Sign in with
Your question

Nvidia SLI HIDES bootime Scans

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 20, 2006 6:35:24 PM

Am running two Nvidia's SLI driven Asus 7600GT graphic cards on my AM64 AM2 ASUS M2N32-SLI De Luxe motherboard, 1 G 800Hz DIMM, 650watts Power Supply, 2 200G Seagate SATA HD.

When Windows XP SP2 needs to perform a scandisk at boot time, the procedure appears to be running but nothing other than a blank screen is displayed.

This problem affects every program which require a scan at boot time; all scanning information which should be displayed between the XP statup logo and login screen is hidden.

I have written to Nvidia detailing this problem and received no answer.

Two technicians working for my suppliers now state that this problem plagues a great many other "victims" of Nvidia's SLI and that they also have had no response from Nvidia.

[A friend runs two 6600GT graphics cards on an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe Mobo and experiences the same problems)

Has any one here run into this problem and found a solution or managed to get a response from Nvidia's support elves?

Best wishes for the holidays ...
December 20, 2006 8:18:11 PM

Howdy,

I have the same issue on my dual 6800gt. For me it depends on what slot the monitor is plugged in. My cards say that I should have the monitor plugged into the top of card 2 (I don't see start-up/scanning), but if I plug it into the bottom for card 1, I can see all boot up and scan info.

Just remember that if you unplug your monitor and change locations, you need to reboot.

Doody
Related resources
December 20, 2006 9:02:49 PM

Mesa's right, it's probably a driver issue. WinXP (natively) probably doesn't have a vanilla SLI display driver for DOS. When WinXP boots, scandisk runs before it can load the nVidia SLI display driver and thus you get no video. That seems to be the most logical answer.

As for how to fix it... sounds like it's actually a Microsoft problem. nVidia can't change how WinXP boots. Maybe you should contact M$ about it. Good luck on that.
December 20, 2006 9:08:02 PM

Yea that would seem to make sense why I can see it when the monitor is plugged into card 1 bottom, but not when plugged into card 2 top. It acts like the sli hasn't kicked in yet.
December 20, 2006 9:14:57 PM

Ummm... I could be wrong here, but I don't think it matters which DVI port you're using when SLI is enabled. Am I wrong? I don't remember having to use a specific card when I had SLI. My memory is foggy though.
December 20, 2006 9:22:25 PM

my xfx 6800gts specifically tell me to use the top port of card 2. And that's what messed me up. Because in this port I couldn't see any of the boot up/scanning (literally monitor is blank until Windows login screen). And I couldn't get into BIOS. So I started switching the port the monitor plugs in and nothing changed, until I accidently left it in card 1 bottom, and rebooted, then I could see all the boot/up scanning.

Why I'm supposed to use card 2 top port is beyond me...but I do.
December 21, 2006 6:44:38 PM

I wonder what you have done to succeed in getting to view the scans on card number 2 !

I tried plugging my monitor on each of the ports (on both GPUs), restarting Windows after each new connection, and still cannot get to view the actual scanning in action.

Either ports on card number 1 provide the POST (and access to the BIOS) and go through the usual routine on the way to the desktop. But there are still no viewable scans.

When I use either ports on card number2, I see none of the POST data and end up directly on Windows desktop.

I also tried installing a different NVIDIA driver (nForce 590 SLI - Windows XP 32-Bit For AMD) and returned to the previous one (93.71)...

All to no avail...

I was about to scrap all this NVIDIA JUNK after several months of searching in vain.

Although I seem to have wasted hundreds better spent anywhere but with grifters who do not support their product, I'll be holding on for a bit longer since you seem to have miraculously solved your NVIDIA's quandary in spite of their irresponsive and irresponsible SLY GARBAGE

I had been told to stay clear of anything related to NVIDIA but I bought their junk anyway on the strenght of a very favorable review from a very reputable source ... live and learn.

IF you can think of ANY detail which you might have overlooked when posting your "solution", please let me know.

