Dr Watson: Explorer Access Violation

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
April 4, 2005 12:25:03 AM

Hi,

I am getting a similar error to those already posted. However, I don't
believe the solutions posted are the resolution for me. I can reproduce this
error on demand in several ways: 1) by right-clicking on shared folder or
disk and selecting "Sharing;" 2) by right-clicking on file or folder,
selecting copy, then pasting; 3) by right-clicking, selecting search,
searching for something, closing search window; and perhaps other ways.

At this time, I cannot change my shares using Windows Explorer.

Below is the Dr. Watson report from my last access violation. After the
report is created, the active desktop sometimes needs to be restored.

How can I fix this problem?

Application exception occurred:
App: explorer.exe (pid=1624)
When: 4/3/2005 @ 16:45:49.250
Exception number: c0000005 (access violation)

*----> System Information <----*
Computer Name: ASUS
User Name: Administrator
Number of Processors: 1
Processor Type: x86 Family 15 Model 1 Stepping 2
Windows 2000 Version: 5.0
Current Build: 2195
Service Pack: 4
Current Type: Uniprocessor Free
Registered Organization: New-Wave Accounting Services
Registered Owner: Frankie Adamo

*----> Task List <----*
0 Idle.exe
8 System.exe
188 smss.exe
216 csrss.exe
212 winlogon.exe
264 services.exe
276 lsass.exe
404 SCardSvr.exe
476 svchost.exe
504 ccSetMgr.exe
532 ccEvtMgr.exe
648 spoolsv.exe
676 CTSvcCDA.exe
692 svchost.exe
704 gearsec.exe
740 navapsvc.exe
792 NPROTECT.exe
860 nvsvc32.exe
884 SAVScan.exe
468 MSTask.exe
972 stisvc.exe
1056 symlcsvc.exe
1072 WinMgmt.exe
1104 MsPMSPSv.exe
556 ccApp.exe
1484 pptd40nt.exe
1124 UsrPrmpt.exe
1212 BigFix.exe
1204 SmartUI.exe
1092 PPLinks.exe
1624 Explorer.exe
1616 drwtsn32.exe
0 _Total.exe

(00400000 - 0043E000)
(77F80000 - 77FFD000)
(7C2D0000 - 7C332000)
(7C570000 - 7C628000)
(77D30000 - 77DA1000)
(77F40000 - 77F7E000)
(77E10000 - 77E75000)
(70A70000 - 70AD5000)
(78000000 - 78045000)
(71710000 - 71794000)
(732E0000 - 73305000)
(23000000 - 23056000)
(782F0000 - 78538000)
(77A50000 - 77B3F000)
(775A0000 - 77630000)
(779B0000 - 77A4B000)
(77840000 - 7787E000)
(770C0000 - 770E3000)
(00E30000 - 00F79000)
(71500000 - 715FD000)
(76620000 - 76630000)
(7C0F0000 - 7C151000)
(1A400000 - 1A47A000)
(77820000 - 77827000)
(759B0000 - 759B6000)
(70440000 - 704CF000)
(63580000 - 63830000)
(63000000 - 63096000)
(7C740000 - 7C7C7000)
(77430000 - 77440000)
(774E0000 - 77513000)
(774C0000 - 774D1000)
(75030000 - 75044000)
(75020000 - 75028000)
(77530000 - 77552000)
(77830000 - 7783E000)
(75AB0000 - 75AB5000)
(75170000 - 751BF000)
(7C340000 - 7C34F000)
(751C0000 - 751C6000)
(75150000 - 7515F000)
(77950000 - 7797A000)
(77980000 - 779A4000)
(75050000 - 75058000)
(7CA00000 - 7CA23000)
(76DF0000 - 76E01000)
(76FA0000 - 76FAF000)
(773E0000 - 773F5000)
(76F20000 - 76F97000)
(70340000 - 70381000)
(766D0000 - 766E8000)
(76740000 - 76748000)
(77880000 - 7790E000)
(766F0000 - 766F7000)
(77570000 - 775A0000)
(681A0000 - 681A7000)
(66740000 - 66747000)
(718C0000 - 71944000)
(75AC0000 - 75AE8000)
(75E60000 - 75E7A000)
(75160000 - 7516C000)
(75210000 - 75225000)
(751D0000 - 75208000)
(01AE0000 - 01CE4000)
(77560000 - 77568000)
(77400000 - 77408000)
(77410000 - 77423000)
(76290000 - 762CD000)
(6DE80000 - 6DEE4000)
(51980000 - 5198C000)
(71960000 - 71972000)
(10000000 - 1000B000)
(01F80000 - 0203B000)
(695E0000 - 69609000)
(76930000 - 7695B000)
(77920000 - 77943000)
(02AD0000 - 02AE8000)
(02AF0000 - 02B67000)
(7C000000 - 7C054000)
(658F0000 - 65A04000)
(70510000 - 7051A000)
(16200000 - 16206000)
(16250000 - 16267000)
(16300000 - 16310000)
(02FB0000 - 02FDB000)
(033E0000 - 033FA000)
(752B0000 - 752DD000)
(72210000 - 72217000)
(70F30000 - 70F9E000)
(68760000 - 6876B000)

