Error Message During Setup

During setup at the point where it is, "Performing Final Tasks" and
Registers Components, I get the following error message:

"Could not open boot file". Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks in advance,

Kenneth
3 answers Last reply
More about error message setup

    How are you installing? To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000
    install CD-Rom or setup disks. The set of four install disks can be created
    from your Windows 2000 CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on the
    CD-Rom and execute makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and
    follow the prompts.

    Be sure to apply these to your new install before connecting to any network.

    http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFECD095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE

    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Kenneth Bryant" wrote:
    | During setup at the point where it is, "Performing Final Tasks" and
    | Registers Components, I get the following error message:
    |
    | "Could not open boot file". Does anyone know how to fix this?
    |
    | Thanks in advance,
    |
    | Kenneth

    I apologize for leaving out the relevant information. I am installing
    Windows 2000 Advanced Server (Microsoft Select Customer version with SP4
    included) on a Compaq Proliant CL380 cluster server. I am using Compaq
    Smartstart version 5.50 for the install of all of the SCSI drivers and
    software for the server. Once the Smartstart program finishes installing
    the drivers, it asks for the Windows 2000 Advanced Server CD and starts
    installing Windows 2000. That is all I can think of. Does this change the
    approach to solving my issue?
    "Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
    > How are you installing? To do a clean install, either boot the Windows
    2000
    > install CD-Rom or setup disks. The set of four install disks can be
    created
    > from your Windows 2000 CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on the
    > CD-Rom and execute makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit)
    and
    > follow the prompts.
    >
    > When you get to the point, delete the existing NTFS and or other
    partitions
    > found. After you delete the partition(s) abort the install, then again
    > restart the pc booting the CD-Rom or setup disks to avoid unexpected drive
    > letter assignments with your new install.
    >
    > Be sure to apply these to your new install before connecting to any
    network.

    http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFECD095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-043.mspx
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-049.mspx
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "Kenneth Bryant" wrote:
    > | During setup at the point where it is, "Performing Final Tasks" and
    > | Registers Components, I get the following error message:
    > |
    > | "Could not open boot file". Does anyone know how to fix this?
    > |
    > | Thanks in advance,
    > |
    > | Kenneth

    Looks like Mike has answer in .advanced_server

    --

    "Kenneth Bryant" <kenneth_bryant@checksinthemail.com> wrote in message
    |I apologize for leaving out the relevant information. I am installing
    | Windows 2000 Advanced Server (Microsoft Select Customer version with SP4
    | included) on a Compaq Proliant CL380 cluster server. I am using Compaq
    | Smartstart version 5.50 for the install of all of the SCSI drivers and
    | software for the server. Once the Smartstart program finishes installing
    | the drivers, it asks for the Windows 2000 Advanced Server CD and starts
    | installing Windows 2000. That is all I can think of. Does this change
    the
    | approach to solving my issue?

Microsoft Components Error Message Windows