Cannot copy and paste

Hi everyone,

I have windows 2000 operating with service pack 4 installed. I cannot copy
and paste files. I can copy and paste text from a document to my clipboard
but if i want to copy and paste an actual file then it does nothing. I am
unable to right click and drag a file to another folder and click on copy.
what the heck is wrong with my pc. I am about to throw my pc out the second
story window. Please me help.

Ankit Shah
4 answers Last reply
More about cannot copy paste

    Ankit Shah fumbled, fiddled and fingered:

    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I have windows 2000 operating with service pack 4 installed. I cannot
    > copy and paste files. I can copy and paste text from a document to my
    > clipboard but if i want to copy and paste an actual file then it does
    > nothing. I am unable to right click and drag a file to another folder
    > and click on copy. what the heck is wrong with my pc. I am about to
    > throw my pc out the second story window. Please me help.

    There are some worms and virus infections that cause similar symptons,
    are you 100% sure your PC has not got such an infection? Are you using a
    good up to date anti virus and spyware solution, and have all the latest
    Windows updates applied?

    ie for example

    http://support.f-secure.com/enu/home/ols.shtml

    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html

    --
    Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

    Thank you steve, my computer is virus free. I use F-secure virus scanner and
    it detect 11 viruses. I have manually deleted them. I still cannot copy and
    paste files. For example i have a text file and i hit <control c> to copy the
    file it won't copied it. Because when i tried to pasted it into another
    folder it did not paste. I even right clicked on the file and clicked copy
    and right clicked on the detination folder to paste it and it did not copy.
    The paste option was not greyed out. It just doesn't do anything. I am stuck
    up and don't know what to do. I can't find my windows 2000 cd that came with
    my shuttle pc.

    Ankit Shah

    "Steve Parry [MVP]" wrote:

    > Ankit Shah fumbled, fiddled and fingered:
    >
    > > Hi everyone,
    > >
    > > I have windows 2000 operating with service pack 4 installed. I cannot
    > > copy and paste files. I can copy and paste text from a document to my
    > > clipboard but if i want to copy and paste an actual file then it does
    > > nothing. I am unable to right click and drag a file to another folder
    > > and click on copy. what the heck is wrong with my pc. I am about to
    > > throw my pc out the second story window. Please me help.
    > >

    > There are some worms and virus infections that cause similar symptons,
    > are you 100% sure your PC has not got such an infection? Are you using a
    > good up to date anti virus and spyware solution, and have all the latest
    > Windows updates applied?
    >
    > ie for example
    >
    > http://support.f-secure.com/enu/home/ols.shtml
    >
    > http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html
    >
    > --
    > Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP
    >
    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

    I would check DCOM first. Make sure in your DCOM security there isn't any
    deny permission assigned to your account. If you don't know what the heck
    DCOM is let me know and I'll give you step-by-step instructions
    (nick.staff@comcast.net). I would normally just post them but I have to get
    to bed and wanted to at least point you in the right direction before I did
    (well i think its the right direction).

    hope this helps,

    Nick

    "Ankit Shah" wrote:

    > Thank you steve, my computer is virus free. I use F-secure virus scanner and
    > it detect 11 viruses. I have manually deleted them. I still cannot copy and
    > paste files. For example i have a text file and i hit <control c> to copy the
    > file it won't copied it. Because when i tried to pasted it into another
    > folder it did not paste. I even right clicked on the file and clicked copy
    > and right clicked on the detination folder to paste it and it did not copy.
    > The paste option was not greyed out. It just doesn't do anything. I am stuck
    > up and don't know what to do. I can't find my windows 2000 cd that came with
    > my shuttle pc.
    >
    > Ankit Shah
    >
    > "Steve Parry [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    > > Ankit Shah fumbled, fiddled and fingered:
    > >
    > > > Hi everyone,
    > > >
    > > > I have windows 2000 operating with service pack 4 installed. I cannot
    > > > copy and paste files. I can copy and paste text from a document to my
    > > > clipboard but if i want to copy and paste an actual file then it does
    > > > nothing. I am unable to right click and drag a file to another folder
    > > > and click on copy. what the heck is wrong with my pc. I am about to
    > > > throw my pc out the second story window. Please me help.
    > > >

