Firewall Question

Hi,
Can I use Firewall ZoneAlarm along with default XP Pro Firewall.? Will there
be any conflict or stability issue in my system? I though have the latest
updates and pacthes of XP, but still am thinking of experimenting. Any advice
, please!

Thanks
14 answers Last reply
More about firewall question

    In news:2BDC9204-2C8B-4C3A-982D-EF59E32345AF@microsoft.com,
    kallu <kallu@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > Can I use Firewall ZoneAlarm along with default XP Pro
    > Firewall.?
    > Will there be any conflict or stability issue in my system? I
    > though
    > have the latest updates and pacthes of XP, but still am
    > thinking of
    > experimenting. Any advice , please!

    You can, but you shouldn't. You achieve no extra protection, you
    incur the extra overhead of running two firewalls, and you run
    the risk (probably small, but not zero) of conflicts between
    them.

    The Windows firewall monitors incoming traffic only. Almost any
    third-party firewall will also monitor outbound traffic, stopping
    rogue programs trying to call home, and is a better choice.

    See
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/firewall.mspx
    which includes the following:

    "Q. Should I use both the built-in firewall and a software
    firewall from a different company on my Windows XP computer?

    "A. No. Running multiple software firewalls is unnecessary for
    typical home computers, home networking, and small-business
    networking scenarios. Using two firewalls on the same connection
    could cause issues with connectivity to the Internet or other
    unexpected behavior. One firewall, whether it is the Windows XP
    Internet Connection Firewall or a different software firewall,
    can provide substantial protection for your computer."

    Also note that if you update your third-party firewall to a new
    version, the update routine will probably turn it off first. If
    the Windows firewall isn't running, you will temporarily be left
    with no running firewall, which is very dangerous. So turn on the
    Windows firewall temporarily before doing maintenance on your
    third-party firewall.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Zone Alarm should be sufficient by itself. It has the advantage of checking
    outgoing as well as incoming. Download the free version and see how you
    feel about it.

    "kallu" <kallu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > Can I use Firewall ZoneAlarm along with default XP Pro Firewall.? Will
    > there
    > be any conflict or stability issue in my system? I though have the latest
    > updates and pacthes of XP, but still am thinking of experimenting. Any
    > advice
    > , please!
    >
    > Thanks

    Hi all!

    Thanks for all your advice. Before I installed SP2, I had been using Sygate
    on advice of friends ( Was completly new then to thing as Computer). Now
    after a year or so, I felt using/trying something which everyone says is good
    would do me some good. LOL...but after hearing all you advices, I felted more
    comfused (Pardon) and would'nt like to take the plunge. May be I should still
    stick with the default service before being too advanturous.

    Thanks

    Hi all!

    Thanks for all your advice. Before I installed SP2, I had been using Sygate
    on advice of friends ( Was completly new then to thing as Computer). Now
    after a year or so, I felt using/trying something which everyone says is good
    would do me some good. LOL...but after hearing all you advices, I felted more
    comfused (Pardon) and would'nt like to take the plunge. May be I should still
    stick with the default service before being too advanturous.

    Thanks

    "kallu" <kallu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > Can I use Firewall ZoneAlarm along with default XP Pro Firewall.?
    > Will there be any conflict or stability issue in my system? I though
    > have the latest updates and pacthes of XP, but still am thinking of
    > experimenting. Any advice , please!
    >
    > Thanks

    No. Use one or the other.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    If you have service pack 2 installed you will not need zone alarm. I have
    windows xp home and I have sp2 and it works fine. Hope this helps. Bill

    kallu wrote:

    > Hi all!
    >
    > Thanks for all your advice. Before I installed SP2, I had been using Sygate
    > on advice of friends ( Was completly new then to thing as Computer). Now
    > after a year or so, I felt using/trying something which everyone says is good
    > would do me some good. LOL...but after hearing all you advices, I felted more
    > comfused (Pardon) and would'nt like to take the plunge. May be I should still
    > stick with the default service before being too advanturous.
    >
    > Thanks

    Sygate is one of the best free personal firewalls available. You would
    be wise to use it again or Zone Alarm, and disable the Windows firewall.
    bj

    Why?
    --
    johnf

    > If you have service pack 2 installed you will not need zone alarm. I
    > have windows xp home and I have sp2 and it works fine. Hope this helps.
    > Bill "kallu" <kallu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >> Can I use Firewall ZoneAlarm along with default XP Pro Firewall.? Will
    >> there
    >> be any conflict or stability issue in my system? I though have the
    >> latest updates and pacthes of XP, but still am thinking of
    >> experimenting. Any advice
    >> , please!
    >>
    >> Thanks

    Why not?

