2003 Server SP1 Issue

I just tried to upgrade my HP NAS1500 (Windows 2003 Server Appliance
Addition) to SP1 and it HOSED the system.

I got an error saying that we were not in compliance with licensing for the
server, it blue screened after 1 minute and rebooted. I have looked on HPs
site, and MS Support, but have found nothing, I have even looked in Google
groups and have seen nothing.

I was able to get the server back by botting in safe mode and uninstalling
the SP (something I am not too fond of).

Does anyone know if there has been an issue with NAS Software and SP1? (Or
has anyone seen this with another system?)

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

First thing don't take it to heart when people tell you this was irresponsibe
because comments like that have no place when someone needs help. Besides,
you never said this was a production server and for all we know you've been
beta-testing this SP for the past four months. Heck, maybe this service pack
enables a feature on your device that's a bussiness requirement or maybe you
just didn't want to give the bad guys 90 days to test now known exploits on
your unprotected box. Whatever the reason, no situation teaches the same
lesson to two people.

Though my scenario is very different, it raised a flag with me when you
mentioned HP and licensing error because we were just told by HP that the
Windows product key on hundreds of our workstations was no longer valid and
the only way to activate an install done without their restore disk would be
to call Microsoft, read them the SKU off the machine and then get a new code.
I wonder if your error is the result of a similar license snafu that SP1
wasn't prepared to handle (it's a shot in the dark but hey).

Good luck.

Nick

"McGraw" wrote:

> I just tried to upgrade my HP NAS1500 (Windows 2003 Server Appliance
> Addition) to SP1 and it HOSED the system.
>
> I got an error saying that we were not in compliance with licensing for the
> server, it blue screened after 1 minute and rebooted. I have looked on HPs
> site, and MS Support, but have found nothing, I have even looked in Google
> groups and have seen nothing.
>
> I was able to get the server back by botting in safe mode and uninstalling
> the SP (something I am not too fond of).
>
> Does anyone know if there has been an issue with NAS Software and SP1? (Or
> has anyone seen this with another system?)

I think you should talk with HP about the upgrade to SP1. There must be a
separate version for the upgrade of the appliances.

--
Andrei Ungureanu
www.eventid.net

"McGraw" <McGraw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just tried to upgrade my HP NAS1500 (Windows 2003 Server Appliance
> Addition) to SP1 and it HOSED the system.
>
> I got an error saying that we were not in compliance with licensing for
> the
> server, it blue screened after 1 minute and rebooted. I have looked on
> HPs
> site, and MS Support, but have found nothing, I have even looked in Google
> groups and have seen nothing.
>
> I was able to get the server back by botting in safe mode and uninstalling
> the SP (something I am not too fond of).
>
> Does anyone know if there has been an issue with NAS Software and SP1?
> (Or
> has anyone seen this with another system?)

I forgot to mention that got the update by going to Windows update and
installing from there. So it should have been the "correct version" (at
least one would think)

"Andrei Ungureanu" wrote:

> I think you should talk with HP about the upgrade to SP1. There must be a
> separate version for the upgrade of the appliances.
>

> --
> Andrei Ungureanu
> www.eventid.net
> Free Windows event logs reports
> http://www.altairtech.ca/evlog/
>
> "McGraw" <McGraw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I just tried to upgrade my HP NAS1500 (Windows 2003 Server Appliance
> > Addition) to SP1 and it HOSED the system.
> >
> > I got an error saying that we were not in compliance with licensing for
> > the
> > server, it blue screened after 1 minute and rebooted. I have looked on
> > HPs
> > site, and MS Support, but have found nothing, I have even looked in Google
> > groups and have seen nothing.
> >
> > I was able to get the server back by botting in safe mode and uninstalling
> > the SP (something I am not too fond of).
> >
> > Does anyone know if there has been an issue with NAS Software and SP1?
> > (Or
> > has anyone seen this with another system?)

And this is why one should wait at least 90 days before installing any
server service pack. It is irresponsible to install anything on a
production server the day it is released.

With any specialized appliance device, you need to work with the vendor on
major upgrades like this. Now that you are in this, how are your backup
tapes? That will probably be your best solution.

--
Ryan Hanisco
MCSE, MCDBA

>I forgot to mention that got the update by going to Windows update and
> installing from there. So it should have been the "correct version" (at
> least one would think)
>
> "Andrei Ungureanu" wrote:
>
>> I think you should talk with HP about the upgrade to SP1. There must be a
>> separate version for the upgrade of the appliances.
>>

>> --
>> Andrei Ungureanu
>> www.eventid.net
>> Free Windows event logs reports
>> http://www.altairtech.ca/evlog/
>>
>> "McGraw" <McGraw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I just tried to upgrade my HP NAS1500 (Windows 2003 Server Appliance
>> > Addition) to SP1 and it HOSED the system.
>> >
>> > I got an error saying that we were not in compliance with licensing for
>> > the
>> > server, it blue screened after 1 minute and rebooted. I have looked on
>> > HPs
>> > site, and MS Support, but have found nothing, I have even looked in
>> > Google
>> > groups and have seen nothing.
>> >
>> > I was able to get the server back by botting in safe mode and
>> > uninstalling
>> > the SP (something I am not too fond of).
>> >
>> > Does anyone know if there has been an issue with NAS Software and SP1?
>> > (Or
>> > has anyone seen this with another system?)

