File /registry monitor program

Hello I am looking for a program (hopefully small footprint and freeware)
that will take a snapshot before and after any application installation.
Then create a report that can be sent to anyone who thinks that the
application may have affected their app that was loaded on the same server.

I am not looking for a repackage or uninstall type util, but if that is what
I have to use to get this report, so be it.

Also I have looked at the SMSinstaller, it did not seem to have what I wanted.

Thanks
--
Thank You,

Keith Templin
2 answers Last reply
More about file registry monitor program

    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/regmon.shtml

    Or take registry snapshots before and after the install.

    You can run Programs|Accessories|System Tools|Backup, then choose ERD, then
    if you check the box for "Also backup....", then the reg will also be backed
    up to
    %windir%\repair\RegBack
    leaving the
    %windir%\repair\
    directory files intact as original installation.

    Then archive the files in
    %windir%\repair\RegBack
    These would, in effect, be registry restore points.

    You can replace registry hives from within the recovery console by copying
    the files from your archive to;
    %windir%\system32\config

    To start the Recovery Console, start the computer from the Windows 2000
    Setup CD or the Windows 2000 Setup floppy disks. If you do not have Setup
    floppy disks and your computer cannot start from the Windows 2000 Setup CD,
    use another Windows 2000-based computer to create the Setup floppy disks.
    Press ENTER at the "Setup Notification" screen. Press R to repair a Windows
    2000 installation, and then press C to use the Recovery Console. The
    Recovery Console then prompts you for the administrator password. If you do
    not have the correct password, Recovery Console does not allow access to the
    computer. If an incorrect password is entered three times, the Recovery
    Console quits and restarts the computer. Note If the registry is corrupted
    or missing or no valid installations are found, the Recovery Console starts
    in the root of the startup volume without requiring a password. You cannot
    access any folders, but you can carry out commands such as chkdsk, fixboot,
    and fixmbr for limited disk repairs. Once the password has been validated,
    you have full access to the Recovery Console, but limited access to the hard
    disk. You can only access the following folders on your computer: drive
    root, %systemroot% or %windir%

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Keith Templin" wrote:
    | Hello I am looking for a program (hopefully small footprint and freeware)
    | that will take a snapshot before and after any application installation.
    | Then create a report that can be sent to anyone who thinks that the
    | application may have affected their app that was loaded on the same
    server.

    | I am not looking for a repackage or uninstall type util, but if that is
    what
    | I have to use to get this report, so be it.
    |
    | Also I have looked at the SMSinstaller, it did not seem to have what I
    wanted.

    | Thanks
    | --
    | Thank You,
    |
    | Keith Templin

    "=?Utf-8?B?S2VpdGggVGVtcGxpbg==?="
    <KeithTemplin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

    > I am looking for a program (hopefully small footprint and
    > freeware) that will take a snapshot before and after any
    > application installation. Then create a report that can be sent
    > to anyone who thinks that the application may have affected their
    > app that was loaded on the same server.

    This sounds like the program "InCtrl5" - An installation monitor.
    It does just what you describe.

    <http://www.devhood.com/tools/tool_details.aspx?tool_id=432>

    HTH,
    John