    "johnf" <john_f@bigREMOVEpond.net.au> wrote in message
    > Why?
    >
    >> If you have service pack 2 installed you will not need zone alarm. I
    >> have windows xp home and I have sp2 and it works fine. Hope this
    >> helps. Bill "kallu" <kallu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >> message news:2BDC9204-2C8B-4C3A-982D-EF59E32345AF@microsoft.com...
    >>> Hi,
    >>> Can I use Firewall ZoneAlarm along with default XP Pro Firewall.?
    >>> Will there
    >>> be any conflict or stability issue in my system? I though have the
    >>> latest updates and pacthes of XP, but still am thinking of
    >>> experimenting. Any advice
    >>> , please!
    >>>
    >>> Thanks

    Because AFAIK, SP2 doesn't block outgoing nasties, which Zone Alarm does.
    Correct me if I'm wrong.

    --

    johnf

    > Why not?
    >
    > "johnf" <john_f@bigREMOVEpond.net.au> wrote in message
    >> Why?
    >>
    >>> If you have service pack 2 installed you will not need zone alarm. I
    >>> have windows xp home and I have sp2 and it works fine. Hope this
    >>> helps. Bill "kallu" <kallu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >>> message news:2BDC9204-2C8B-4C3A-982D-EF59E32345AF@microsoft.com...

    You are correct, but if you keep your system clean and block incoming, you
    won't have any outgoing to block.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE/OE wrote:
    > You are correct, but if you keep your system clean and block incoming,
    > you won't have any outgoing to block.

    While that's technically true, Frank, I don't really think it's a
    particularly wise stance, security-wise, particularly since all too many
    of the people reading these newsgroups are because precisely because
    they don't know how to keep their computers secure.

    As you know, WinXP SP2's firewall does not protect the user from any
    Trojans or spyware that he/she (or someone else using his/her computer)
    might download and install inadvertently. It doesn't monitor out-going
    traffic at all, other than to check for IP-spoofing, much less block (or
    at even ask the user about) the bad or the questionable out-going
    signals. It assumes that any application the user has on his/her hard
    drive is there because he/she want it there, and therefore has his/her
    "permission" to access the Internet. Further, because the Windows
    Firewall is a "stateful" firewall, it will also assume that any incoming
    traffic that's a direct response to a Trojan's or spyware's out-going
    signal is also authorized. Also, remember that antivirus applications
    are primary re-active in nature; they won't be able to identify and/or
    block a virus, Trojan or worm until _after_ the malware has been
    discovered and new virus definition files distributed.

    Where computer security and privacy of personal data are concerned,
    I have to strongly recommend a belt-and-suspenders approach. ZoneAlarm,
    Kerio, or Sygate are all much better than WinXP's built-in firewall, and
    are much more easily configured, and there are free versions of each
    readily available. Even the commercially available Symantec's Norton
    Personal Firewall is superior by far, although it does take a heavier
    toll of system performance then do ZoneAlarm or Sygate. Having a
    secondary means of detecting the presence/activities of potential
    malware is simply common sense.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Sorry, I fail to agree. There are too many software programs waiting out
    there for the unwary with inbuilt dialers etc. - especially when you let
    your youmg kids loose to download anything they fancy, but which you
    personally would immediately reject.

    --

    johnf

    In news:OanQGKI$EHA.3336@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
    johnf <john_f@bigREMOVEpond.net.au> typed:

    > Sorry, I fail to agree. There are too many software programs
    > waiting
    > out there for the unwary with inbuilt dialers etc. - especially
    > when
    > you let your youmg kids loose to download anything they fancy,
    > but
    > which you personally would immediately reject.

    Although Frank is correct, I agree with you. Given that mistakes
    can be made (and not just by young kids), it's prudent to do
    both.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    >> You are correct, but if you keep your system clean and block
    >> incoming, you won't have any outgoing to block.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    >> Please respond in Newsgroup only. Do not send email
    >> http://www.fjsmjs.com
    >> Protect your PC
    >> http://www.microsoft.com./athome/security/protect/default.aspx
    >>
    >> "johnf" <john_f@bigREMOVEpond.net.au> wrote in message
    >>> Because AFAIK, SP2 doesn't block outgoing nasties, which Zone
    >>> Alarm
    >>> does. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Firewalls Microsoft Windows XP