Sign in with
Your question

Serious video distortion using an XFX 7900

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 20, 2006 6:02:23 PM

Hi,

I have an GeForce 7900GT made by XFX and I find that my system is sort of crashing when I push the card too hard. The computer itself is overclocked, but I've confirmed that this problem happens when running all the components at normal speed. Also, since XFX has a good warranty program, I've had this card replaced, so I'm pretty sure it's ok.

Under normal circumstances the card runs just fine. I can play Doom 3 without any problems, and the system remains stable even with the detail, AA and AF levels set high enough that the gameplay is really choppy. However, when I play games like Dawn of War, or Star Wars battlefront 2 under anything other than the absolute minimal settings the whole game will freeze. After about 30 seconds the game will resume, but with significant graphical artifacts (smeers, extruded surfaces, etc). The games will do this until they finally crash and I get the windows cursor back. After a crash the system is pretty unusable. The applications still run ok, but I never get the whole desktop back, and the crashed game is laid over the normal desktop.

I've tried installing a clean copy of windows on a spare hard drive, but ran into the same problems. I've also tried to stress test using prime95, distributed.net's client and 3D Mark. None of them have crashed the system.

I'm using an XFX 7900GT (pci express), a gigabyte GA-G1975X motherboard, and the nvidia drivers 93.71, and right now I'm at a loss. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
December 22, 2006 1:55:57 AM

I took some advice off of another post and checked out my video card with ATITool. I ran the "scan for artifacts" test for an hour and received no errors. However, games are still causing me to loose video. Are there programs that would allow me to test my card against Direct X and openGL graphics separately? I'd like to see if this is a problem related specifically to games written for Direct X.
December 22, 2006 2:59:54 AM

Well, let's narrow down the possibilities:

Motherboard
CPU
Memory
The Games

Everything else has either been replaced, reinstalled, or updated. Specifically, which games does this occur? Has it ever occured in Doom3?
Related resources
December 22, 2006 4:27:12 PM

That is a tough situation. Was the motherboard bios updated? If you are unable to test this video card in another system we will be more then happy to issue you an RMA so we can bring your video card in house for testing to help out.

XFX Support
December 24, 2006 4:32:06 AM

Quote:
Well, let's narrow down the possibilities:

Motherboard
CPU
Memory
The Games

Everything else has either been replaced, reinstalled, or updated. Specifically, which games does this occur? Has it ever occured in Doom3?

Ok, I've run prime95 and dnetc on the cpu for extended periods and I'm pretty comfortable with that being right.

I ran memtest86 for like 6 hours and the memory is not currently overclocked, so I'm pretty happy with that.

This problem has never shown up in Doom3, but it does show up in Dawn of War as well as Battlefront II. It does not show up in Black and Whtie 2, but it's been a while since I played that.

Are there other game demos you would suggest that might narrow things down a bit further? I can't really comment on the motherboard, it's on the latest bios and the timings all seem right, but that's all I know.
December 24, 2006 4:35:50 AM

Quote:
That is a tough situation. Was the motherboard bios updated? If you are unable to test this video card in another system we will be more then happy to issue you an RMA so we can bring your video card in house for testing to help out.

XFX Support

Yeah, the motherboard is on the most current bios. I don't have another computer with PCI Express slots, so I can't really test it anywhere else. However, the card in question is one I recieved from XFX's support team via RMA. XFX has a good reputation, so I'm pretty sure the card itself is not the problem. Thanks for the offer, I may take you up on it eventually.
!