Thermaltake Intros New Non-Interference Cooler Series

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tall RAM modules for enthusiasts? You do realize RAM doesn't require cooling, right?

Just remove the Goddamn sticks and be done with it. Have mine with no metal thingies running at full speed and no heat in them.

Cheers!

Another product for a problem that doesn't exist.

The only cooling effect of these big RAM coolers is that they "look cool". While they served a purpose (when they were effective) w/ DDR2, they are absolutely useless on DDR3.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=773&Itemid=67&limit=1&limitstart=1
At more than 2" tall in certain areas the [old] Corsair Vengeance could pose a problem for users like me who use large coolers such as the Scythe Mugen 2. I was able to use the Corsair Vengeance only after I mounted the fan on my cooler on the backside. Size is definitely a concern with heat spreaders of this size and therefore I encourage users to check that they will have enough space under their heatsinks before purchasing the Corsair Vengeance kit.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=773&Itemid=67&limit=1&limitstart=6
The problem I have with the [old] Corsair Vengeance is the same I have with many kits of RAM on the market. Companies insist on putting large coolers on their RAM and it limits the choice in CPU heatsinks that can be used within users system. DDR3 does not require these elaborate coolers with its lower voltages which translate to lower temperatures then RAM saw during the DDR, and DDR2 era. Corsair is correcting this with low profile versions of its Vengeance line but ultimately I would like to see the average size of coolers drop instead of having to look for specific low profile versions of a memory line.

murzar

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
This is really weird.. it has been years and a motherboard manufacturer still hasn't fixed the design!

Not that the design needs fixing, why do RAMs even need those cooling solutions?!

murzar

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
[citation][nom]toms my babys daddy[/nom]Why can't the motherboard manufacturers design a mb with the ram slots somewhere else?[/citation]

Wow. Exactly a couple of seconds before I posted mine.

Onihikage

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
One would think they could design the RAM slots to be...I dunno, at an angle? Shouldn't be that difficult, and it would look SO COOL.

adgjlsfhk

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
[citation][nom]Onihikage[/nom]One would think they could design the RAM slots to be...I dunno, at an angle? Shouldn't be that difficult, and it would look SO COOL.[/citation]
the problem there is that inserting ram at an angel could put a lot more stress on the motherboard. It would also have to be slightly wider, but that isn't a big deal.

I still run ddr2 ram for now and my CM hyper 212 evo's fan is in the way of one of my slots so I have to use 2 different Ram cooler styles. This would help me in my situation but will it cool as well and the cooler I have? at the same price point? with out this knowledge I would stick to what I have already.

[citation][nom]Yuka[/nom] Just remove the Goddamn sticks and be done with it.[/citation]

In my case I want to run 8 GB and with my set up I need to use all available slots. So your solution is not feasible for all.

Onihikage

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
[citation][nom]lp231[/nom]Some Dell P4 boards have ram slots at an angle and it doesn't look coolLike this one here
http://autos2.bluesock.com/ebay/farnborough//ebay_images/2307.jpg[/citation]
Well yeah, the whole board looks uncool. However, a sleek, high-end modern board, perhaps one of the kinds that puts ram slots on both sides of the CPU, that would look really badass with angled RAM slots. :D

[citation][nom]toms my babys daddy[/nom]Why can't the motherboard manufacturers design a mb with the ram slots somewhere else?[/citation]
They did... it was called BTX, and it was freaking awesome... but it never caught on. Only thing you will ever see it in are some old Dell and HP motherboards... that's about it.

With DDR4 they will remove the problem entirely by simply including ram on directly on the mobo as close to the CPU as possible, then a little further out there might be some expansion slots for power users to add additional memory.

Terrible idea in my opinion... but I am sure it will happen.

[citation][nom]CaedenV[/nom]With DDR4 they will remove the problem entirely by simply including ram on directly on the mobo as close to the CPU as possible, then a little further out there might be some expansion slots for power users to add additional memory.Terrible idea in my opinion... but I am sure it will happen.[/citation]

As I recall, DDR4 is not ICs built into the mobo. It introduces a point-to-point topology to replace the channels of current memory (meaning every module you add increases bandwidth instead of in setsof two, three, or four), but it is still in modules.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]toms my babys daddy[/nom]Why can't the motherboard manufacturers design a mb with the ram slots somewhere else?[/citation]Increase the distance, reduce max clocks. It is targeted at enthusiasts that might want to push their memory a lot faster than stock. Of course, there's always watercooling... but hey, if these are competitive coolers AND they don't interfere with the memory of your choice, then they might have a home.[citation][nom]Yuka[/nom]Tall RAM modules for enthusiasts? You do realize RAM doesn't require cooling, right?Just remove the Goddamn sticks and be done with it. Have mine with no metal thingies running at full speed and no heat in them.Cheers![/citation]This isn't a product for you then, obviously. There are some who still drive memory at higher voltages to achieve very high clocks. Not many, mind you, especially if you're running an IMC that is voltage sensitive. :p But there are a few out there. I'm not one of them, but just keep in mind that you're strictly talking about your experience with stock voltages and stock speeds.

Ironically, the chips that would benefit the most from increased system memory bandwidth are the ones that are least likely to run OC'd higher-voltage memory - APUs.

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
I have no such issue in my computer...the dual Xeons are nowhere near the ram and the shroud in place ensures that both the CPUs and the 24GB of Ram cool properly.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
CPU RAM lane latency. They have to be close together I believe

G

Looks almost same as C4 minus the side holding brackets. :p
And, another good review, Ryan!
---------------
<a href="http://iphon6.fr/" >iphone 6</a>

Status
Not open for further replies.