Strange keyboard mode

Hi,
I am periodically having problems with the keyboard getting into a strange
mode, probably as a result of some key sequence, although I am not sure what
the last thing I pressed was. Something with chording on Alt, Ctrl and/or
Shift.
It then behaves as if the control key were permanently pressed.

I have had problems before getting stuck in an accessibility mode and not
knowing how to get out of it. This feels similar.

Does anyone recognise these symptoms?

1. If I press a letter, the current programme hears Ctrl+ the letter. This
also applies to function buttons: F8 is heard as Ctrl+F8.
2. If I select programmes with the mouse on the task bar, more than one gets
selected, rather than switching between programmes.
3. If I left-click on text in a browser, whole sentences or paragraphs are
selected.
4. If I log-off the mode is still set, although rebooting clears it.
Indeed, this is the only way I have found out of the mode.

Incidentally, if I press Alt+Delete, it does not do an Alt+Ctrl+Delete.

I am using Windows 2000 SP4.

Thanks
Roger
2 answers Last reply
More about strange keyboard mode

    "Roger Nye" <Roger Nye@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I am periodically having problems with the keyboard getting into a strange
    > mode, probably as a result of some key sequence, although I am not sure
    what
    > the last thing I pressed was. Something with chording on Alt, Ctrl and/or
    > Shift.
    > It then behaves as if the control key were permanently pressed.
    >
    > I have had problems before getting stuck in an accessibility mode and not
    > knowing how to get out of it. This feels similar.
    >
    > Does anyone recognise these symptoms?
    >
    > 1. If I press a letter, the current programme hears Ctrl+ the letter.
    This
    > also applies to function buttons: F8 is heard as Ctrl+F8.
    > 2. If I select programmes with the mouse on the task bar, more than one
    gets
    > selected, rather than switching between programmes.
    > 3. If I left-click on text in a browser, whole sentences or paragraphs
    are
    > selected.
    > 4. If I log-off the mode is still set, although rebooting clears it.
    > Indeed, this is the only way I have found out of the mode.
    >
    > Incidentally, if I press Alt+Delete, it does not do an Alt+Ctrl+Delete.
    >
    > I am using Windows 2000 SP4.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Roger

    This could be a keyboard problem. I suggest you try a
    different keyboard.

    The problem is usually solved by pressing all six control
    keys, one after the other: left Shift, Control, Alt, right Shift,
    Control, Alt.

    Thanks,
    When I reached the right Ctrl button that seemed to clear it (touch wood).
    I don't know if the earlier keys were necessary, but it is an quicker escape
    than rebooting.

    "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

    > "Roger Nye" <Roger Nye@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > > I am periodically having problems with the keyboard getting into a strange
    > > mode, probably as a result of some key sequence, although I am not sure
    > what
    > > the last thing I pressed was. Something with chording on Alt, Ctrl and/or
    > > Shift.
    > > It then behaves as if the control key were permanently pressed.
    > >
    > > I have had problems before getting stuck in an accessibility mode and not
    > > knowing how to get out of it. This feels similar.
    > >
    > > Does anyone recognise these symptoms?
    > >
    > > 1. If I press a letter, the current programme hears Ctrl+ the letter.
    > This
    > > also applies to function buttons: F8 is heard as Ctrl+F8.
    > > 2. If I select programmes with the mouse on the task bar, more than one
    > gets
    > > selected, rather than switching between programmes.
    > > 3. If I left-click on text in a browser, whole sentences or paragraphs
    > are
    > > selected.
    > > 4. If I log-off the mode is still set, although rebooting clears it.
    > > Indeed, this is the only way I have found out of the mode.
    > >
    > > Incidentally, if I press Alt+Delete, it does not do an Alt+Ctrl+Delete.
    > >
    > > I am using Windows 2000 SP4.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > Roger
    > >

    > This could be a keyboard problem. I suggest you try a
    > different keyboard.
    >
    > The problem is usually solved by pressing all six control
    > keys, one after the other: left Shift, Control, Alt, right Shift,
    > Control, Alt.

Microsoft Keyboards Windows