Best wishes for the season and thanks for taking time to post your answers.

Alain Zola
December 21, 2006 8:45:01 PM

Fascinating. You're the first person I've ever seen complain about this.
December 21, 2006 10:40:12 PM

Quote:
Fascinating. You're the first person I've ever seen complain about this.

So far there are two of us in my circle of friends who are plagued by the exact same problem.

Three full time technicians also have confirmed that several of their SLI clients have experienced this problem without getting any solution from NVIDIA.

It is worth noting that, although there are plenty of similar complaints posted on the web, none seem to be deserving of NVIDIA's ministrations.

Also, NVIDIA has not answered my or my technicians request for an explanation or a solution.

You may rest assured that there is nothing "fascinating" with this problem
or the failure of the supplier to provide support.

Season's greetings...
December 22, 2006 4:31:10 PM

An eyeful of what?

Both of those links lead to the same page which has two people having issues with the 93.71 driver. Issues that are unrelated to your problem of not being able to see a scandisk at boot. The initial poster solved the issue by resorting back to the 91.47 drivers. Taking the link from the second poster with the problem takes you to a post in eVGA's forums with somebody who had similiar problems (not yours) but is able to resolve the them by going back to older drivers. There are 6 additional posters on that link with the same issue (not yours) and I have a hunch that they'd solve their problem by reverting back to older drivers as well.

Nvidia and ATI both have had and will have their share of driver problems and chances are Nvidia is well aware of the that issue and will fix it on the next driver refresh which is the best way for them to deal with a problem.

It's also interesting to note that nearly all of them (including you) are using Asus boards. rubberneck is running a DFI, but he solved his problem by swapping his cards around. Asus has had more than their share of problems in the past and could be part of their problem as well.

mpjesse's explanation of your issue sounds like a valid one and I trust his opinion in the matter far greater than I would most others but looking at your next response it looks as if you completely ignored his post and instead decided to bash Nvidia and spread FUD.

And BTW, you have wasted hundreds of dollars by running 2 7600GTs in SLI. For the cost of those two cards you could've gotten a single card solution that would've performed better. :wink:

Merry Christmas and have a nice day.
December 22, 2006 5:11:23 PM

Hmm, my dual monitors always boot up with both of them on, and run scandisk with both on, each in a slot.

Did you read Nvidias Online SLI Help? They may have better knowledge of this?
http://www.nvidia.com/page/support.html

From what I have read though when in SLI its only for single monitor setup. With this being said it seems only logical that one port on your sli setup will work, so the other recommendations of changing which one your monitor is connected to is probably the best option.
December 22, 2006 5:39:50 PM

Quote:
An eyeful of what?

Both of those links lead to the same page which has two people having issues with the 93.71 driver.

Indeed! As you can now see, a quick perusal of the search functions available to you and to anyone, provided you with a hint that the problem does exist, notwithstanding your ignorance of it.

Quote:
The initial poster solved the issue by resorting back to the 91.47 drivers....and I have a hunch that they'd solve their problem by reverting back to older drivers as well.

I and others have tried that "solution" to no avail.

Quote:
It's also interesting to note that nearly all of them (including you) are using Asus boards.

Which leads one to question the integrity of the nvidia chipset on those boards.

Quote:
mpjesse's explanation of your issue sounds like a valid one ... but looking at your next response it looks as if you completely ignored his post

If you read my comments more carefully, you may note that I specifically mentioned some of the driver changes I tried; I did not fill the page with all of the false starts and dead-end solutions I have tried so far.

I did appreciate mpjesse's thoughts and speculations on the subject and did offer my thanks to both of the participants in this thread, at the bottom of my message.

Quote:
And BTW, you have wasted hundreds of dollars by running 2 7600GTs in SLI :wink:

Q.E.D.: Thanks for supporting my contention that NVIDIA SLI and its basketful of problems (unsupported by "new driver releases" or customer support) has proven to be a frustrating waste of valuable time and money.

