Dr Watson: Explorer Access Violation

Hi,

I am getting a similar error to those already posted. However, I don't
believe the solutions posted are the resolution for me. I can reproduce this
error on demand in several ways: 1) by right-clicking on shared folder or
disk and selecting "Sharing;" 2) by right-clicking on file or folder,
selecting copy, then pasting; 3) by right-clicking, selecting search,
searching for something, closing search window; and perhaps other ways.

At this time, I cannot change my shares using Windows Explorer.

Below is the Dr. Watson report from my last access violation. After the
report is created, the active desktop sometimes needs to be restored.

How can I fix this problem?

Application exception occurred:
App: explorer.exe (pid=1624)
When: 4/3/2005 @ 16:45:49.250
Exception number: c0000005 (access violation)

*----> System Information <----*
Computer Name: ASUS
User Name: Administrator
Number of Processors: 1
Processor Type: x86 Family 15 Model 1 Stepping 2
Windows 2000 Version: 5.0
Current Build: 2195
Service Pack: 4
Current Type: Uniprocessor Free
Registered Organization: New-Wave Accounting Services
Registered Owner: Frankie Adamo

*----> Task List <----*
0 Idle.exe
8 System.exe
188 smss.exe
216 csrss.exe
212 winlogon.exe
264 services.exe
276 lsass.exe
404 SCardSvr.exe
476 svchost.exe
504 ccSetMgr.exe
532 ccEvtMgr.exe
648 spoolsv.exe
676 CTSvcCDA.exe
692 svchost.exe
704 gearsec.exe
740 navapsvc.exe
792 NPROTECT.exe
860 nvsvc32.exe
884 SAVScan.exe
468 MSTask.exe
972 stisvc.exe
1056 symlcsvc.exe
1072 WinMgmt.exe
1104 MsPMSPSv.exe
556 ccApp.exe
1484 pptd40nt.exe
1124 UsrPrmpt.exe
1212 BigFix.exe
1204 SmartUI.exe
1092 PPLinks.exe
1624 Explorer.exe
1616 drwtsn32.exe
0 _Total.exe

(00400000 - 0043E000)
(77F80000 - 77FFD000)
(7C2D0000 - 7C332000)
(7C570000 - 7C628000)
(77D30000 - 77DA1000)
(77F40000 - 77F7E000)
(77E10000 - 77E75000)
(70A70000 - 70AD5000)
(78000000 - 78045000)
(71710000 - 71794000)
(732E0000 - 73305000)
(23000000 - 23056000)
(782F0000 - 78538000)
(77A50000 - 77B3F000)
(775A0000 - 77630000)
(779B0000 - 77A4B000)
(77840000 - 7787E000)
(770C0000 - 770E3000)
(00E30000 - 00F79000)
(71500000 - 715FD000)
(76620000 - 76630000)
(7C0F0000 - 7C151000)
(1A400000 - 1A47A000)
(77820000 - 77827000)
(759B0000 - 759B6000)
(70440000 - 704CF000)
(63580000 - 63830000)
(63000000 - 63096000)
(7C740000 - 7C7C7000)
(77430000 - 77440000)
(774E0000 - 77513000)
(774C0000 - 774D1000)
(75030000 - 75044000)
(75020000 - 75028000)
(77530000 - 77552000)
(77830000 - 7783E000)
(75AB0000 - 75AB5000)
(75170000 - 751BF000)
(7C340000 - 7C34F000)
(751C0000 - 751C6000)
(75150000 - 7515F000)
(77950000 - 7797A000)
(77980000 - 779A4000)
(75050000 - 75058000)
(7CA00000 - 7CA23000)
(76DF0000 - 76E01000)
(76FA0000 - 76FAF000)
(773E0000 - 773F5000)
(76F20000 - 76F97000)
(70340000 - 70381000)
(766D0000 - 766E8000)
(76740000 - 76748000)
(77880000 - 7790E000)
(766F0000 - 766F7000)
(77570000 - 775A0000)
(681A0000 - 681A7000)
(66740000 - 66747000)
(718C0000 - 71944000)
(75AC0000 - 75AE8000)
(75E60000 - 75E7A000)
(75160000 - 7516C000)
(75210000 - 75225000)
(751D0000 - 75208000)
(01AE0000 - 01CE4000)
(77560000 - 77568000)
(77400000 - 77408000)
(77410000 - 77423000)
(76290000 - 762CD000)
(6DE80000 - 6DEE4000)
(51980000 - 5198C000)
(71960000 - 71972000)
(10000000 - 1000B000)
(01F80000 - 0203B000)
(695E0000 - 69609000)
(76930000 - 7695B000)
(77920000 - 77943000)
(02AD0000 - 02AE8000)
(02AF0000 - 02B67000)
(7C000000 - 7C054000)
(658F0000 - 65A04000)
(70510000 - 7051A000)
(16200000 - 16206000)
(16250000 - 16267000)
(16300000 - 16310000)
(02FB0000 - 02FDB000)
(033E0000 - 033FA000)
(752B0000 - 752DD000)
(72210000 - 72217000)
(70F30000 - 70F9E000)
(68760000 - 6876B000)

