optimizing PC configuration for Photoshop

vjack

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
I want to build/buy a computer that will maximize Photoshop performance. I am fairly clear on everything except the hard drive choices. I have encountered two different recommendations and want to get your input.

1. Two fast drives (Raptors) in RAID 0.
2. One fast drive as a dedicated scratch disk with a standard-speed drive to hold the OS, applications, etc.

Option 2 makes sense to me because I've always heard that Photoshop works better with a dedicated scratch disk. Anyway, what HD config do you recommend (and tell me if I'm missing a better option)?

If you create a dedicated scratch disk on a different channel (aka cable), Photoshop will run considerably faster when working with VERY large files... aka 100mb and up. You may not want to raid 0 your drives as drive failure % will double, and that is a big downside for a digital artist. I would recommend instead going with a Raptor drive. They are close to the performance of a raid 0 setup, and sometimes faster too.

And one of the best things you can do for Photoshop, is supply it with lots of memory. 3gb max for Windows XP. If you max our your memory, you can reduce the page file of your hard disk to 1gb (default will be 3gb) or less which will force the computer to use more ram, and thus be a bit speedier. You can fine tweak this setting to best suit your environment however.

Good luck with your new computer. Post some Photoshop projects you have done.. always fun to see.

vjack

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
That sounds good. I'll skip the RAID and get one fast drive for a dedicated scratch disk. About your recommendation for more RAM, doesn't this mean I need to go 64-bit? I seem to remember that 32-bit XP maxes out at 2GB.

XP32bit can address 3gb worth of memory at maximum, (and wont see any more then that either).

WindowsXP 64bit is not really recomended as its hardly a supported OS. If you look up your hardware and find everything you need is supported by XP64, (and Adobe products are), then your good to go, and its recomended.

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
I don't see you needing more that 3gb at all. XP64 will just complicate life, stick with the scratch drive idea and you should run smooth with 3gb of quality ram.

Rhinofart

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I agree with Comptia_Rep on all accounts except for the Billions of Electrons being murdered. Get a good quality fast drive for scratch media, max your RAM, and life will be good. I personally run Windows XPx64, but I don't think you will NEED it for PS work. Make sure that you put the fast drive on it's own channel if possible. Just dont put your Optical drives on the same chanel as your os or your scratch disk as the whole chain will run only as fast as it's slowest component. And if you do it for a living or want to keep your work intact get a decent backup device as well, cause life really sux when all your important stuff is on a single drive that fails on you. :evil:

How does Photoshop run in 64bit mode? I have used 64bit windows, and didn't get far because I didnt care to deal with the compatibility issues. Its too bad though, with all the hype surrounding 64 bit processors, we really haven't been able to take advantage of the processor in that regards.

Rhinofart

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I don't see any real difference between PS in 32 Bit VS 64 Bit. Unless PS needs to be patched to take advantage of it. The biggest change I ever noticed in PS was increasing my RAM. That was a huge difference.

duthoy

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
did you choose for a matrox graphics card?
they stil rule 2D quality, perfect for photoshop!

on the drives, Comptia_Rep is right.
raptors, with dedicated channel.
succes with the machine.
please post your final specs?

Rhinofart

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I got myself a Matrox Mystique way back, but I wasn't impressed with it gaming wise. I never bought another Matrox again. Just like I never touched a Cyrix proc after my disapointing experience with the 6x86 120+

hella-d

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
XP X64 Didnt Complicate Anything For Me, Just Made My Computing Experiance Better, The ONLY Thing That I Cant Find Drivers For Is A Webcam, But I Rarely Use Them So I Dont Care