Something bigger than an IPAQ?

March 21, 2005 2:44:00 PM

I currently have an IPAQ 5550 with a 1GB SD card, I love to watch movies on
it when I'm traveling and was wondering if there was something larger that
was windows CE based but would allow me to play DVD's without downloading
them one at a time to the IPAQ? I'm thinking around 8 - 10 inches...

More about : bigger ipaq

Anonymous
March 21, 2005 5:04:22 PM

8" - 10" screen, plays dvd's...
laptop or portable dvd player.

"HotRod" <NOSPAM@youremail.com> wrote in message
news:o hB8yUjLFHA.1528@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
| I currently have an IPAQ 5550 with a 1GB SD card, I love to watch movies
on
| it when I'm traveling and was wondering if there was something larger that
| was windows CE based but would allow me to play DVD's without downloading
| them one at a time to the IPAQ? I'm thinking around 8 - 10 inches...

March 21, 2005 11:57:43 PM

"HotRod" <NOSPAM@youremail.com> wrote in message
news:o hB8yUjLFHA.1528@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>I currently have an IPAQ 5550 with a 1GB SD card, I love to watch movies on
>it when I'm traveling and was wondering if there was something larger that
>was windows CE based but would allow me to play DVD's without downloading
>them one at a time to the IPAQ? I'm thinking around 8 - 10 inches...

I don't think so, rather than sub-notebooks running Windows XP. But, can't
you encode the DVD's to around 150mb? That way we can fit a few 'dvds' on
the SD card?

HTH

Dan
March 22, 2005 3:49:02 AM

Not powered by Windows CE, you can try some portable DVDs players. Please
keep in mind the image quality in some cheap models can dissapoint you, and
the brand devices are fairly expensive. Perhaps a tabletPC can help you,
some size factors like Acer's smallest TPC models can fit your needs,
anyway, some models on this size lack of DVD players (they use external
ones), and they will force you to transfer them to the HD, losing the
advantage you are looking for.
My advise, if you decide for a portable DVD player, is "please test it with
your favourite disc before purchase it, be sure the spin noise is acceptable
to you", some units have very noisy mechanisms.

Carlos A. PĂ©rez
MVP .NET CF Argentina
March 22, 2005 11:28:45 AM

I currently use my IPAQ to run my life and keep track of everything
including NavTech GPS directions when I'm in a new city, right now I do
convert my DVD's to PPC format so that I can watch them but even with a 1 GB
card once I've installed my Caltech GPS maps and some other software it
leaves little room for movies and is a big pain and waste of time. It means
I need another computer to convert the files and then upload them. I also
thought that the bigger screen might be nice when using my navigation
software. THANKS for the ideas.
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 2:19:12 PM

Sounds to me as though you should simply purchase a portable DVD player.
These are the right form factor, and are cheaper than a PPC. Of course, you
cannot play solitaire on them.

--
Richard Grier (Microsoft Visual Basic MVP)

See www.hardandsoftware.net for contact information.

Author of Visual Basic Programmer's Guide to Serial Communications, 4th
Edition ISBN 1-890422-28-2 (391 pages) published July 2004. See
www.mabry.com/vbpgser4 to order.
!