Best wishes for the New Year ...
December 22, 2006 6:39:34 PM

Quote:

Did you read Nvidias Online SLI Help? They may have better knowledge of this?
http://www.nvidia.com/page/support.html

That link leads to Nvidia's general support page where they state :"it is not possible for NVIDIA to directly support their products".

That limitation is understandable in cases where products are purchased through their "partners", (i.e.:ASUS); Nvidia should not however dismiss their own responsibility to provide viable, tested, reliable technology.

The Nvidia page which is more pertinent to their SLI promotion is :http://uk.slizone.com/object/slizone2_build_uk.html

When I asked my suppliers to build my computer to specs, I specifically ordered add-in cards, motherboard, power supply and memory which were listed in the top level range of Nvidia's certified SLI components at the time of purchase. (See these in their own web pages at the link provided above).

The boot scan problem was reported to Nvidia by my suppliers' tech staff; both a friend's ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe and my own ASUS M2N32SLI Deluxe were put through a battery of tests in order to try and ascertain the nature of the boot scan problem.

No combination of setups or modification of parameters (short of removing one graphic card from the SLI setup) brought relief from that problem.

Yet, some among us in this forum, seem to have managed a solution through a reversion to earlier drivers, a solution which did not work with the ASUS motherboards.

In that respect, Anoobis provided a valid observation.

When ASUS was contacted on this matter, they refused to even discuss the possibility that their Nvidia based SLI motherboards were at fault.

My thanks to you and to all who have tried to offer their help.

Best season's wishes to all.
December 22, 2006 6:56:46 PM

Quote:
An eyeful of what?

Both of those links lead to the same page which has two people having issues with the 93.71 driver.

Indeed! As you can now see, a quick perusal of the search functions available to you and to anyone, provided you with a hint that the problem does exist, notwithstanding your ignorance of it.
The problem that those posters are having is not the one you indicated in your initial post. Not once did I deny that a problem didn't exist. I simply agree with mpjesse's explanation of the your problem as well as his solution.

Quote:
The initial poster solved the issue by resorting back to the 91.47 drivers....and I have a hunch that they'd solve their problem by reverting back to older drivers as well.

I and others have tried that "solution" to no avail.
See above. Not once did I say it was the answer to your problem. I indicated that it was an answer to their problem, which is different from yours.

Quote:
It's also interesting to note that nearly all of them (including you) are using Asus boards.

Which leads one to question the integrity of the nvidia chipset on those boards.
That is a possibility. Hardware from any manufacturer can be subject to problems.

Quote:
mpjesse's explanation of your issue sounds like a valid one ... but looking at your next response it looks as if you completely ignored his post

If you read my comments more carefully, you may note that I specifically mentioned some of the driver changes I tried; I did not fill the page with all of the false starts and dead-end solutions I have tried so far.

I did appreciate mpjesse's thoughts and speculations on the subject and did offer my thanks to both of the participants in this thread, at the bottom of my message.
I did read your posts. Several times in fact. Most of what you noted wouldn't apply to your problem if the root of the problem is in fact what mpjesse had suggested.

Quote:
And BTW, you have wasted hundreds of dollars by running 2 7600GTs in SLI :wink:

Q.E.D.: Thanks for supporting my contention that NVIDIA SLI and its basketful of problems (unsupported by "new driver releases" or customer support) has proven to be a frustrating waste of valuable time and money.

Best wishes for the New Year ...
A quick perusal of those same search functions available to you and to anyone, would have informed you that SLI is a valid solution over a single card setup when gaming at very high resolutions and with very high-end hardware. Plenty of people use SLI and Crossfire setups in this way and enjoy the benefits of them. It would also have informed you that there have always been problems with both ATI's and nVidia's drivers regardless of whether you're running a single card or multiple card setup and that both companies do work hard at fixing them.

