Another Wireless Webcam Question

I want to put a webcam in a detached garage which is about 100 feet from my
computer. The computer is located at the opposite end of the main house.
Both buildings are made of brick and block. The electrical wiring for the
garage is buried so I can't just run a cable; besides a 100 foot long USB
cable seems excessive. I need the camera to capture a clear, sharp image
even in low light conditions. I've looked around and wireless webcams seem
to have image quality issues. I've found plenty of wired cameras that work
well in low light, even down to 2 lux.

Is there another option besides connecting a wired webcam to a computer in
the garage and using a wireless connection to connect the garage computer to
the house network?

Is there a good quality wireless webcam that will work in low light,
transmit through several brick walls, and not cost $500(US)?
3 answers Last reply
More about another wireless webcam question

    On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 18:56:25 -0500, "SpitFar"
    <mapper55AThotmailDOTcom> wrote:

    >I want to put a webcam in a detached garage which is about 100 feet from my
    >computer. The computer is located at the opposite end of the main house.
    >Both buildings are made of brick and block. The electrical wiring for the
    >garage is buried so I can't just run a cable; besides a 100 foot long USB
    >cable seems excessive. I need the camera to capture a clear, sharp image
    >even in low light conditions. I've looked around and wireless webcams seem
    >to have image quality issues. I've found plenty of wired cameras that work
    >well in low light, even down to 2 lux.
    >
    >Is there another option besides connecting a wired webcam to a computer in
    >the garage and using a wireless connection to connect the garage computer to
    >the house network?
    >
    >Is there a good quality wireless webcam that will work in low light,
    >transmit through several brick walls, and not cost $500(US)?

    You could look for an ethernet cam and connect it to a bridge
    using cat5. Put the bridge up high on the outside of the garage.
    Get a cheap wireless router to connect to your house lan, and put
    it outside up high to connect to the bridge on the garage. If
    there is no pavement (or is a way around it), I'd use one of the
    lawn/sidewalk "edgers" to make a small groove in the ground and
    run a piece of cat3 four conductor telephone wire in the groove
    between the buildings to carry the analog video signal from an
    analog cam.

    I'm currently hooking up my farm monitoring system of a clearance made in
    China video camera system which is four 2.4GHz black and white cameras and a
    5 inch monitor that switches between each of the four cameras or sits on the
    chosen one camera and has a simple RCA connector video out to hook it up to
    a VCR. I intend to use a video capture card to then capture this to the pc.

    I'm experimenting with range and hope to get 300 feet (almost line of
    sight???) radio connection from the front gate camera, with the remainder at
    shorter ranges. The radio equiped cameras are powered from 12 volt plugpacks
    and can be run from battery or solar if desired, and come with 6 IR LEDS to
    provide some night vision at shorter ranges.

    The cameras systen cost me Aus$59 with two cameras and the extra cameras
    were Aus$20 each. There may be a similar option in your area.

    Hope this helps,
    Peter

    "SpitFar" <mapper55AThotmailDOTcom> wrote in message
    > I want to put a webcam in a detached garage which is about 100 feet from
    my
    > computer. The computer is located at the opposite end of the main house.
    > Both buildings are made of brick and block. The electrical wiring for the
    > garage is buried so I can't just run a cable; besides a 100 foot long USB
    > cable seems excessive. I need the camera to capture a clear, sharp image
    > even in low light conditions. I've looked around and wireless webcams
    seem
    > to have image quality issues. I've found plenty of wired cameras that
    work
    > well in low light, even down to 2 lux.
    >
    > Is there another option besides connecting a wired webcam to a computer in
    > the garage and using a wireless connection to connect the garage computer
    > the house network?
    >
    > Is there a good quality wireless webcam that will work in low light,
    > transmit through several brick walls, and not cost $500(US)?

    i dont know any wireless webcam that works well under low light. but if your
    looking for a wired webcam, check out 3com homeconnect webcam. you can
    purchase them cheaply on ebay. heres a review:
    http://www6.tomshardware.com/consumer/20040910/

    lan cameras: http://www.tomsnetworking.com/network/20020923/index.html

    i have a 3com homeconnect wired in my living room window. webcam streams
    video to my website.
    http://home.rochester.rr.com/ducksauce/web/tv.html

    "Bushy Pete" <please@reply.to.group> wrote in message
    > I'm currently hooking up my farm monitoring system of a clearance made in
    > China video camera system which is four 2.4GHz black and white cameras and
    > 5 inch monitor that switches between each of the four cameras or sits on
    > the
    > chosen one camera and has a simple RCA connector video out to hook it up
    > a VCR. I intend to use a video capture card to then capture this to the
    > pc.
    >
    > I'm experimenting with range and hope to get 300 feet (almost line of
    > sight???) radio connection from the front gate camera, with the remainder
    > at
    > shorter ranges. The radio equiped cameras are powered from 12 volt
    > plugpacks
    > and can be run from battery or solar if desired, and come with 6 IR LEDS
    > provide some night vision at shorter ranges.
    >
    > The cameras systen cost me Aus$59 with two cameras and the extra cameras
    > were Aus$20 each. There may be a similar option in your area.
    >
    > Hope this helps,
    > Peter
    >
    > "SpitFar" <mapper55AThotmailDOTcom> wrote in message
    >> I want to put a webcam in a detached garage which is about 100 feet from
    > my
    >> computer. The computer is located at the opposite end of the main house.
    >> Both buildings are made of brick and block. The electrical wiring for
    >> the
    >> garage is buried so I can't just run a cable; besides a 100 foot long USB
    >> cable seems excessive. I need the camera to capture a clear, sharp image
    >> even in low light conditions. I've looked around and wireless webcams
    > seem
    >> to have image quality issues. I've found plenty of wired cameras that
    > work
    >> well in low light, even down to 2 lux.
    >>
    >> Is there another option besides connecting a wired webcam to a computer
    >> in
    >> the garage and using a wireless connection to connect the garage computer
    >> the house network?
    >>
    >> Is there a good quality wireless webcam that will work in low light,
    >> transmit through several brick walls, and not cost $500(US)?

Webcams Wireless Computer Peripherals