2K installation picks wrong/bad video driver

I am trying to install 2K on an older Toshiba laptop. While setup is
"installing devices", the screen goes black and stays that way (the HD is
still blinking, so I doubt the installation is hung, just running in the
dark). It appears to me that setup is mis-installing the video driver. It
should be an "ATI Rage LT Pro" according to Toshiba.

$1M Q: Is there a way (command line switch?) to tell setup to NOT probe or
install the video driver on its own? Generic VGA seems to work fine during
the initial install, and I'd be happy if it kept that until I can install my
own driver later on.

I have tried installing in safe mode (install hangs), and VGA mode (screen
still goes blank). This laptop does not have a way to disable PNP in its
BIOS. I didn't see anything in the KB that seemed immediately useful.

Thanks for any advice, -MG.

Things are looking better - knock on wood. (Why do problems always get
solved right after you ask for help?)

If it helps anyone else, an older KB article suggested that for a different
laptop brand you should change the BIOS internal/external VGA setting from
"simultaneous" to "LCD" since 2K may switch to the external VGA port rather
than use the LCD (?). This laptop doesn't have that exact setting in the
BIOS, but it does have "simultaneous" or "automatic", which -sort of- does
the same thing (automatic uses the internal or external port on boot
depending on whether anything's attached to the external port). I changed
from "simultaneous" to "automatic", and setup successfully got through the
stage where it was failing above.

Thanks for reading, -MG.

I'll add in my defense that during the above problem, it didn't -look- like
2K was using the external VGA port, because the laptop function key which
toggles between internal/external and simultaneous, was not bringing the
display back to the LCD.

Not that it matters ;), -MG.