I'll meet you halfway though. A lot of it is marketing hype that both ATI and nVidia are guilty of. Marketing that unfortunately causes many people to make bad decisions before doing some good research and spending their money. Marketing propaganda that many shops and large retail stores will spew out as fact to woo unsuspecting customers into thinking they'll get twice the performance because they've got two cards.
December 22, 2006 7:37:12 PM

Its a combination of bios and drivers... Some bios have a selection for initial card to use. If so, use whichever one you want. If not, then use the card in pci slot 1 (or 0, the lowest numbered slot) as that will be the first active card until the OS loads the sli drivers.

My 2p...
December 22, 2006 8:17:23 PM

Quote:

-a- SLI is a valid solution over a single card setup when gaming at very high resolutions and with very high-end hardware. Plenty of people use SLI and Crossfire setups in this way and enjoy the benefits of them.

-b- It would also have informed you that there have always been problems with both ATI's and nVidia's drivers regardless of whether you're running a single card or multiple card setup and

-c- that both companies do work hard at fixing them.

Your statements -a- and -b- are not in question here.

Your statement -c- however is not only highly questionable in view of my own experience combined with that of my suppliers' technicians, it is contradicted by the very fact that the boot scan problem has been reported to Nvidia several months ago and has not even been acknowledged while SLI is still promoted without any caveat.

A reply to our legitimate support requests would have been more in line with your affirmation "that both companies do work hard at fixing [problems]"

Quote:
I'll meet you halfway though. A lot of it is marketing hype that both ATI and nVidia are guilty of.

I have little interest in nor any wish to dwelve here in a discussion of the sort of unprincipled ethical conduct which permeates unabashed consumerism or the grifting which awaits even well advised consumers.

In this particular instance, I did not only research and buy into a technology which you yourself consider "valid" and which Nvidia goes to great lengths to circumscribe in specific details in its web pages referenced earlier, I expected no more nor less than a receptive attitude from the vendor if and when problems arise and are submitted in earnest.

Bottom line: Both NVIDIA and ASUS have proven themselves to be total failures in that regard. That, my learned friend, is the reality which, earlier, you termed "Frud" and one which I find not at all fascinating but regrettable...
December 22, 2006 8:21:55 PM

Quote:
Its a combination of bios and drivers... Some bios have a selection for initial card to use. If so, use whichever one you want. If not, then use the card in pci slot 1 (or 0, the lowest numbered slot) as that will be the first active card until the OS loads the sli drivers.

That's a positive !

Will check on your suggestion and report.

Thanks much.
December 22, 2006 9:38:27 PM

Quote:
An eyeful of what?

Both of those links lead to the same page which has two people having issues with the 93.71 driver. Issues that are unrelated to your problem of not being able to see a scandisk at boot. The initial poster solved the issue by resorting back to the 91.47 drivers. Taking the link from the second poster with the problem takes you to a post in eVGA's forums with somebody who had similiar problems (not yours) but is able to resolve the them by going back to older drivers. There are 6 additional posters on that link with the same issue (not yours) and I have a hunch that they'd solve their problem by reverting back to older drivers as well.

Nvidia and ATI both have had and will have their share of driver problems and chances are Nvidia is well aware of the that issue and will fix it on the next driver refresh which is the best way for them to deal with a problem.

It's also interesting to note that nearly all of them (including you) are using Asus boards. rubberneck is running a DFI, but he solved his problem by swapping his cards around. Asus has had more than their share of problems in the past and could be part of their problem as well.

mpjesse's explanation of your issue sounds like a valid one and I trust his opinion in the matter far greater than I would most others but looking at your next response it looks as if you completely ignored his post and instead decided to bash Nvidia and spread FUD.

And BTW, you have wasted hundreds of dollars by running 2 7600GTs in SLI. For the cost of those two cards you could've gotten a single card solution that would've performed better. :wink:

Merry Christmas and have a nice day.

Brilliant! I love you, man :lol:  I was going to flame the OP for his unjustified bull about "nVidia junk" but I have nothing to add to your post.
December 22, 2006 9:45:37 PM

Quote:
I'll meet you halfway though. A lot of it is marketing hype that both ATI and nVidia are guilty of. Marketing that unfortunately causes many people to make bad decisions before doing some good research and spending their money. Marketing propaganda that many shops and large retail stores will spew out as fact to woo unsuspecting customers into thinking they'll get twice the performance because they've got two cards.