<More Dump and Functions>

State Dump for Thread Id 0x620

eax=0008f148 ebx=03b9f3ac ecx=000b51f4 edx=000b51f4 esi=0008f124 edi=000b51f4
eip=0350a290 esp=03b9f298 ebp=03b9f2b4 iopl=0 nv up ei pl zr na po nc
cs=001b ss=0023 ds=0023 es=0023 fs=0038 gs=0000 efl=00000246

function: <nosymbols>
0350a286 ???
0350a287 ???
0350a288 ???
0350a289 ???
0350a28a ???
0350a28b ???
0350a28c ???
0350a28d ???
0350a28e ???
0350a28f ???
FAULT ->0350a290 ???
0350a291 ???
0350a292 ???
0350a293 ???
0350a294 ???
0350a295 ???
0350a296 ???
0350a297 ???
0350a298 ???
0350a299 ???
0350a29a ???
0350a29b ???
<more>
April 4, 2005 6:35:03 AM

My first guess is there's something bad in your right click context menu
that's causing this. Your right click context menu is of course the menu
that opens when you right click an object. Lots of programs add to this menu
(for example WinZip lets you right click a folder and select "add to
foldername.zip"). *BTW if I'm explaining things that are obvious it's only
because I don't know what level you're at - I'm not trying to talk down to
you*

If this is the problem there are a couple of possible ways to fix it. The
first and probably easiest is if you can remember any programs you installed
a few weeks before this appeared and then uninstall them (note they might not
uninstall cleanly and could still affect you adversely).

The second method could be very easy or very difficult depending on how
comfortable you are with the Windows Registry. What's tough is it could be
anything that's doing this so I can't tell you "just remove this dword"
because there are an unknown number of entries that could cause this. What
it's really going to take (if this is the cause) is a fair amount of
intuition and familiarity with the Registry (unless of course you're just
feelin lucky). So what I can do is tell you the keys in the registry to
check (key info was obtained at
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/context_folders.htm) with the recommendation that
if you're at all unsure about what this stuff does that you post a follow up
or do some real research before making any changes. Keep in mind changes to
the registry are instant (meaning there's no 'save') and that the wrong
change can make a lot of things go wrong (blue screens, can't boot into OS,
painful boils all over your face (?)). I'm not trying to scare you from
messing with it - I think experimenting with the registry is invaluable and
essential, just in the begining don't do it on a machine you wouldn't want to
reinstall. Here are the Keys to check:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\Shell\]
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Shell\]
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shell\]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers\]
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers\]
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\]

Conversely, if you export these keys from the registry and past the text
into a post I may be able to get an idea which one's causing the problem (by
'idea' I mean take an educated guess which is what most of this really is).

You can always email me direct at nick.staff@comcast.net

Hope this helps.

