erotichamster

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2006
Hi,

I've just booted my new pc a few times, and I got a problem.

It starts fine, I see the picture from the motherboard and then it turns in that black screen where u see how fast your CPU is and how many RAM you got. It looks fine. It stays like that for a few seconds (u know, when ur supposed to hit a button to go into bios mode) and then, it suddenly shuts down.

hmmm, strange.

I boot it up again, and this time it only works for a much smaller amount of time!

hmmmm

I wait for a longer time, try again, and it shuts itself down at around the time of the first time it shutted down.

Since my PSU is rather low for my high-end system, I took out the geforce 8800 GTS and attached my screen to the onboard graphical thingy.

nothing changes. it still shut itself down, and when I immediatly try again, it shuts down even faster..

What is the likely cause?

System:
cpu: intel dual core E6600 (2.4 GHz)
motherboard: Asus P5B-V
graphics card: MSI Geforce 8800 GTS (but this doesn't matter, as I took it out)
2 72 GB Raptor hard drives (I tried with only 1, same problem)
2 GB PATRIOT PC 6400 RAM (800 Mhz, dual channel, 5-5-5-15)

Bjorn0

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
Since you say it shuts down faster when you turn it on right away, I am inclined to think it may be a heat issue.

Double check the heatsink connection, though I am pretty sure the core duos just throttle down when overheating.

If that is all fine, then check other hotspots; such as the memory, north/south bridges, Voltage regulators Etc.

Also check the PSU, feel if the outside is getting hot.

If all else fails, strip down to the basics; CPU, memory, MB and PSU. Then start testing with different components. A different PSU, different memory, different processor.

erotichamster

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2006
an interesting little detail.

the first time I immediatly tried again, it didn't POST. Instead, it gave 1 long beep, 2 short beeps, indicating a video card problem. I figured this was caused because my video card wasn't getting enough power from my PSU, which is why I removed it. Very strange that the problem (shutting down problem, not the beep indication) kept occuring even after that.

Crapola

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2006
What PS do u have? If it is generic low PS, that is probably the problem... Cheap PS really doesn't put out what it is rated at... especially when it gets hot and/or old...

8O

Bjorn0

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
Before you just go and buy a new one, try to find a way to test it with different components. Unless that Zalman is defective, you should have plenty of power to go aroundl.

erotichamster

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2006
thank you for your advice. I'll experiment some more and try to find components to borrow. (I can't go to the shop because I bought online)

4745454b

Titan
Its not the PSU if it also happened when you tried using onboard. (you did remove the card also right?) That said, I wouldn't try running a GTS with a 400W PSU.)

As was already mentioned, its a heat problem. You need to reseat your HSF assembly. Make sure you use freash thermal paste. (TIM) Once you "break" the TIMs contact with the CPU, you need a freash layer.

erotichamster

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2006
Hi.

Checked my CPU cooler, and it wasn't firmly stuck on the CPU.
I re-attached it, and now my computer manages to stay in the BIOS for 2 minutes! Hurray.

I figured out myself it was the thermal paste, since (in all my enthousiasm) I've put half of that stuff on my clothes when I took the CPU out of the box. At that time, I thought it wouldn't matter much, but apparantly it does.

The fact that u have to put new paste on it when u detached it, is new information for me. It confirms my thoughts. Thank you very much for that.

PS: this is the first PC I've built myself. I've learned a lot already (the hard way) :wink:

EDIT: yes, I removed the card from the slot. so yes, you're right. it's the paste. good call!

EDIT2: I'll buy some of that paste and reply here when I tested with extra paste

4745454b

Titan
Learning the hardway, while painful, isn't as bad as learning the EXPENSIVE way. Only start to worry when you get to that point.

My youngest brother decided he was as good as myself, and built himself a computer. He didn't realise what an OEM CPU ment. When he had it built, he realised he didn't have a heatsink/fan for his computer. He decided to power it on anyways, just to make sure he could get into the bios. His 1700+ t-bred didn't even finish the boot detection before his CPU fried. He had to buy another CPU inorder to finish the build.