Another Wireless Webcam Question

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
a b F Wireless
March 17, 2005 9:56:25 PM

I want to put a webcam in a detached garage which is about 100 feet from my
computer. The computer is located at the opposite end of the main house.
Both buildings are made of brick and block. The electrical wiring for the
garage is buried so I can't just run a cable; besides a 100 foot long USB
cable seems excessive. I need the camera to capture a clear, sharp image
even in low light conditions. I've looked around and wireless webcams seem
to have image quality issues. I've found plenty of wired cameras that work
well in low light, even down to 2 lux.

Is there another option besides connecting a wired webcam to a computer in
the garage and using a wireless connection to connect the garage computer to
the house network?

Is there a good quality wireless webcam that will work in low light,
transmit through several brick walls, and not cost $500(US)?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 18, 2005 8:43:45 AM

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 18:56:25 -0500, "SpitFar"
<mapper55AThotmailDOTcom> wrote:

>I want to put a webcam in a detached garage which is about 100 feet from my
>computer. The computer is located at the opposite end of the main house.
>Both buildings are made of brick and block. The electrical wiring for the
>garage is buried so I can't just run a cable; besides a 100 foot long USB
>cable seems excessive. I need the camera to capture a clear, sharp image
>even in low light conditions. I've looked around and wireless webcams seem
>to have image quality issues. I've found plenty of wired cameras that work
>well in low light, even down to 2 lux.
>
>Is there another option besides connecting a wired webcam to a computer in
>the garage and using a wireless connection to connect the garage computer to
>the house network?
>
>Is there a good quality wireless webcam that will work in low light,
>transmit through several brick walls, and not cost $500(US)?

You could look for an ethernet cam and connect it to a bridge
using cat5. Put the bridge up high on the outside of the garage.
Get a cheap wireless router to connect to your house lan, and put
it outside up high to connect to the bridge on the garage. If
there is no pavement (or is a way around it), I'd use one of the
lawn/sidewalk "edgers" to make a small groove in the ground and
run a piece of cat3 four conductor telephone wire in the groove
between the buildings to carry the analog video signal from an
analog cam.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 18, 2005 2:00:05 PM

I'm currently hooking up my farm monitoring system of a clearance made in
China video camera system which is four 2.4GHz black and white cameras and a
5 inch monitor that switches between each of the four cameras or sits on the
chosen one camera and has a simple RCA connector video out to hook it up to
a VCR. I intend to use a video capture card to then capture this to the pc.

I'm experimenting with range and hope to get 300 feet (almost line of
sight???) radio connection from the front gate camera, with the remainder at
shorter ranges. The radio equiped cameras are powered from 12 volt plugpacks
and can be run from battery or solar if desired, and come with 6 IR LEDS to
provide some night vision at shorter ranges.

The cameras systen cost me Aus$59 with two cameras and the extra cameras
were Aus$20 each. There may be a similar option in your area.

Hope this helps,
Peter

"SpitFar" <mapper55AThotmailDOTcom> wrote in message
news:p 5ydnZ3BcYaohKffRVn-2g@comcast.com...
> I want to put a webcam in a detached garage which is about 100 feet from
my
> computer. The computer is located at the opposite end of the main house.
> Both buildings are made of brick and block. The electrical wiring for the
> garage is buried so I can't just run a cable; besides a 100 foot long USB
> cable seems excessive. I need the camera to capture a clear, sharp image
> even in low light conditions. I've looked around and wireless webcams
seem
> to have image quality issues. I've found plenty of wired cameras that
work
> well in low light, even down to 2 lux.
>
> Is there another option besides connecting a wired webcam to a computer in
> the garage and using a wireless connection to connect the garage computer
> the house network?
>
> Is there a good quality wireless webcam that will work in low light,
> transmit through several brick walls, and not cost $500(US)?

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 18, 2005 2:00:06 PM

i dont know any wireless webcam that works well under low light. but if your
looking for a wired webcam, check out 3com homeconnect webcam. you can
purchase them cheaply on ebay. heres a review:
http://www6.tomshardware.com/consumer/20040910/

lan cameras: http://www.tomsnetworking.com/network/20020923/index.ht...

i have a 3com homeconnect wired in my living room window. webcam streams
video to my website.
http://home.rochester.rr.com/ducksauce/web/tv.html

news:D 1d96u$10hb$1@bunyip2.cc.uq.edu.au...

!