Sign in with
Your question

Two Routers - One Wired, One Wireless Problem

Last response: in Networking
June 4, 2006 12:22:48 AM

Never been so frustrated at not being able to figure this out. I hope someone will be able to help me out here.

I have two routers ( one wired, one wireless). The wired router is connected directly to my cable modem and gets its ip through DHCP. The LAN interface is set up with STATIC ip addresses. I have 3 computers connected to this router directly. The fourth port is connected to one of the LAN connections on the wireless router. The wireless router is then setup with DHCP and NAT turned off. When I connect to the wireless router, either directly or through the wireless connection, I am able to get to the internet.

Now the problem:
The computers connected to the wired router can get to the internet, ping each other, as well as ping any computers connected to the second router. The computers connected to the second router can get to the internet, can ping each other, but CANNOT ping the computers connected directly to the first router. These computer can ping both routers though. I cannot figure out why I am not able to see or ping the computers on the first router, is there anything I missed.

Thanks so much for any help you can give me.
June 4, 2006 1:51:08 AM

When you chain router together you generate more problems. I will try to explain what I think is going on.

Router 1 is Static Ip
Router 2 is dhcp connected through the lan port. NAT OFF, NO WAN (does not know any thing about router 1 devices)

Would be courious what IP the wired port (router1) to a Lan DHCP router 2 issued. It's kind of a backwards setup.

You would be better if the wired router was DHCP and make 2nd router work as a switch. When you turn off NAT most cases it becomes a clasic router. Which means the WAN devices controls the LAN IP address, in other words a hub. Which the Wired Router (1) will control the IP Address for Router 2 lan ports.

Note: Not all router have this feature or react this way. If NAT is on the second router you can go OUT, but others can not come in.
June 4, 2006 2:20:01 AM

I have nearly the same setup. My main router connected to the internet has a static address (192.168.0.1). The only difference is that my wireless router is set to a static IP (192.168.0.2) The routing functionality of the wireless router is shut off.

My wireless router can't get its LAN address by DHCP. Plus if it was assigned automatically, it would be more difficult to find on the network to change the wireless settings.

It is important that both devices are on the same subnet. i.e. 192.168.0.xxx. Check this first

Otherwise, it sounds like to me that you have the routers chained incorrectly. It sounds like you have the WAN port of one of the routers connected to the LAN of the other.

Remember if you are connecting LAN ports you are essentially chaining switches together.
Related resources
June 4, 2006 2:23:47 AM

Sorry, I was not clear. The second router has both DHCP turned off and NAT turned off. All of the computers I am using (both the ones connecting to the 1st router and those connecting to the second router) are configured with set IP addresses so I always know what they are. So it seems to almost act as you were saying, where the 2nd router would be more of a Hub, which is what I wanted. I realize not using a 2nd router and going with a hub would be easier (i got the 2nd router for free), but I was hoping to get this to work and save the money. (At least I was trying to save the money when I thought this was going to be straight forward.)

My first router has an IP of 192.168.1.1 . I set the 2nd router to be 192.168.1.2 . Then all my computers have numbers between 192.168.1.100 and 192.168.1.250.

All computers and routers have the same subnet, and use 192.168.1.1 for its default gateway.
June 4, 2006 1:39:13 PM

Can you confirm that ONLY ONE WAN port is connected? It should be connected to your cable modem. Otherwise it sounds like it should work.

This is exactly what I am doing:
Netgear Help 1 I have had even had the DHCP problems described!

Another - See the picture for wiring diagram

I have netgear routers, but that shouldn't matter, the configuration should work for any. You'll just have to 'translate the settings' for your hardware.
June 4, 2006 1:47:12 PM

Another option is to discard the wired router and connect everything through the wireless router. As long as you have enough ports for your wired computers.
!