Simple question - user profiles

I am setting up our first W2003 Server for development/test purposes.

I would like to set it up, so that no matter who logs on (all users will be
administrators on that machine), they will "see" the same desktop, programs,
settings, etc.

Is there a way to assure this ?

Thanks,

JM
8 answers Last reply
More about simple question user profiles

    Setup a new user profile the way you want it, then logoff/logon as another
    user with local administrative rights and then Control Panel|System|User
    Profiles, select the profile you just setup, Copy To, Browse to
    %systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\Default User
    Change "Permitted to use:" to "Everyone" OK

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Jim Matthews" wrote:
    |I am setting up our first W2003 Server for development/test purposes.
    |
    | I would like to set it up, so that no matter who logs on (all users will
    be
    | administrators on that machine), they will "see" the same desktop,
    programs,
    | settings, etc.
    |
    | Is there a way to assure this ?
    |
    | Thanks,
    |
    | JM

    Thank You !!

    "Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
    > Setup a new user profile the way you want it, then logoff/logon as another
    > user with local administrative rights and then Control Panel|System|User
    > Profiles, select the profile you just setup, Copy To, Browse to
    > %systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\Default User
    > Change "Permitted to use:" to "Everyone" OK
    >

    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "Jim Matthews" wrote:
    > |I am setting up our first W2003 Server for development/test purposes.
    > |
    > | I would like to set it up, so that no matter who logs on (all users will
    > be
    > | administrators on that machine), they will "see" the same desktop,
    > programs,
    > | settings, etc.
    > |
    > | Is there a way to assure this ?
    > |
    > | Thanks,
    > |
    > | JM

    You're welcome.

    --

    "Jim Matthews" wrote:
    | Thank You !!

    Jim-

    I just want to make sure you understand that this solution will give all
    users the same initial profile but that the user profiles are seperate and
    they won't be actually using the same desktop or seeing the same icons -
    these are one time copies and will not be kept in synch with each other so if
    User1 deletes a desktop icon User2 will still have it (barring icons in the
    all users profile). I wasn't sure if you needed the similarities to persist.

    Thanks,

    Nick

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > You're welcome.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "Jim Matthews" wrote:
    > | Thank You !!

    I was wondering about that..

    Yes, I need them to have a single desktop, program list, etc.

    That is, if user logs on and installs a program, when user 2 logs on, he can
    use it

    Is this possible ?

    Thanks,
    "Nick" <Nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Jim-
    >
    > I just want to make sure you understand that this solution will give all
    > users the same initial profile but that the user profiles are seperate and
    > they won't be actually using the same desktop or seeing the same icons -
    > these are one time copies and will not be kept in synch with each other so
    if
    > User1 deletes a desktop icon User2 will still have it (barring icons in
    the
    > all users profile). I wasn't sure if you needed the similarities to
    persist.

    > Thanks,
    >
    > Nick
    >
    > "Dave Patrick" wrote:
    >
    > > You're welcome.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Regards,
    > >
    > > Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    > > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    > >
    > > "Jim Matthews" wrote:
    > > | Thank You !!

    That's really up to the application developer as to whether it understands
    profiles or not. If it has a 'Designed for Windows XP' logo then you should
    be OK.

    --

    "Jim Matthews" wrote:
    |I was wondering about that..
    |
    | Yes, I need them to have a single desktop, program list, etc.
    |
    | That is, if user logs on and installs a program, when user 2 logs on, he
    can
    | use it
    |
    | Is this possible ?
    |
    | Thanks,
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Okay Jim, here's how you do that:

    - On the machine that will be shared open Computer Management and create
    the user accounts (I'm assuming there's no domain)
    - On the machine the users will be sharing create a folder named profile
    (or whatever you want) and share it out.
    - make sure the users all have full control of the profile folder in the
    share and ntfs permissions.
    - on the security tab of the profile folder click advanced and then click
    the owner tab - highlight the administrators group in the list (must be the
    group) and click ok to make them the owner.
    profile tab and in profile path type \\localmachine\profile (where
    localmachine is the name of the local computer).

    What this does is set all the users to use the same 'roaming' profile,
    however because it's local you won't have a performance hit (and you
    shouldn't see any difference between this 'roaming' profile and a local one.

    Keep in mind there will not be multiple copies of the profile so if a user
    deletes something from their desktop it will be gone from everyone's desktop
    also.

    Thanks and I Hope this helps.

    Nick

    "Jim Matthews" wrote:

    > I was wondering about that..
    >
    > Yes, I need them to have a single desktop, program list, etc.
    >
    > That is, if user logs on and installs a program, when user 2 logs on, he can
    > use it
    >
    > Is this possible ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > "Nick" <Nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Jim-
    > >
    > > I just want to make sure you understand that this solution will give all
    > > users the same initial profile but that the user profiles are seperate and
    > > they won't be actually using the same desktop or seeing the same icons -
    > > these are one time copies and will not be kept in synch with each other so
    > if
    > > User1 deletes a desktop icon User2 will still have it (barring icons in
    > the
    > > all users profile). I wasn't sure if you needed the similarities to
    > persist.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Nick
    > >
    > > "Dave Patrick" wrote:
    > >
    > > > You're welcome.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Regards,
    > > >
    > > > Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    > > > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > > > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > > > http://www.microsoft.com/protect

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Many thanks to both of you

    That did it !!

    > Okay Jim, here's how you do that:
    >
    > - On the machine that will be shared open Computer Management and create
    > the user accounts (I'm assuming there's no domain)
    > - On the machine the users will be sharing create a folder named profile
    > (or whatever you want) and share it out.
    > - make sure the users all have full control of the profile folder in the
    > share and ntfs permissions.
    > - on the security tab of the profile folder click advanced and then click
    > the owner tab - highlight the administrators group in the list (must be
    the
    > group) and click ok to make them the owner.
    properties,
    > profile tab and in profile path type \\localmachine\profile (where
    > localmachine is the name of the local computer).
    >
    > What this does is set all the users to use the same 'roaming' profile,
    > however because it's local you won't have a performance hit (and you
    > shouldn't see any difference between this 'roaming' profile and a local
    one.

    > Keep in mind there will not be multiple copies of the profile so if a user
    > deletes something from their desktop it will be gone from everyone's
    desktop
    > also.
    >
    > Thanks and I Hope this helps.
    >
    > Nick
    >
    > "Jim Matthews" wrote:
    >
    > > I was wondering about that..
    > >
    > > Yes, I need them to have a single desktop, program list, etc.
    > >
    > > That is, if user logs on and installs a program, when user 2 logs on, he
    can
    > > use it
    > >
    > > Is this possible ?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > "Nick" <Nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Jim-
    > > >
    > > > I just want to make sure you understand that this solution will give
    all
    > > > users the same initial profile but that the user profiles are seperate
    and
    > > > they won't be actually using the same desktop or seeing the same
    icons -
    > > > these are one time copies and will not be kept in synch with each
    other so
    > > if
    > > > User1 deletes a desktop icon User2 will still have it (barring icons
    in
    > > the
    > > > all users profile). I wasn't sure if you needed the similarities to
    > > persist.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > >
    > > > Nick

Microsoft Windows