<More Dump and Functions>

State Dump for Thread Id 0x620

eax=0008f148 ebx=03b9f3ac ecx=000b51f4 edx=000b51f4 esi=0008f124 edi=000b51f4
eip=0350a290 esp=03b9f298 ebp=03b9f2b4 iopl=0 nv up ei pl zr na po nc
cs=001b ss=0023 ds=0023 es=0023 fs=0038 gs=0000 efl=00000246

function: <nosymbols>
0350a286 ???
0350a287 ???
0350a288 ???
0350a289 ???
0350a28a ???
0350a28b ???
0350a28c ???
0350a28d ???
0350a28e ???
0350a28f ???
FAULT ->0350a290 ???
0350a291 ???
0350a292 ???
0350a293 ???
0350a294 ???
0350a295 ???
0350a296 ???
0350a297 ???
0350a298 ???
0350a299 ???
0350a29a ???
0350a29b ???
<more>
4 answers Last reply
More about watson explorer access violation

    My first guess is there's something bad in your right click context menu
    that's causing this. Your right click context menu is of course the menu
    that opens when you right click an object. Lots of programs add to this menu
    (for example WinZip lets you right click a folder and select "add to
    foldername.zip"). *BTW if I'm explaining things that are obvious it's only
    because I don't know what level you're at - I'm not trying to talk down to
    you*

    If this is the problem there are a couple of possible ways to fix it. The
    first and probably easiest is if you can remember any programs you installed
    a few weeks before this appeared and then uninstall them (note they might not
    uninstall cleanly and could still affect you adversely).

    The second method could be very easy or very difficult depending on how
    comfortable you are with the Windows Registry. What's tough is it could be
    anything that's doing this so I can't tell you "just remove this dword"
    because there are an unknown number of entries that could cause this. What
    it's really going to take (if this is the cause) is a fair amount of
    intuition and familiarity with the Registry (unless of course you're just
    feelin lucky). So what I can do is tell you the keys in the registry to
    check (key info was obtained at
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/context_folders.htm) with the recommendation that
    if you're at all unsure about what this stuff does that you post a follow up
    or do some real research before making any changes. Keep in mind changes to
    the registry are instant (meaning there's no 'save') and that the wrong
    change can make a lot of things go wrong (blue screens, can't boot into OS,
    painful boils all over your face (?)). I'm not trying to scare you from
    messing with it - I think experimenting with the registry is invaluable and
    essential, just in the begining don't do it on a machine you wouldn't want to
    reinstall. Here are the Keys to check:

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\Shell\]
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Shell\]
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shell\]

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers\]
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers\]
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\]

    Conversely, if you export these keys from the registry and past the text
    into a post I may be able to get an idea which one's causing the problem (by
    'idea' I mean take an educated guess which is what most of this really is).

    You can always email me direct at nick.staff@comcast.net

    Hope this helps.

    "Frankie" wrote:

