W2K Server - SP4 kill internet connection.

Whenever I install service pack 4 on my Windows 2000 Server desktop
system it kills my Internet connect (connecting thru a router to a
cable modem).

JLC

Any thing pop into mind.

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

When you say "kills my internet connect", do you mean your adapter has a red
X as if it's disconnected or it looks connected but no web pages open?

*Note, if you have Norton Internet Security see this link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823087/

Please go to the command line and type ipconfig /all and post the results
here.

Thanks,

Nick

"Jacque LeCox" wrote:

> Whenever I install service pack 4 on my Windows 2000 Server desktop
> system it kills my Internet connect (connecting thru a router to a
> cable modem).
>
> JLC
>
> Any thing pop into mind.

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Strangely enough there's another post from someone I think is having the same
issue. Please provide more details if you can and maybe we can figure
something out.

Thanks.

Nick wrote:
> Strangely enough there's another post from someone I think is having the same
> issue. Please provide more details if you can and maybe we can figure
> something out.
>
> Thanks.
>
> "Jacque LeCox" wrote:
>

>>Whenever I install service pack 4 on my Windows 2000 Server desktop
>>system it kills my Internet connect (connecting thru a router to a
>>cable modem).
>>
>>JLC
>>
>>Any thing pop into mind.

In my little city, the local phone company initially only had
static IPs when ADSL broadband was introduced. They later
switched to DHCP - and now customers had to pay a premium if they
wanted to stick with a static IP.

When installing SP4 on W2K machines around here, it seemed that
on about a quarter of the systems on DHCP would try to revert to
static IPs. Simple taking one minute to change the TCPIP
settings back to DHCP then rebooting did the job every time.