Anoobis, you are a man blessed with infinite patience. I salute you.

And, zolaris, there is no need to get all defensive-offensive. As Anoobis pointed out multiple times, both nVidia and ATI have their share of problems and their cards/drivers have compatibility issues with various motherboards, depending on the manufacturer. It is unethical to blatantly call nVidia or ATI junk. No one likes fanboys in these forums. You came here for help, so be nice and don't call anything "junk". As for tech support problems, they also exist everywhere, though ASUS is one of the worst. Speaking about ASUS, I have yet to buy a bad ASUS product wich would force me to try to deal with their [non-existent] tech support...

Cheers.
December 22, 2006 11:25:43 PM

Quote:
Quote:
No one likes fanboys in these forums.

Nor fangirls who don't offer an informed comment on the substance of the original posting and prefer to question the rhetorical flavor of a poster's legitimate riposte to an arrogant taunt.

Cheers.
December 23, 2006 1:12:36 AM

Quote:
Speaking about ASUS, I have yet to buy a bad ASUS product wich would force me to try to deal with their [non-existent] tech support...

You are blessed. Their RMA process isn't so bad, but it's the website that seriously blows. Not only do half the links not work, they are usually linked to unrelated stuff. Additionally their website is ALWAYS slow and unresponsive.

There's no excuse.

If they would simply add more bandwidth or servers, there'd be NO question as to who the best all around motherboard manufacturer is.
December 23, 2006 1:47:31 AM

I've only been on the forums for almost a year now. As I noted in my first post to this thread, this is the first I've heard of this problem and yet there are plenty of people on these forums who run SLI systems and have not reported it. This doesn't mean they do not experience it, but it doesn't mean they do either. We just haven't heard of it which tells me people either don't care that they cannot view their scandisk running and don't think of it as serious a problem as you do or, have solved the issue on their own without help from these forums.

Yes, it is a bit of bad form on nVidia's part for not replying back to you or your technicians, but that's nothing new with these companies. They couldn't possibly be busy trying to solve actual issues that are entirely related to their product. I understand your frustration, but tech support is a common problem with a lot of computer related companies.

nVidia and ATI do both work hard to release stable drivers. I've witnessed both companies come a long way to support their hardware in this matter and one minor incident like this isn't going to sway my thinking on the subject. Trust me when I say ATI and nVidia both work hard to support their products when meaningful issues arise.

Quote:
In this particular instance, I did not only research and buy into a technology which you yourself consider "valid" and which Nvidia goes to great lengths to circumscribe in specific details in its web pages referenced earlier, I expected no more nor less than a receptive attitude from the vendor if and when problems arise and are submitted in earnest.

It is a valid technolgy when used under the stipulations that I noted. Unless you're gaming at very high resolutions you will not see much benefit from SLI or Crossfire and unless your using high-end equipment you will not see a huge performance advantage that a single card solution couldn't deliver for nearly the same price. This information is widely available on this and other forums as well as across the web. Apparently your research was flawed.

But what the hell. Go ahead and get rid of all that nVidia equipment and go with ATI. Maybe it will solve your problem, maybe it won't. I don't care anymore as you'll just go off on a rant about how bad ATI is if it doesn't work and if it does work you'll just come back with some kind of stupid "I told you so argument" that will be just as transparent as your current arguement. While you're at it, why don't you just go ahead and Crossfire two mid-range ATI cards like X1650XTs as you'll obviously see the logic in this because your "research" justified it with two mid-range 7600GTs.

Whatever you decide to go with, good luck and best wishes.