> [...]
    > (00E30000 - 00F79000)
    > (71500000 - 715FD000)
    > (76620000 - 76630000)
    > (7C0F0000 - 7C151000)
    > (1A400000 - 1A47A000)
    > (77820000 - 77827000)
    > (759B0000 - 759B6000)
    > (70440000 - 704CF000)
    > (63580000 - 63830000)
    > (63000000 - 63096000)
    > (7C740000 - 7C7C7000)
    > (77430000 - 77440000)
    > (774E0000 - 77513000)
    > (774C0000 - 774D1000)
    > (75030000 - 75044000)
    > (75020000 - 75028000)
    > (77530000 - 77552000)
    > (77830000 - 7783E000)
    > (75AB0000 - 75AB5000)
    > (75170000 - 751BF000)
    > (7C340000 - 7C34F000)
    > (751C0000 - 751C6000)
    > (75150000 - 7515F000)
    > (77950000 - 7797A000)
    > (77980000 - 779A4000)
    > (75050000 - 75058000)
    > (7CA00000 - 7CA23000)
    > (76DF0000 - 76E01000)
    > (76FA0000 - 76FAF000)
    > (773E0000 - 773F5000)
    > (76F20000 - 76F97000)
    > (70340000 - 70381000)
    > (766D0000 - 766E8000)
    > (76740000 - 76748000)
    > (77880000 - 7790E000)
    > (766F0000 - 766F7000)
    > (77570000 - 775A0000)
    > (681A0000 - 681A7000)
    > (66740000 - 66747000)
    > (718C0000 - 71944000)
    > (75AC0000 - 75AE8000)
    > (75E60000 - 75E7A000)
    > (75160000 - 7516C000)
    > (75210000 - 75225000)
    > (751D0000 - 75208000)
    > (01AE0000 - 01CE4000)
    > (77560000 - 77568000)
    > (77400000 - 77408000)
    > (77410000 - 77423000)
    > (76290000 - 762CD000)
    > (6DE80000 - 6DEE4000)
    > (51980000 - 5198C000)
    > (71960000 - 71972000)
    > (10000000 - 1000B000)
    > (01F80000 - 0203B000)
    > (695E0000 - 69609000)
    > (76930000 - 7695B000)
    > (77920000 - 77943000)
    > (02AD0000 - 02AE8000)
    > (02AF0000 - 02B67000)
    > (7C000000 - 7C054000)
    > (658F0000 - 65A04000)
    > (70510000 - 7051A000)
    > (16200000 - 16206000)
    > (16250000 - 16267000)
    > (16300000 - 16310000)
    > (02FB0000 - 02FDB000)
    > (033E0000 - 033FA000)
    > (752B0000 - 752DD000)
    > (72210000 - 72217000)
    > (70F30000 - 70F9E000)
    > (68760000 - 6876B000)
    >
    > <More Dump and Functions>
    >
    > State Dump for Thread Id 0x620
    >
    > eax=0008f148 ebx=03b9f3ac ecx=000b51f4 edx=000b51f4 esi=0008f124 edi=000b51f4
    > eip=0350a290 esp=03b9f298 ebp=03b9f2b4 iopl=0 nv up ei pl zr na po nc
    > cs=001b ss=0023 ds=0023 es=0023 fs=0038 gs=0000 efl=00000246

    Frankie-

    Though I think it applies only to files, check out this MS KB just in case:

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=824136

    If that doesn't apply then befvore I suggest you hack away at the registry
    you may want to go to the command line and type sfc /scannow (you will be
    asked to insert your windows disk most likely). I doubt by the way this will
    solve things but it often does so I'd say it's worth a shot.

    I looked at the registry exports you sent me and can't draw any conclusions
    from what I saw, but since you've already exported the keys, you could always
    try deleting an entry, testing for the error, and if the error's still
    present re-importing the key by double clicking on the exported .reg file
    from earlier (hmm, did I make sense there?). **very important though not to
    delete just any of these keys - some are just plain darn important so here's
    the ones I would say your safest to try (by safest I mean worst case scenario
    should be that you'll lose your right click/spysweeper or right click/encrypt
    ability). Of course like with anything done on a computer, please understand
    that even though I think these changes are safe to try, there could be
    something I don't see and your computer could end up not bootable. If you
    want to try anyway then here are the keys I'd delete in the order I'd delete
    them (order is based on nothing more than my predjudice regarding the
    stability of certain programs):

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\SpySweeper]

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Symantec.Norton.Antivirus.IEContextMenu]

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\BriefcaseMenu]

    If you try that and still no good let me know and I'll think some more....

