30 cm case fans

balister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
I'm looking to build a new system and been really impressed with the specifications and statistics I've found on the Coolermaster CM Stacker 830. One of the things mentioned by Coolermaster is that the Stacker 830 can have 4 12 cm side case fans, 4 8 cm side case fans, 4 9.2 cm side case fans, or 1 30 cm side case fan. I've been looking around to try and find where I could purchase a 30 cm fan, but haven't had any luck (between Pricewatch, Newegg, FrozenCPU, Pricegrabber, and a variety of others). Anyone have any idea on where I might be able to find a 30 cm case fan?

sailer

Splendid
I went to the Coolermaster site and looked at the 30 cm fan. I think that you would probably have to buy it direct from Coolermaster, or maybe it comes with the case. Also, they're labeling it as a 30 cm fan is not really being honest. In normal labeling, that would mean a round fan nearly a foot in diameter.

As Mpilchfamily said, the magnet of such a monster could cause problems, though maybe not as severe as he stated. Still it would be one huge monster. A look at the fan, though, shows that it is a long, skinny squirrel cage type fan that is narrow and may not really provide all that much airflow. I doubt it would have any advantage over a more common 12 cm fan.

db101

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
In all my time looking, I've never seen a 300mm fan for a PC either. However, I have noticed that XClio likes to make their cases with 250mm fans built right in! Is that big enough for ya? I haven't owned a case from XClio, but I'm tempted to try out one of them in the future someday. Mmmmm, big fans.

balister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
No company makes a 300mm fan for PCs. Why would you want such a larg fan? You get a fan that size and the magnets inside may have a chance of damaging your HDD. But you can't find them.

If that were true about the magnet damaging the HDDs, then 12 cm fans would not be placed in the front of the case where they are around 3 cm from the HDDs while a 30 cm fan, placed as shown on a CM Stacker 830 would be 20 cm away from the HDDs.

If you know Physics, you'd realize that the 12 cm fan would cause a more deterimental issue with the HDDs than a 30 cm fan because field strength drops off at (1 / r^2). The only way a magnet on a 30 cm fan could have a detrimental affect would be if the magnet was over 40 times more powerful than that seen in a 12 cm fan.

And the reason I want a fan that large is because a large area means more air moved and leaving in Arizona where temperatures can get up there, I'd rather move as much air through the case possible.

Stewartwi

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
The only info I could really find on the fan is found here.

**EDIT** Nevermind found some more stuff. hehe here

If you get one let me know how it works out for you. I'm getting the Stacker 830 at the end of this month and was thinking about using the crossflow fan as well.

I would love to find an actual review of one. If you run across one let me know that also. Thanks

Stewartwi

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
The Stacker case comes a 120mm in the front and a 120mm in the rear. The side panels will hold a 120mm also. But you have to buy a fan for that. You would have to mod that side panel yourself in order to get a larger fan to go there.

From what I read it says that the stacker case can hold the crossflow fan on the side panel where the 4 120mm fan rack is. At least that's where I think it says it goes I could be wrong. I think it might be a bit obessive to need that many fans. I mean it can hold 9 120mm fans.

Stewartwi

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
Personaly i wouldn't have that many fans blowing into the system. There comes a point where you have too many fans. So much so that you gain no more cooling just more noise. I think the case goes a bit overkill on the fans.

I couldn't agree with you more. My plans for this case is adding water cooling to it so I know I won't need all these fans. I'm planning on using these fans. Here So even if I wanted to use 9 could you imagine how loud that would be?

Stewartwi

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
Speaking of nine fans does anyone happen to know a fan controller that can control nine fans without splicing the wires together?