"Frankie" wrote:

> [...]
> (00E30000 - 00F79000)
> (71500000 - 715FD000)
> (76620000 - 76630000)
> (7C0F0000 - 7C151000)
> (1A400000 - 1A47A000)
> (77820000 - 77827000)
> (759B0000 - 759B6000)
> (70440000 - 704CF000)
> (63580000 - 63830000)
> (63000000 - 63096000)
> (7C740000 - 7C7C7000)
> (77430000 - 77440000)
> (774E0000 - 77513000)
> (774C0000 - 774D1000)
> (75030000 - 75044000)
> (75020000 - 75028000)
> (77530000 - 77552000)
> (77830000 - 7783E000)
> (75AB0000 - 75AB5000)
> (75170000 - 751BF000)
> (7C340000 - 7C34F000)
> (751C0000 - 751C6000)
> (75150000 - 7515F000)
> (77950000 - 7797A000)
> (77980000 - 779A4000)
> (75050000 - 75058000)
> (7CA00000 - 7CA23000)
> (76DF0000 - 76E01000)
> (76FA0000 - 76FAF000)
> (773E0000 - 773F5000)
> (76F20000 - 76F97000)
> (70340000 - 70381000)
> (766D0000 - 766E8000)
> (76740000 - 76748000)
> (77880000 - 7790E000)
> (766F0000 - 766F7000)
> (77570000 - 775A0000)
> (681A0000 - 681A7000)
> (66740000 - 66747000)
> (718C0000 - 71944000)
> (75AC0000 - 75AE8000)
> (75E60000 - 75E7A000)
> (75160000 - 7516C000)
> (75210000 - 75225000)
> (751D0000 - 75208000)
> (01AE0000 - 01CE4000)
> (77560000 - 77568000)
> (77400000 - 77408000)
> (77410000 - 77423000)
> (76290000 - 762CD000)
> (6DE80000 - 6DEE4000)
> (51980000 - 5198C000)
> (71960000 - 71972000)
> (10000000 - 1000B000)
> (01F80000 - 0203B000)
> (695E0000 - 69609000)
> (76930000 - 7695B000)
> (77920000 - 77943000)
> (02AD0000 - 02AE8000)
> (02AF0000 - 02B67000)
> (7C000000 - 7C054000)
> (658F0000 - 65A04000)
> (70510000 - 7051A000)
> (16200000 - 16206000)
> (16250000 - 16267000)
> (16300000 - 16310000)
> (02FB0000 - 02FDB000)
> (033E0000 - 033FA000)
> (752B0000 - 752DD000)
> (72210000 - 72217000)
> (70F30000 - 70F9E000)
> (68760000 - 6876B000)
>
> <More Dump and Functions>
>
> State Dump for Thread Id 0x620
>
> eax=0008f148 ebx=03b9f3ac ecx=000b51f4 edx=000b51f4 esi=0008f124 edi=000b51f4
> eip=0350a290 esp=03b9f298 ebp=03b9f2b4 iopl=0 nv up ei pl zr na po nc
> cs=001b ss=0023 ds=0023 es=0023 fs=0038 gs=0000 efl=00000246

April 5, 2005 12:13:01 AM

Frankie-

Though I think it applies only to files, check out this MS KB just in case:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=824136

If that doesn't apply then befvore I suggest you hack away at the registry
you may want to go to the command line and type sfc /scannow (you will be
asked to insert your windows disk most likely). I doubt by the way this will
solve things but it often does so I'd say it's worth a shot.

I looked at the registry exports you sent me and can't draw any conclusions
from what I saw, but since you've already exported the keys, you could always
try deleting an entry, testing for the error, and if the error's still
present re-importing the key by double clicking on the exported .reg file
from earlier (hmm, did I make sense there?). **very important though not to
delete just any of these keys - some are just plain darn important so here's
the ones I would say your safest to try (by safest I mean worst case scenario
should be that you'll lose your right click/spysweeper or right click/encrypt
ability). Of course like with anything done on a computer, please understand
that even though I think these changes are safe to try, there could be
something I don't see and your computer could end up not bootable. If you
want to try anyway then here are the keys I'd delete in the order I'd delete
them (order is based on nothing more than my predjudice regarding the
stability of certain programs):

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\SpySweeper]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Symantec.Norton.Antivirus.IEContextMenu]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\BriefcaseMenu]

If you try that and still no good let me know and I'll think some more....