And Slava, thanks for your support but I fear you'll only be flamed further if you waste anymore time with this thread.
December 23, 2006 2:51:58 AM

Quote:

It is a valid technolgy when used under the stipulations that I noted. Unless you're gaming at very high resolutions you will not see much benefit from SLI or Crossfire and unless your using high-end equipment you will not see a huge performance advantage that a single card solution couldn't deliver for nearly the same price. This information is widely available on this and other forums as well as across the web.

I find it highly regrettable that a poster whose intelligence is not in doubt resorts to setting up strawmen arguments in order to prove a non-existent point.

In blunt terms, I nowhere and at no time have referred to the performance aspect of SLI, to its merits vs single gpu's or to any comparative advantage inherent in the thechnology. That, sir, is your strawman, whistling in the wind.

My one and only concern stated from the very beginning of this thread has been with NVIDIA's (and perhaps ASUS') SLI related blank screen problem which is also widely reported elswhere.

Quote:
Apparently your research was flawed.

You might have charitably considered that no matter how diligent a layman may be while researching new technologies, his layman's diligence will never safeguard him against the marketing wiles of the experts. In the end, we simple mortals, are unfortunately at the mercy of the '"Goaouls" and their arcane strategies.

Nonetheless, I appreciate your generous recognition of the tribulations provoked by both ASUS and NVIDIA through their support inadequacies.

I gladly offer my excuses to you if my relating a factual exasperating experience has offended your sensibilities.

After all, 'tis a time to be merry, ain't it?
December 23, 2006 3:06:56 AM

One has to apologise.... Seems that there can be no post these days that doesn't start a flame-war. I for one am embarrassed, and hope that it doesn't turn off a knowledgeable poster. However, you've been following the forums, so ... I guess I am telling you what you already know. It is a sad day for Tom's forums, in my opinion.
December 23, 2006 3:29:55 AM

Tried changing the Pci-E slot priority in bios?

My mobo can change between either of the two, for a preferred slot.
Sounds much like that's your problem.
December 23, 2006 2:23:41 PM

Quote:
Tried changing the Pci-E slot priority in bios?

There seems to be a consensus building here among knowledgeable posters which targets either the proper selection of PCIEx16 slots on the M2N32-SLI Mobo (there are 6 slots on that board) or the bios parameters OR a combination of these two factors.

If I understand both you and beerandcandy, I should open the computer case and and check that the slots were correctly selected by the tech who put my machine together and then, also check the bios parameters.

I shall try and hope I don't mess up...

Merry holidays ...

THANK YOU.
December 23, 2006 2:35:31 PM

Quote:
"beerandcandy"
"...either sets the mode 12 wrong or is using a different pipe/port combination than what you have"

Would you please check my reply to asdasd123123 above and let me know what you think?

Also, can you elxplain what you mean by "sets the mode 12 wrong"?

I can manage pretty well with software intricacies but am not very comfortable tweaking hardware...

THANKS.
December 23, 2006 5:09:41 PM

If stuff works as I assume, you wouldn't need to pull the case apart.

But also, I've never used SLI on this motherboard I'm afraid, so I don't know for sure really.

Six x16? You sure? O_o I've got to check that card out..
December 23, 2006 5:13:34 PM

Nah, you probably misunderstood the info.
It only has two graphics ports, but it does have six pci slots.

So you don't need to open the case, there's no third slot to put the cards into.

Try all four monitor connectors, and try altering the Pci-Ex priority, if that helps.
If not, there's probably not much you can do about that problem.
December 23, 2006 6:35:16 PM

Quote:

Six x16? You sure? O_o I've got to check that card out..

I did not state it clearly ... In fact there are two PCI Express x16 slots (a primary and a secondary).

In between the two PCI Express x16 slots, there is one PCI Express x4 slot and one PCI Express x1 slot.

On the left side of those 4 PCI Express slots, there are two standard PCI slot for a total of 6 slots.

I have also tried plugging my monitor in each of the ports on each graphic card; I restarted after each move... No luck.

Finally, can you tell me how I can "try altering the Pci-Ex priority" ? I find no provision for changing the default parameters in the bios (except in the IRQ resources section with which I would rather not mess around)...

