Strange keyboard mode

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
April 3, 2005 6:37:02 AM

Hi,
I am periodically having problems with the keyboard getting into a strange
mode, probably as a result of some key sequence, although I am not sure what
the last thing I pressed was. Something with chording on Alt, Ctrl and/or
Shift.
It then behaves as if the control key were permanently pressed.

I have had problems before getting stuck in an accessibility mode and not
knowing how to get out of it. This feels similar.

Does anyone recognise these symptoms?

1. If I press a letter, the current programme hears Ctrl+ the letter. This
also applies to function buttons: F8 is heard as Ctrl+F8.
2. If I select programmes with the mouse on the task bar, more than one gets
selected, rather than switching between programmes.
3. If I left-click on text in a browser, whole sentences or paragraphs are
selected.
4. If I log-off the mode is still set, although rebooting clears it.
Indeed, this is the only way I have found out of the mode.

Incidentally, if I press Alt+Delete, it does not do an Alt+Ctrl+Delete.

I am using Windows 2000 SP4.

Thanks
Roger

More about : strange keyboard mode

Anonymous
April 4, 2005 2:58:13 AM

"Roger Nye" <Roger Nye@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I am periodically having problems with the keyboard getting into a strange
> mode, probably as a result of some key sequence, although I am not sure
what
> the last thing I pressed was. Something with chording on Alt, Ctrl and/or
> Shift.
> It then behaves as if the control key were permanently pressed.
>
> I have had problems before getting stuck in an accessibility mode and not
> knowing how to get out of it. This feels similar.
>
> Does anyone recognise these symptoms?
>
> 1. If I press a letter, the current programme hears Ctrl+ the letter.
This
> also applies to function buttons: F8 is heard as Ctrl+F8.
> 2. If I select programmes with the mouse on the task bar, more than one
gets
> selected, rather than switching between programmes.
> 3. If I left-click on text in a browser, whole sentences or paragraphs
are
> selected.
> 4. If I log-off the mode is still set, although rebooting clears it.
> Indeed, this is the only way I have found out of the mode.
>
> Incidentally, if I press Alt+Delete, it does not do an Alt+Ctrl+Delete.
>
> I am using Windows 2000 SP4.
>
> Thanks
> Roger

This could be a keyboard problem. I suggest you try a
different keyboard.

The problem is usually solved by pressing all six control
keys, one after the other: left Shift, Control, Alt, right Shift,
Control, Alt.
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 2:58:14 AM

Thanks,
When I reached the right Ctrl button that seemed to clear it (touch wood).
I don't know if the earlier keys were necessary, but it is an quicker escape
than rebooting.

!