"Frankie" wrote:

> [...]
> (00E30000 - 00F79000)
> (71500000 - 715FD000)
> (76620000 - 76630000)
> (7C0F0000 - 7C151000)
> (1A400000 - 1A47A000)
> (77820000 - 77827000)
> (759B0000 - 759B6000)
> (70440000 - 704CF000)
> (63580000 - 63830000)
> (63000000 - 63096000)
> (7C740000 - 7C7C7000)
> (77430000 - 77440000)
> (774E0000 - 77513000)
> (774C0000 - 774D1000)
> (75030000 - 75044000)
> (75020000 - 75028000)
> (77530000 - 77552000)
> (77830000 - 7783E000)
> (75AB0000 - 75AB5000)
> (75170000 - 751BF000)
> (7C340000 - 7C34F000)
> (751C0000 - 751C6000)
> (75150000 - 7515F000)
> (77950000 - 7797A000)
> (77980000 - 779A4000)
> (75050000 - 75058000)
> (7CA00000 - 7CA23000)
> (76DF0000 - 76E01000)
> (76FA0000 - 76FAF000)
> (773E0000 - 773F5000)
> (76F20000 - 76F97000)
> (70340000 - 70381000)
> (766D0000 - 766E8000)
> (76740000 - 76748000)
> (77880000 - 7790E000)
> (766F0000 - 766F7000)
> (77570000 - 775A0000)
> (681A0000 - 681A7000)
> (66740000 - 66747000)
> (718C0000 - 71944000)
> (75AC0000 - 75AE8000)
> (75E60000 - 75E7A000)
> (75160000 - 7516C000)
> (75210000 - 75225000)
> (751D0000 - 75208000)
> (01AE0000 - 01CE4000)
> (77560000 - 77568000)
> (77400000 - 77408000)
> (77410000 - 77423000)
> (76290000 - 762CD000)
> (6DE80000 - 6DEE4000)
> (51980000 - 5198C000)
> (71960000 - 71972000)
> (10000000 - 1000B000)
> (01F80000 - 0203B000)
> (695E0000 - 69609000)
> (76930000 - 7695B000)
> (77920000 - 77943000)
> (02AD0000 - 02AE8000)
> (02AF0000 - 02B67000)
> (7C000000 - 7C054000)
> (658F0000 - 65A04000)
> (70510000 - 7051A000)
> (16200000 - 16206000)
> (16250000 - 16267000)
> (16300000 - 16310000)
> (02FB0000 - 02FDB000)
> (033E0000 - 033FA000)
> (752B0000 - 752DD000)
> (72210000 - 72217000)
> (70F30000 - 70F9E000)
> (68760000 - 6876B000)
>
> <More Dump and Functions>
>
> State Dump for Thread Id 0x620
>
> eax=0008f148 ebx=03b9f3ac ecx=000b51f4 edx=000b51f4 esi=0008f124 edi=000b51f4
> eip=0350a290 esp=03b9f298 ebp=03b9f2b4 iopl=0 nv up ei pl zr na po nc
> cs=001b ss=0023 ds=0023 es=0023 fs=0038 gs=0000 efl=00000246

Related resources
April 10, 2005 1:49:29 AM

Nick,

I followed one of your previous suggestions, and uninstalled SpySweeper and
an archive program known as WinRAR. The problem seems to have ended. The only
way to know is to continue using the computer until the problem occurs again,
so far it has not happened since I uninstalled those two programs. I believe
the problem was the WinRAR program because I have the SpySweeper program
installed on another Win 2K machine without issue, though it could be related
to a SpySweeper updates.

Regarding the hotfix you referenced in your e-mail below, I do not have it
installed, but do I need it? I am running Win 2K SP 4. From my understanding
of the article, SP 4 includes the fix. Is my understanding of the article
correct?

I will post again, if the problem crops up in the future.

In an unrelated issue (probably), I suddenly cannot access my Win 2K machine
(the subject machine) using a Win XP notebook over my LAN, though I can
access the XP machine from the Win 2K machine. The message I get is a server
"not accessible" message telling me that I don't have permission to use the
network resource. I haven't changed any of the permissions on the Win 2K
machine and other computers access it fine. The other odd thing is that I
have an Offline Folder on the XP machine, and it can synchronize the files
from the Win 2K system without any access issue. If you have any suggestions,
I would very much appreciate them.

