Simple question - user profiles

I am setting up our first W2003 Server for development/test purposes.

I would like to set it up, so that no matter who logs on (all users will be
administrators on that machine), they will "see" the same desktop, programs,
settings, etc.

Is there a way to assure this ?

Thanks,

JM

Setup a new user profile the way you want it, then logoff/logon as another
user with local administrative rights and then Control Panel|System|User
Profiles, select the profile you just setup, Copy To, Browse to
%systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\Default User
Change "Permitted to use:" to "Everyone" OK

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Jim Matthews" wrote:
|I am setting up our first W2003 Server for development/test purposes.
|
| I would like to set it up, so that no matter who logs on (all users will
be
| administrators on that machine), they will "see" the same desktop,
programs,
| settings, etc.
|
| Is there a way to assure this ?
|
| Thanks,
|
| JM

Thank You !!

"Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
> Setup a new user profile the way you want it, then logoff/logon as another
> user with local administrative rights and then Control Panel|System|User
> Profiles, select the profile you just setup, Copy To, Browse to
> %systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\Default User
> Change "Permitted to use:" to "Everyone" OK
>

> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Jim Matthews" wrote:
> |I am setting up our first W2003 Server for development/test purposes.
> |
> | I would like to set it up, so that no matter who logs on (all users will
> be
> | administrators on that machine), they will "see" the same desktop,
> programs,
> | settings, etc.
> |
> | Is there a way to assure this ?
> |
> | Thanks,
> |
> | JM

You're welcome.

--

"Jim Matthews" wrote:
| Thank You !!

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Jim-

I just want to make sure you understand that this solution will give all
users the same initial profile but that the user profiles are seperate and
they won't be actually using the same desktop or seeing the same icons -
these are one time copies and will not be kept in synch with each other so if
User1 deletes a desktop icon User2 will still have it (barring icons in the
all users profile). I wasn't sure if you needed the similarities to persist.

Thanks,

Nick

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> You're welcome.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Jim Matthews" wrote:
> | Thank You !!

I was wondering about that..

Yes, I need them to have a single desktop, program list, etc.

That is, if user logs on and installs a program, when user 2 logs on, he can
use it

Is this possible ?

Thanks,
"Nick" <Nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Jim-
>
> I just want to make sure you understand that this solution will give all
> users the same initial profile but that the user profiles are seperate and
> they won't be actually using the same desktop or seeing the same icons -
> these are one time copies and will not be kept in synch with each other so
if
> User1 deletes a desktop icon User2 will still have it (barring icons in
the
> all users profile). I wasn't sure if you needed the similarities to
persist.

> Thanks,
>
> Nick
>
> "Dave Patrick" wrote:
>
> > You're welcome.
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
> > Microsoft Certified Professional
> > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
> >
> > "Jim Matthews" wrote:
> > | Thank You !!

That's really up to the application developer as to whether it understands
profiles or not. If it has a 'Designed for Windows XP' logo then you should
be OK.

--

"Jim Matthews" wrote:
|I was wondering about that..
|
| Yes, I need them to have a single desktop, program list, etc.
|
| That is, if user logs on and installs a program, when user 2 logs on, he
can
| use it
|
| Is this possible ?
|
| Thanks,

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Okay Jim, here's how you do that:

- On the machine that will be shared open Computer Management and create
the user accounts (I'm assuming there's no domain)
- On the machine the users will be sharing create a folder named profile
(or whatever you want) and share it out.
- make sure the users all have full control of the profile folder in the
share and ntfs permissions.
- on the security tab of the profile folder click advanced and then click
the owner tab - highlight the administrators group in the list (must be the
group) and click ok to make them the owner.
profile tab and in profile path type \\localmachine\profile (where
localmachine is the name of the local computer).

What this does is set all the users to use the same 'roaming' profile,
however because it's local you won't have a performance hit (and you
shouldn't see any difference between this 'roaming' profile and a local one.

Keep in mind there will not be multiple copies of the profile so if a user
deletes something from their desktop it will be gone from everyone's desktop
also.

Thanks and I Hope this helps.

Nick

"Jim Matthews" wrote:

> I was wondering about that..
>
> Yes, I need them to have a single desktop, program list, etc.
>
> That is, if user logs on and installs a program, when user 2 logs on, he can
> use it
>
> Is this possible ?
>
> Thanks,
> "Nick" <Nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Jim-
> >
> > I just want to make sure you understand that this solution will give all
> > users the same initial profile but that the user profiles are seperate and
> > they won't be actually using the same desktop or seeing the same icons -
> > these are one time copies and will not be kept in synch with each other so
> if
> > User1 deletes a desktop icon User2 will still have it (barring icons in
> the
> > all users profile). I wasn't sure if you needed the similarities to
> persist.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Nick
> >
> > "Dave Patrick" wrote:
> >
> > > You're welcome.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
> > > Microsoft Certified Professional
> > > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/protect

Many thanks to both of you