    "Frankie" wrote:

> [...]
    > (00E30000 - 00F79000)
    > (71500000 - 715FD000)
    > (76620000 - 76630000)
    > (7C0F0000 - 7C151000)
    > (1A400000 - 1A47A000)
    > (77820000 - 77827000)
    > (759B0000 - 759B6000)
    > (70440000 - 704CF000)
    > (63580000 - 63830000)
    > (63000000 - 63096000)
    > (7C740000 - 7C7C7000)
    > (77430000 - 77440000)
    > (774E0000 - 77513000)
    > (774C0000 - 774D1000)
    > (75030000 - 75044000)
    > (75020000 - 75028000)
    > (77530000 - 77552000)
    > (77830000 - 7783E000)
    > (75AB0000 - 75AB5000)
    > (75170000 - 751BF000)
    > (7C340000 - 7C34F000)
    > (751C0000 - 751C6000)
    > (75150000 - 7515F000)
    > (77950000 - 7797A000)
    > (77980000 - 779A4000)
    > (75050000 - 75058000)
    > (7CA00000 - 7CA23000)
    > (76DF0000 - 76E01000)
    > (76FA0000 - 76FAF000)
    > (773E0000 - 773F5000)
    > (76F20000 - 76F97000)
    > (70340000 - 70381000)
    > (766D0000 - 766E8000)
    > (76740000 - 76748000)
    > (77880000 - 7790E000)
    > (766F0000 - 766F7000)
    > (77570000 - 775A0000)
    > (681A0000 - 681A7000)
    > (66740000 - 66747000)
    > (718C0000 - 71944000)
    > (75AC0000 - 75AE8000)
    > (75E60000 - 75E7A000)
    > (75160000 - 7516C000)
    > (75210000 - 75225000)
    > (751D0000 - 75208000)
    > (01AE0000 - 01CE4000)
    > (77560000 - 77568000)
    > (77400000 - 77408000)
    > (77410000 - 77423000)
    > (76290000 - 762CD000)
    > (6DE80000 - 6DEE4000)
    > (51980000 - 5198C000)
    > (71960000 - 71972000)
    > (10000000 - 1000B000)
    > (01F80000 - 0203B000)
    > (695E0000 - 69609000)
    > (76930000 - 7695B000)
    > (77920000 - 77943000)
    > (02AD0000 - 02AE8000)
    > (02AF0000 - 02B67000)
    > (7C000000 - 7C054000)
    > (658F0000 - 65A04000)
    > (70510000 - 7051A000)
    > (16200000 - 16206000)
    > (16250000 - 16267000)
    > (16300000 - 16310000)
    > (02FB0000 - 02FDB000)
    > (033E0000 - 033FA000)
    > (752B0000 - 752DD000)
    > (72210000 - 72217000)
    > (70F30000 - 70F9E000)
    > (68760000 - 6876B000)
    >
    > <More Dump and Functions>
    >
    > State Dump for Thread Id 0x620
    >
    > eax=0008f148 ebx=03b9f3ac ecx=000b51f4 edx=000b51f4 esi=0008f124 edi=000b51f4
    > eip=0350a290 esp=03b9f298 ebp=03b9f2b4 iopl=0 nv up ei pl zr na po nc
    > cs=001b ss=0023 ds=0023 es=0023 fs=0038 gs=0000 efl=00000246

    Nick,

    I followed one of your previous suggestions, and uninstalled SpySweeper and
    an archive program known as WinRAR. The problem seems to have ended. The only
    way to know is to continue using the computer until the problem occurs again,
    so far it has not happened since I uninstalled those two programs. I believe
    the problem was the WinRAR program because I have the SpySweeper program
    installed on another Win 2K machine without issue, though it could be related
    to a SpySweeper updates.

    Regarding the hotfix you referenced in your e-mail below, I do not have it
    installed, but do I need it? I am running Win 2K SP 4. From my understanding
    of the article, SP 4 includes the fix. Is my understanding of the article
    correct?

    I will post again, if the problem crops up in the future.

    In an unrelated issue (probably), I suddenly cannot access my Win 2K machine
    (the subject machine) using a Win XP notebook over my LAN, though I can
    access the XP machine from the Win 2K machine. The message I get is a server
    "not accessible" message telling me that I don't have permission to use the
    network resource. I haven't changed any of the permissions on the Win 2K
    machine and other computers access it fine. The other odd thing is that I
    have an Offline Folder on the XP machine, and it can synchronize the files
    from the Win 2K system without any access issue. If you have any suggestions,
    I would very much appreciate them.