Thanks again for your help,
Frankie

"Nick" wrote:

> [...]
> > (00E30000 - 00F79000)
> > (71500000 - 715FD000)
> > (76620000 - 76630000)
> > (7C0F0000 - 7C151000)
> > (1A400000 - 1A47A000)
> > (77820000 - 77827000)
> > (759B0000 - 759B6000)
> > (70440000 - 704CF000)
> > (63580000 - 63830000)
> > (63000000 - 63096000)
> > (7C740000 - 7C7C7000)
> > (77430000 - 77440000)
> > (774E0000 - 77513000)
> > (774C0000 - 774D1000)
> > (75030000 - 75044000)
> > (75020000 - 75028000)
> > (77530000 - 77552000)
> > (77830000 - 7783E000)
> > (75AB0000 - 75AB5000)
> > (75170000 - 751BF000)
> > (7C340000 - 7C34F000)
> > (751C0000 - 751C6000)
> > (75150000 - 7515F000)
> > (77950000 - 7797A000)
> > (77980000 - 779A4000)
> > (75050000 - 75058000)
> > (7CA00000 - 7CA23000)
> > (76DF0000 - 76E01000)
> > (76FA0000 - 76FAF000)
> > (773E0000 - 773F5000)
> > (76F20000 - 76F97000)
> > (70340000 - 70381000)
> > (766D0000 - 766E8000)
> > (76740000 - 76748000)
> > (77880000 - 7790E000)
> > (766F0000 - 766F7000)
> > (77570000 - 775A0000)
> > (681A0000 - 681A7000)
> > (66740000 - 66747000)
> > (718C0000 - 71944000)
> > (75AC0000 - 75AE8000)
> > (75E60000 - 75E7A000)
> > (75160000 - 7516C000)
> > (75210000 - 75225000)
> > (751D0000 - 75208000)
> > (01AE0000 - 01CE4000)
> > (77560000 - 77568000)
> > (77400000 - 77408000)
> > (77410000 - 77423000)
> > (76290000 - 762CD000)
> > (6DE80000 - 6DEE4000)
> > (51980000 - 5198C000)
> > (71960000 - 71972000)
> > (10000000 - 1000B000)
> > (01F80000 - 0203B000)
> > (695E0000 - 69609000)
> > (76930000 - 7695B000)
> > (77920000 - 77943000)
> > (02AD0000 - 02AE8000)
> > (02AF0000 - 02B67000)
> > (7C000000 - 7C054000)
> > (658F0000 - 65A04000)
> > (70510000 - 7051A000)
> > (16200000 - 16206000)
> > (16250000 - 16267000)
> > (16300000 - 16310000)
> > (02FB0000 - 02FDB000)
> > (033E0000 - 033FA000)
> > (752B0000 - 752DD000)
> > (72210000 - 72217000)
> > (70F30000 - 70F9E000)
> > (68760000 - 6876B000)
> >
> > <More Dump and Functions>
> >
> > State Dump for Thread Id 0x620
> >
> > eax=0008f148 ebx=03b9f3ac ecx=000b51f4 edx=000b51f4 esi=0008f124 edi=000b51f4
> > eip=0350a290 esp=03b9f298 ebp=03b9f2b4 iopl=0 nv up ei pl zr na po nc
> > cs=001b ss=0023 ds=0023 es=0023 fs=0038 gs=0000 efl=00000246

Anonymous
April 10, 2005 3:05:05 AM

I don't know but I'd assume you don't need to worry about that hotfix (I
wouldn't worry if it were me, both because it was more something to try than
something I was sure you needed and because if it were critical you'd have
gotten it with SP4).

As I mentioned in the email (I'm only repeating it here for anyone else with
a similar problem), WinRar has been on every computer I've had since Windows
95 and I never experienced your problem. My gut tells me it was SpySweeper
even though I have never used the program and have nothing other than my bias
to base my opinion on.

Your file sharing issue - clarification - the folder rgar's giving you the
access denied message is the same folder that's synching for offline files?
If not, then right click the folder you can't access and go to sharing and
make sure your account has sufficient permissions. Also go to the properties
of the folder and the security tab and make sure your ntfs permissions are
set correctly as well. Also, do you get prompyed for a username password or
just recieve the deny message?

Thanks,

Nick

!