Thanks for your help.
December 23, 2006 7:58:13 PM

As you may know by now your issue is with Asus not Nvidia. That is where your support cannel is. But again probably not a very hopeful option. I have an Asus board and EVGA 7800 GT CO's is SLI. No problems. I'm surprised the checking of different outputs didn't pan out. So I'm thinking 2 possible solutions. 1. In Asus MB bios they have a logo splash screen with this option on yes you see no Boot scan info. The actual logo may have been flashed out or corrupted and you are just getting a blank screen instead. I know simple and stupid but I know it has caught a few. And 2. would be to step back your bios. I know i'm not running the latest version but close. I will check my version when i get home.
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 168 Î Nvidia
December 24, 2006 1:19:15 PM

I found this issue with the 93.71 drivers back in November after the honourable Chuckshissle gave the heads up about their release.

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=1336932#1336932

The point of this post?, a forum search can reveal all sometimes :wink:

Try clearing any and all traces of the 93.71 drivers and then install the 91.47's or earlier, it worked for me and I use an Abit board and a mis-matched pair of 7900GT's.

Have a Happy Crimbo and a groovy New Year
December 24, 2006 8:42:53 PM

Quote:

The point of this post?, a forum search can reveal all sometimes :wink:

Which is what I did, a moment ago, after all helpful suggestions provided and applied so far have not solved the problem

As I wrote earlier, instances of this situation are cropping elsewhere. See: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=18565

Quote:
Try clearing any and all traces of the 93.71 drivers and then install the 91.47's or earlier, it worked for me and I use an Abit board and a mis-matched pair of 7900GT's.

I used Driver Cleaner Pro, removed the 93.71 and re installed the 91.47; still no luck

I have yet to try reverting back to the 85.xx Nvidia drivers as some one suggested. That will be my next foray into this multi-faceted mystery...

Thanks for you suggestions and best wishes for the New Year !
December 25, 2006 12:28:04 AM

Quote:

MADAM or SIR! YOU ARE TO BE REVERENTLY THANKED !!!

You have provided the key to solving my long suffering problem with NVidia's blocking of boot scans !

I followed you suggestions, removed Nidia's 93.71 Driver, tried several archived Nvidia drivers and finally succeeded in getting all my scans to appear when needed with Nvidia's 84.21 Driver

For others who have had the same problem:

THOROUGHLY remove Nvidia's 9xx drivers.

To do so, you not only run Windows XPSP2's add/remove feature but ALSO RUN a good DRIVER CLEANER.

I used Driver Cleaner Pro (http://www.drivercleaner.net) and followed instructions TO THE LETTER, by which I mean running both Driver Cleaner Pro's CAB Cleaning and Nvidia DRIVER Cleaning as follows:

DRIVER CLEANER PRO / http://www.drivercleaner.net

nVidia:

1. Unplug nic card or modem from net or disconnect

2. Remove nvidia from add/remove programs

3. Reboot into safe mode (F8 during boot up)

4. On reboot into safe mode WinXP SP1/SP2 will auto detect and install drivers. Just let it do its thing. If you can cancel out of the auto install hardware wizard then skip the rest and run Driver Cleaner! If you can NOT cancel out of auto detect wizard then...

5. Navigate to device manager->display adapters->highlight nVidia and click uninstall or remove but don't reboot

6. Disable any AntiVirus Software (If you don't disable is than it could give trouble)

7. Run Cab Cleaner (not needed, but recommended)

8. Run Driver Cleaner

9. Empty recycle bin and reboot

10. Install the new drivers (Make sure your Anti-Virus software is still disabled while you install your new drivers.)

11. Reconnect your nic card or modem.

12. ENJOY SEEING INSTRUCTIONS AND PROCEEDINGS OF YOUR VARIOUS BOOT TIME SCANS AGAIN !

My heartfelt thanks to mousemonkey and to all who have provided feedback, suggestions and advice on this thread!

May you all enjoy a happy New Year !
!