    Thanks again for your help,
    Frankie

    "Nick" wrote:

> [...]
    > > (00E30000 - 00F79000)
    > > (71500000 - 715FD000)
    > > (76620000 - 76630000)
    > > (7C0F0000 - 7C151000)
    > > (1A400000 - 1A47A000)
    > > (77820000 - 77827000)
    > > (759B0000 - 759B6000)
    > > (70440000 - 704CF000)
    > > (63580000 - 63830000)
    > > (63000000 - 63096000)
    > > (7C740000 - 7C7C7000)
    > > (77430000 - 77440000)
    > > (774E0000 - 77513000)
    > > (774C0000 - 774D1000)
    > > (75030000 - 75044000)
    > > (75020000 - 75028000)
    > > (77530000 - 77552000)
    > > (77830000 - 7783E000)
    > > (75AB0000 - 75AB5000)
    > > (75170000 - 751BF000)
    > > (7C340000 - 7C34F000)
    > > (751C0000 - 751C6000)
    > > (75150000 - 7515F000)
    > > (77950000 - 7797A000)
    > > (77980000 - 779A4000)
    > > (75050000 - 75058000)
    > > (7CA00000 - 7CA23000)
    > > (76DF0000 - 76E01000)
    > > (76FA0000 - 76FAF000)
    > > (773E0000 - 773F5000)
    > > (76F20000 - 76F97000)
    > > (70340000 - 70381000)
    > > (766D0000 - 766E8000)
    > > (76740000 - 76748000)
    > > (77880000 - 7790E000)
    > > (766F0000 - 766F7000)
    > > (77570000 - 775A0000)
    > > (681A0000 - 681A7000)
    > > (66740000 - 66747000)
    > > (718C0000 - 71944000)
    > > (75AC0000 - 75AE8000)
    > > (75E60000 - 75E7A000)
    > > (75160000 - 7516C000)
    > > (75210000 - 75225000)
    > > (751D0000 - 75208000)
    > > (01AE0000 - 01CE4000)
    > > (77560000 - 77568000)
    > > (77400000 - 77408000)
    > > (77410000 - 77423000)
    > > (76290000 - 762CD000)
    > > (6DE80000 - 6DEE4000)
    > > (51980000 - 5198C000)
    > > (71960000 - 71972000)
    > > (10000000 - 1000B000)
    > > (01F80000 - 0203B000)
    > > (695E0000 - 69609000)
    > > (76930000 - 7695B000)
    > > (77920000 - 77943000)
    > > (02AD0000 - 02AE8000)
    > > (02AF0000 - 02B67000)
    > > (7C000000 - 7C054000)
    > > (658F0000 - 65A04000)
    > > (70510000 - 7051A000)
    > > (16200000 - 16206000)
    > > (16250000 - 16267000)
    > > (16300000 - 16310000)
    > > (02FB0000 - 02FDB000)
    > > (033E0000 - 033FA000)
    > > (752B0000 - 752DD000)
    > > (72210000 - 72217000)
    > > (70F30000 - 70F9E000)
    > > (68760000 - 6876B000)
    > >
    > > <More Dump and Functions>
    > >
    > > State Dump for Thread Id 0x620
    > >
    > > eax=0008f148 ebx=03b9f3ac ecx=000b51f4 edx=000b51f4 esi=0008f124 edi=000b51f4
    > > eip=0350a290 esp=03b9f298 ebp=03b9f2b4 iopl=0 nv up ei pl zr na po nc
    > > cs=001b ss=0023 ds=0023 es=0023 fs=0038 gs=0000 efl=00000246

    I don't know but I'd assume you don't need to worry about that hotfix (I
    wouldn't worry if it were me, both because it was more something to try than
    something I was sure you needed and because if it were critical you'd have
    gotten it with SP4).

    As I mentioned in the email (I'm only repeating it here for anyone else with
    a similar problem), WinRar has been on every computer I've had since Windows
    95 and I never experienced your problem. My gut tells me it was SpySweeper
    even though I have never used the program and have nothing other than my bias
    to base my opinion on.

    Your file sharing issue - clarification - the folder rgar's giving you the
    access denied message is the same folder that's synching for offline files?
    If not, then right click the folder you can't access and go to sharing and
    make sure your account has sufficient permissions. Also go to the properties
    of the folder and the security tab and make sure your ntfs permissions are
    set correctly as well. Also, do you get prompyed for a username password or
    just recieve the deny message?

    Thanks,

    Nick

Windows