    > > There are some worms and virus infections that cause similar symptons,
    > > are you 100% sure your PC has not got such an infection? Are you using a
    > > good up to date anti virus and spyware solution, and have all the latest
    > > Windows updates applied?
    > >
    > > ie for example
    > >
    > > http://support.f-secure.com/enu/home/ols.shtml
    > >
    > > http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html
    > >
    > > --
    > > Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP
    > >
    > > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > > http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

    Ankit-

    I got your email and wanted to look at a 2000 box at work today so I could
    give you a step-by-step but I totally forgot and now I'm home with only
    Windows xp and 2003 to guide me (and dcomcnfg is different in 2000).

    What I'll do is give you a rough walk through and then if you want more
    guidance I'll check one of the 2000 servers at work tomorrow or better yet
    maybe one of the MVP's wiuth a 2000 box will jump in and post directions.

    - Go to run and type dcomcnfg (thats about all thats similar between 2k and
    xp/2k3 ;) )
    - basically go to the properties of the root of the tree (it may be labeled
    COM or DCOM of dcom config I dont remember, but it's the top level of the
    tree I think).
    - one of the tabs will be a security tab with 6 buttons 3 labeled default
    and the others labeled something else ;)
    - click on all of them and make sure your account hasn't been denied any
    permissions.
    - I think that if there are no permissions listed then it uses a default
    set of something, but if even 1 account is assigned permission then the
    default isn't used and all the permissions mustbe specified. What thatwould
    mean is if nothing has been configured for launch security then that might be
    okay but if 1 user account has been given rights then that might be bad
    because then no other account has rights (so you need to add them - accounts
    like system, administrators, interactive (in some cases).
    - If you're not sure what permissions to give and you want to test to see
    if this is the cause then add the everyone group to all six security windows
    with allow launch full control, etc. then reboot (or log out log in) and see
    if thatworked.
    ***do not leave it ateveryone full everything because an attacker can take
    control of your machine and have it do anything they want in that state***

    Please let me know whatyou find and I hope this helps.

    Nick

    "Ankit Shah" wrote:

    > Thank you steve, my computer is virus free. I use F-secure virus scanner and
    > it detect 11 viruses. I have manually deleted them. I still cannot copy and
    > paste files. For example i have a text file and i hit <control c> to copy the
    > file it won't copied it. Because when i tried to pasted it into another
    > folder it did not paste. I even right clicked on the file and clicked copy
    > and right clicked on the detination folder to paste it and it did not copy.
    > The paste option was not greyed out. It just doesn't do anything. I am stuck
    > up and don't know what to do. I can't find my windows 2000 cd that came with
    > my shuttle pc.
    >
    > Ankit Shah
    >
    > "Steve Parry [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    > > Ankit Shah fumbled, fiddled and fingered:
    > >
    > > > Hi everyone,
    > > >
    > > > I have windows 2000 operating with service pack 4 installed. I cannot
    > > > copy and paste files. I can copy and paste text from a document to my
    > > > clipboard but if i want to copy and paste an actual file then it does
    > > > nothing. I am unable to right click and drag a file to another folder
    > > > and click on copy. what the heck is wrong with my pc. I am about to
    > > > throw my pc out the second story window. Please me help.
    > > >

    > > There are some worms and virus infections that cause similar symptons,
    > > are you 100% sure your PC has not got such an infection? Are you using a
    > > good up to date anti virus and spyware solution, and have all the latest
    > > Windows updates applied?
    > >
    > > ie for example
    > >
    > > http://support.f-secure.com/enu/home/ols.shtml
    > >
    > > http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html