Jon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2003

This is perhaps the classiest reply to a post that I have seen in a
long time.... Nice Job.

Nick wrote:
> First thing don't take it to heart when people tell you this was
irresponsibe
> because comments like that have no place when someone needs help.
Besides,
> you never said this was a production server and for all we know
you've been
> beta-testing this SP for the past four months. Heck, maybe this
service pack
> enables a feature on your device that's a bussiness requirement or
maybe you
> just didn't want to give the bad guys 90 days to test now known
exploits on
> your unprotected box. Whatever the reason, no situation teaches the
same
> lesson to two people.
>
> Though my scenario is very different, it raised a flag with me when
you
> mentioned HP and licensing error because we were just told by HP that
the
> Windows product key on hundreds of our workstations was no longer
valid and
> the only way to activate an install done without their restore disk
would be
> to call Microsoft, read them the SKU off the machine and then get a
new code.
> I wonder if your error is the result of a similar license snafu that
SP1
> wasn't prepared to handle (it's a shot in the dark but hey).
>
> Good luck.
>
> Nick
>

> "McGraw" wrote:
>
> > I just tried to upgrade my HP NAS1500 (Windows 2003 Server
Appliance
> > Addition) to SP1 and it HOSED the system.
> >
> > I got an error saying that we were not in compliance with licensing
for the
> > server, it blue screened after 1 minute and rebooted. I have
looked on HPs
> > site, and MS Support, but have found nothing, I have even looked in
Google
> > groups and have seen nothing.
> >
> > I was able to get the server back by botting in safe mode and
uninstalling
> > the SP (something I am not too fond of).
> >
> > Does anyone know if there has been an issue with NAS Software and
SP1? (Or
> > has anyone seen this with another system?)

Thanks for the post. I had not heard about the licsensing issue with HP, but
I will get in touch with them about it and post a response from HP Support.

AND, as for being irresponsible...It doesn't phase me that people want to
make comments when they know nothing about the situation.

The server was actually the redundant device that we test ALL upgrades on
prior to upgrading production machines. (I'm not an idiot!)

"Jon" wrote:

> This is perhaps the classiest reply to a post that I have seen in a
> long time.... Nice Job.
>

> Nick wrote:
> > First thing don't take it to heart when people tell you this was
> irresponsibe
> > because comments like that have no place when someone needs help.
> Besides,
> > you never said this was a production server and for all we know
> you've been
> > beta-testing this SP for the past four months. Heck, maybe this
> service pack
> > enables a feature on your device that's a bussiness requirement or
> maybe you
> > just didn't want to give the bad guys 90 days to test now known
> exploits on
> > your unprotected box. Whatever the reason, no situation teaches the
> same
> > lesson to two people.
> >
> > Though my scenario is very different, it raised a flag with me when
> you
> > mentioned HP and licensing error because we were just told by HP that
> the
> > Windows product key on hundreds of our workstations was no longer
> valid and
> > the only way to activate an install done without their restore disk
> would be
> > to call Microsoft, read them the SKU off the machine and then get a
> new code.
> > I wonder if your error is the result of a similar license snafu that
> SP1
> > wasn't prepared to handle (it's a shot in the dark but hey).
> >
> > Good luck.
> >
> > Nick
> >

> > "McGraw" wrote:
> >
> > > I just tried to upgrade my HP NAS1500 (Windows 2003 Server
> Appliance
> > > Addition) to SP1 and it HOSED the system.
> > >
> > > I got an error saying that we were not in compliance with licensing
> for the
> > > server, it blue screened after 1 minute and rebooted. I have
> looked on HPs
> > > site, and MS Support, but have found nothing, I have even looked in
> Google
> > > groups and have seen nothing.
> > >
> > > I was able to get the server back by botting in safe mode and
> uninstalling
> > > the SP (something I am not too fond of).
> > >
> > > Does anyone know if there has been an issue with NAS Software and
> SP1? (Or
> > > has anyone seen this with another system?)

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Here's the HP page describing the license issue. This page is specific to
their 4200 workstation models but at least if they try to deny the issue
exists you have something to show them (I'm not implying they would deny it
just to mislead you, but rather if they're not aware of the issue).

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=PSD_WO050127_CW01&locale=en_US

Thanks and good luck!

Nick