Console quits and restarts the computer. Note If the registry is corrupted
    or missing or no valid installations are found, the Recovery Console starts
    in the root of the startup volume without requiring a password. You cannot
    access any folders, but you can carry out commands such as chkdsk, fixboot,
    and fixmbr for limited disk repairs. Once the password has been validated,
    you have full access to the Recovery Console, but limited access to the hard
    disk. You can only access the following folders on your computer: drive
    root, %systemroot% or %windir%

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Jess Fertudei" wrote:
    | Win98SE has scanreg/restore, XP has restore points... what is it called in
    | 2000pro? How do you turn back time in 2000 if something buggers up?
    |
    | I really have some problems in the boy's 98se install and would like to
    | upgrade it to a 2000pro that I got forever ago and never put on it, but...
    | what if he screws it up (he's about to turn 12)? What if I put one of his
    | apps on it and it doesn't agree with something? Is there some sort of
    magic
    | fix for the basic stuff? I absolutely hate doing formats and reinstalling
    | all that stuff and, frankly do not have time for it... I'm also not
    spending
    | 90beans on putting XP on each and every machine in this house (there has
    | be some family friendly alternative).
    |
    | How do I restore 2000?

    YIKES!

    Looks like I either start 98SE all over again or shell out for another copy
    of XPHome. I thought second licenses for the home were rather cheap, but you
    only save $5 over retail and that's a shame as I like XP on this machine a
    lot once I got used to it.

    I guess I could put the 2000pro on ebay to pay for the XP... but I have
    another machine in the home that needs a new OS, too.

    Well... thanks anyhow.

    "Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > | Win98SE has scanreg/restore, XP has restore points... what is it called
    in
    > | 2000pro? How do you turn back time in 2000 if something buggers up?
    > |
    > | I really have some problems in the boy's 98se install and would like to
    > | upgrade it to a 2000pro that I got forever ago and never put on it,
    but...
    > | what if he screws it up (he's about to turn 12)? What if I put one of
    his
    > | apps on it and it doesn't agree with something? Is there some sort of
    > magic
    > | fix for the basic stuff? I absolutely hate doing formats and
    reinstalling
    > | all that stuff and, frankly do not have time for it... I'm also not
    > spending
    > | 90beans on putting XP on each and every machine in this house (there has

    Regardless of which OS you prefer to stay with, you should consider using a disk
    imaging software product for your backup needs.

    With this software one can easily and quickly backup/restore a complete hard
    drive. The disk backup file contains the exact copy of a hard disk, including
    all the computer data, operating system, programs and all patches and hotfixes.
    After a system crash you can restore the entire system or simply replace lost
    files and folders from your disk backup.

    This backup can be stored to a hidden or visible partition on your existing
    drive, to another separate drive (much safer) or to a network store.

    There are many versions of this software available, including Symantec's Ghost,
    Acronis True Image, Terabyte's Image For Windows.

    For ease of use, I recommend the Acronis product. I have also used earlier
    versions of Ghost, PowerQuest Drive Image v6.0 (now Ghost), but experienced
    burner incompatibilities with the former and an incompatibility issue on WinXP
    SP1 with the latter.

    If you ever have problems booting into Windows, the Acronis True Image utility
    can be accessed during the boot
    cycle or from its self-booting Rescue Disk (CD)...but you'll you need a burner
    to create this.

    Check this link for more details:

    Acronis True Image 8.0
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/