How can the welcome screen go away?

Hello I just got a new laptop and everytime log into windows I get the
classic log on window which asks for a password and user name. (Actually I
don't type anything just click OK and log in). The other option I find is to
get the welcome screen in which you click on your acount name to log in. But
I don't want any of those screens. I just want to open mu computer and start
windows with no welcome screen or window at all. At my last PC that is how
it worked. Why doesn't it work now? In both cases I had WinXP home edition
(SP2) and I am the only user. Any help appreciated.
Thank You
Dimitris
3 answers Last reply
More about screen away

    Hi Dimitris,

    Regardless of the logon currently in use, click start/run, type "control
    userpasswords2" (without the quotes) and click ok. Uncheck the box requiring
    a username and password, click apply/ok and follow the prompts to set up a
    default logon.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Dimitris" <interpackNOSPAM@internet.gr> wrote in message
    > Hello I just got a new laptop and everytime log into windows I get the
    > classic log on window which asks for a password and user name. (Actually I
    > don't type anything just click OK and log in). The other option I find is
    > to get the welcome screen in which you click on your acount name to log
    > in. But I don't want any of those screens. I just want to open mu computer
    > and start windows with no welcome screen or window at all. At my last PC
    > that is how it worked. Why doesn't it work now? In both cases I had WinXP
    > home edition (SP2) and I am the only user. Any help appreciated.
    > Thank You
    > Dimitris

    Good tips given...you can also download and use MS engineer Raymond Chen's
    excellent TweakUI to accomplish autologons as well as other cool stuff:

    Cheers,

    Russell

    Is this what you are looking for:- Automatically log on

    .. Go to the Start Menu and the Run box.
    .. Type in the following:
    control userpasswords2
    .. now click OK
    .. In the new Windows that appears select the account you wish to make the primary
    logon.
    .. Now uncheck the "Users must enter a username and password..." box.
    .. Hit Apply and a dialog box will appear asking you to confirm the selected users
    password.

    Click OK.
    The changes will work the next time you restart your computer.